Looking for DIY Ceramic Coating Recommendation | FerrariChat

Looking for DIY Ceramic Coating Recommendation

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by KJF127, May 12, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KJF127

KJF127 Karting

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for a good quality diy ceramic coating to apply on my 599. The Gyeon Mohs was applied almost 5 years ago and its time to replace it. Most of the car has clear bra. Thanks.

2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Check the Cquartz Line. UK may be a little tricky depending on your climate but Tio2 is a great coating that’s relatively easy to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Kevin...I'm sure you have done your homework so you know the results you get will only be as good as the prep done on the car prior to application. If it were me, I would have it done professionally. If that and / or your application isn't spot on, then you will have to live with the results. My 2 cents. I want to see pics of that beauty when you are done. I assume no PPF going on? Hope all is well

4. KJF127

KJF127 Karting

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks - will look into it.

MobileJay likes this.
  5. KJF127

KJF127 Karting

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Dan, my son Eric (who you met) and I spent 12 hours on the interior and it looks like new; we enjoy projects together. Right now, I’m doing research and haven’t made any decisions. If it turns out to be above my comfort level, then I’ll have it done professionally. Since taking possession, I’ve been applying Gyeon Cure, as recommended by Gyeon, every two months to nourish the coating but it’s starting to wear down. Glad you’re still interested and will certainly send you pics when she’s done. Hope you’re well.

ifeelfree0 likes this.
  6. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan

https://www.esotericcarcare.com/stay-at-home-diy-kits/

7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Kevin - Kamikaze Miyabi is an extremely easy coating to apply. It is not very sensitive to the length of time it is on and therefore is easy to take off. Kamikaze ISM is about as easy and Miyabi topped with ISM is a great combination that provides a very rich deep gloss. But keep in mind, if the PPF is "worn", adding a coating is not going to miraculously make it look brand new again. I have used Miyabi and ISM for about 5 years now, and it continues to perform and look great. Just one person's opinion.

8. KJF127

KJF127 Karting

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks. The PPF is still fine. There were some spots on the drivers rocker that was able to be improved with heat and polishing compound. For ceramics, five years seems to be the maximum. Does this need periodic nourishing?

9. KJF127

KJF127 Karting

Feb 25, 2017
    North Salem, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  10. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    ISM or Miyabi will last a maximum of 2 years on a daily driver (my experience). I use either Kamikaze overcoat or Polish Angle Cosmic Spritz to keep the coatings looking good. For a daily driver, you may need to clay the car after winter as contaminants will effect the coating if you do not wash the car on a regular basis during the winter months. For a weekend car, the coating will last for a ridiculously long time with very little maintenance. And bugs and grime are MUCH easier to clean off the car.

11. masinari

masinari Karting

Jun 30, 2005
    Manhattan; California; Italy; Shanghai
    Full Name:
    Matthew Asinari DSM

Guys, can you please explain the basic process/procedure step by step to apply ceramic coating. I know how to clay my cars and usually I just then protect them carnauba P21 wax or Zymol. My cars sit covered in my garage. Just garage queens for a few weeks then I drive for a long day trip, clean them, dry them. If there is build up I clay them/wax them.

Ceramic coating sound better. Kindly let me know your advice. And are there downsides to ceramic coating in my case, or they will always be shinier and better protected?

Thank you so much,

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you dont need ceramic for garage queens. ceramic is used to help prevent against the elements. it also is very hard to remove, ie you need aggressive polishing. stick with the clay and carnuba unless you car is in the desert etc.

masinari likes this.
  13. masinari

masinari Karting

Jun 30, 2005
    Manhattan; California; Italy; Shanghai
    Full Name:
    Matthew Asinari DSM

Thank you TT. I appreciate your advice. That is what I thought. Now I know for sure. I think others will appreciate your input.

Thank you again :)

ttforcefed likes this.
  14. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I highly recommend checking out Esoteric’s YouTube page and looking up products. Both Gyeon and Kamikaze have been referenced in this thread, either company produces great products. I last used Gyeon Syncro and it was a breeze to work with. This year I’m using the Kamikaze Miyabi and Zipang combo (different vehicle) and am excited to see how it goes. You cannot go wrong calling Esoteric for advise, Zach has always been great to me.