Looking for pics/stories of beat down Ferraris... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Looking for pics/stories of beat down Ferraris...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Meeyatch1, Dec 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

WOW!! I would love to read that or see the pictures.

2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    OUCH, I feel the pain for these cars!

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I can think of 2 stories that beat most here:

First:

250LM going for a blast around some LA (I think) highway ... has a loose and a we crash. Car is not badly damaged. My understanding is that when the tow truck turned up somebody was or started smoking ... they did not notice the petrol leak ... next thing 250LM burns!

Making things worse ... surviving parts then end up in somebodies garage and the chassis was sold to some guy. Guy turns up with a truck and could not fit chassis on it ... so out comes the hacksaw and chassis cut in HALF!!!

Second:

A P3 Ferrari that was converted to a P4 by Ferrari catches fire during the '67 Le Mans. Ferrari not interested in minor fix ... car sits in workshop for many years and chassis (possibly) thrown in to rubbish tip!! ... OR repaired by David Piper and his merry men and paraded as a P3 replica ;) :D :D :D

Lastly:

Also I honestly thought the 250GTO had never had a serious accident (like rollover, etc. ... well aware of the nose shortening stuff ;)) and killed anybody ... guess I was wrong.

Pete

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I recall reading a story a few years ago about a Daytona which was pulled out years after it was dropped into the Hudson river in NYC. As I recall, it was an unrecognizable mess, but the story suggested that the engine alone would still be worth thousands (!?)

I also recall reading years ago in Ferrari World about a Hotelier in Geneva (?) who discovered a derelict testa rossa in a field in Argentina, and had it restored to perfection.

Finally, the most interesting reading is in Dr. Gozzi's recent book, rtegarding the 8 missing GTOs. Makes me want to look in old barns.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, all 250GTOs are present and accounted for ... thus what missing GTOs?. Are we talking 288 GTOs?

Are you sure the book is not talking historically speaking?

Pete

6. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    It was almost two year ago today that this took place.

I think that the nearest town was Hamilton, AL. This was in Northeast Alabama. I was headed to Bear Creek.

The young lady I became involved with shortly there after was from the area. We were going to stop by on our way to her grandparents for Thanksgiving. I had everything all lined up to get it into halfway decent condition. (Mechanic, towing company, storage facility, funds, a source of parts.)

My plans changed at the last minute and I was unable to go. She said she knew right where it was and knew the guy. She promised to get me a good deal.

The deal was never done, but a year later we were.(not Ferrari related)

7. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    EDIT: That should be NorthWEST Alabama. I did not realize this typo until earlier this morning.

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna

Gozzi's book is quite recent and he spoke of the missing cars. Perhaps it was a historical view. If all are accounted for (I believe you as a 250 GTO would be an odd thing to misplace) well, there goes another dream. Maybe we should start a rumour about the eight missing 308 GT4s.

9. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

I am half tempted to call around and see if I can find that junk yard. Did it look like a big junkyard or someones back yard?

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    My newsletter, The Daily Shyster, did a story with a photo of one of those Alabama cars last year.

11. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    It was a full fledged junkyard.

12. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    HOLY COW!! What is the story behind THAT photo!?!?!?

13. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

Okay, I found Bear Creek and Hamilton....do you remember if you took main highways and if the junkyard was off one of those? If I can find this darn thing I have arrangements with some friends to get it transported back to Indiana for restoration. Any additional help would be appreciated to narrow my search. Thank you.

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    That was one of the Alabama cars under the shed. A Pantera was also parked nearby. I think the Ferrari sold because of all the talk about it here on F-chat. It probably has a new home.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Are we talking about the trashed (modern) Mondial? ... gee you would have to get that for almost nothing to make it worth restoring that model (from the condition report we have read), surely(?).

Good luck.
    Pete

16. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I will ask my pal Kevin if he remembers our route. We took major highways that turned to two lane roads. It was on a two lane road. There should not be too many junkyards around there.

17. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    This 330 America was indeed rescued from the barn in Alabama, sold to a guy in San Diego, but it is for sale again, pretty much in the same shape. I think the guy is asking 30-35K, if it has not sold in the last two weeks. Not my car, no commercial interest, blah, blah, blah....

thx
    luke

18. hestech

hestech Rookie

Jan 14, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    This was all that was left when I discovered it. I was told the crankshaft was salvageable, and I have a front directional lens, not much good. Supposedly, this car was found under salt water somewhere in Rhode Island, probably stolen.

19. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

Thank you. If you can get me a pretty close vecinity, then I am headed down there to see if I can find and rescure this forsaken Ferrari. I appreciate your help.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Details here:

http://www.velocetoday.com/cars/cars_52.php

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My offer of $25k was turned down when the car was in the barn. I'm interested in the car (and I know where it is), but only in the low $20k range.

22. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    when i get my first f-car i fully intend on acquiring a pizza delivery job and putting it to good use. :D

wouldn't you like to have your fast italian pizza delivered in a fast italian car?

23. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

LOL!! It is funny you said that. Several years ago when I bought my first NSX I joked with friends that I thought it would be cool to have a pizza delivery job and use the NSX to do the deliveries. The looks on the people's faces would be classic. :)

24. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    heh, i ain't jokin. :)

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    About 10 years or so there was as story of a 246 Gt Daytona Pkge,dug out near LA.The car was buried since it was stolen (brand new) from the front of a restaurant in Beverly Hills in 1973.