Looking for F355 F1 TCU! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Looking for F355 F1 TCU!

Discussion in '348/355' started by bders001, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

This is funny. I totally agree. I hate when people tell to just look in the forum for the answer to your question.

2. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The op did not follow up. So no conclusion to this thread. His last post was in July.

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    ????

I don't need the OP to finish it up...just a carrying on result.

This was nice to see.

Is there a concern you have that I do not understand?

4. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    after all the info you and a few other owners had given to the op, it would have been nice to see how and if the problem was resolved. I read the thread and was curious to see what the op ended up doing, did he figure it out or did he convert the system to a manual. If pelagicplague had the same symptoms as the op then i could see an end result to the thread. I was curious to see an end this thread, one way or another, that’s all.

ernie likes this.
  5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Your doesn't blip on downshifts???

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Actually, now that you mention it....I think it does.

:)

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I figgured it had just been a while since you drove.

WATSON likes this.
  8. pelagicplague

pelagicplague Rookie

Aug 24, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    Full Name:
    Alan Hale
    While my symptoms were similar, it was more like being buried up to the neck in an ant pile. A slow and painful death. Started out with the annoying audible alarm every once in a while. No rhyme or reason and no physical differences in the shifting, that I could sense anyway. Then came some intermittent temperamental shifting. It slowly worked itself up to a big fat zero over the course of about a year. Normally I like fixing things myself, but was beginning to realize this was perhaps above my pay grade. Took it to my somewhat local mechanic with an SD2 to get some insight. Root cause ended up being a slightly insufficient voltage being supplied from the TCU to the solenoids in the valve body. Our first fear was that the solenoids might have been causing the issue since, as I'm sure you gentlemen know by now, are not a part you want to locate and/or pay for. Now that the TCU was deemed the LRU, enter Rod and his new board. My first question to my mechanic once he had installed it was about the solenoid consumption. He said all values tested normal, so that was no longer a concern. Music to my wallet. Thanks to all you guys that post your insights here. If I was stuck using the technical manuals, I'm pretty sure I would be the proud owner of a prancing horse garden gnome.

Qavion likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's my understanding that Rod has now at least 3 of his new TCU's installed successfully in cars.

WATSON likes this.
  10. pelagicplague

pelagicplague Rookie

Aug 24, 2014
    Denham Springs, LA
    Full Name:
    Alan Hale
    I remember hearing that he had another F1 that came to his shop shortly after we sent my TCU there. He said it had the same symptoms. Any way you slice it, I'm just glad he made it happen. One less thing we have to worry about in the future.

taz355 and SoCal1 like this.
  11. bders001

bders001 Rookie

Jan 4, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Sorry everyone, its been a while since i've gotten back. I took it to a few shops and all had the same diagnosis, "Replace the whole F1 system." The car has been functioning worse ever since I took it to these shops that claimed they could fix the problem. Have not figured out the problem yet but I am slowly getting to a solution as I test each component according to the diagnosis aids in the manual. I opened up the TCU and found a power unit component not working. I replaced that. The check engine light was on after taking it to these shops. The replacement of the power unit fixed that problem. The car still is not shifting properly however. Have not had time to sit down and work on it. I have not worked on a 355 but I am sure some more patience can lead to a solution. (Additionally, I changed the engine mounts, the pump primes but not shift properly.) I will keep everyone informed when I come to a solution.

jimmym and Qavion like this.
  12. mimo alking

mimo alking Rookie

Aug 6, 2010
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mimo

Unfortunately we faced the same issue, i mean both in F355 F1 system malfunction and ppl who claimed they know the system but turned out they know Nothing!! Now the car in approved ferrari shop, they brought F1 system a life, it changing gear 1st, 2nd, sometimes R or randomly to N.
    They check and fixed all components, they suspect TCU, then noticed its been opened !! but i might find a good shop to check/fix it before i spend more money. Please email me if you fixed your problem, or i will do if i fix mine.
    [email protected]

Thanks

13. bders001

bders001 Rookie

Jan 4, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Hello Everyone,
    After a long time struggle. We have finally solved the problem. I checked every component one by one. Checked all the wiring... checked if each component was working independently. After all the testing, I came to the conclusion that we needed the TCU. Rod at FAI is making them and we bought one off ebay. That resolved the issue. Rod was also very helpful and knowledgeable on the vehicle. We called Rod regarding setting PIS/programming and he was extremely helpful. If I have another problem that I can't resolve with the 355 I will be taking it to Rod in the future.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks to everyone that chimed in.

brogenville, WATSON and Qavion like this.
  14. poz235

poz235 Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Full Name:
    Zach
    I got the last OEM F1 TCU Ferrari had anywhere in the world back in 2015. Unless they make more Rod is going to be very busy, lol.

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not sure it was the last one as I bought mine in 2018 I think