Looking for show stand photos of 275GTB pininfarina 06437 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking for show stand photos of 275GTB pininfarina 06437

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by shaughnessy, May 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Am I correct to assume that means PF component construction and methods were more like all other large-scale car manufactures at the time, using more machinery and less hand-fabrication/-forming ?

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Much more experienced, more expensive as well, whereas Scaglietti was quick and dirty, and cheap(er).
    Think about all the details, fitting, panel gaps, chrome details, etc.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I think an example of this is to compare the 365 GTB/4 to the 365 GTC/4. Sister cars but one was "built" better than the other.

readplays likes this.
  4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Your comment reminds me of the oft-posted picture of the Dino and Daytona bodies sitting outside in the yard [at Scaglietti?] awaiting trucking to the factory for the build. I wonder if rust started forming before the bodies will mounted on the frame.

readplays and of2worlds like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Right.

Marcel Massini

SCantera likes this.
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    "Cheap Russian steel" was one of the comments attached to those Ferrari body pictures as I recall.

SCantera likes this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Again, while I personally wasn’t there at the time when they were taken, but based on what I’ve heard or read, I’ve always been under the impression that those photos represent a moment in time when Scaglietti was either building or moving to new, larger facilities better suited for increased demands of production and those example cars in the photos were simply stored outdoors during transition or transportation. Whether they were left outdoors for few hours, days, weeks or longer has never been clear to me.

Also, if I have understood correctly, “factory” didn’t “build”, per se, the production cars at that time yet, but merely installed some or most of the mechanicals (and perhaps electricals ?) and majority of the construction, including coach work, interior and perhaps their final assembly was carried out by others, namely PF and Scaglietti.

As for structural construction of various models, I can still recall moments 10-15 years ago, when looking at a fairly thoroughly disassembled 550 GTB and noticing its structural construction featuring surprisingly many similarities with those I’ve seen in 365 GTB/4s.

8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo:

1. In the late 1960s, Italy entered into a series of trade agreements with the Soviet Union under which the Italians agreed to supply the Russians with industrial technology, primarily how to construct and run automobile factories. This was mainly done by Fiat and resulted in a series of Russian built Fiats over the next number of years. In exchange for the technology, the Russians provided Italy with steel. Most, if not all of the steel was adulterated and this is the source of the rust prone Italian cars of the late 1960s and 1970s.

2. In the Daytona era, the bodies arrived from both Pininfarina and Scaglietti completely assembled, painted and fully wired and trimmed. Ferrari installed the mechanicals and did ALL the remaining construction of the automobile.

3. As for the numerous bodies seen setting outside in photos during this period. Much of this was the result of massive amount of strikes by the communist workers unions at this time. Industrial planning and production was literally chaos for most Italian companies during this period. Ferrari did what they could, but completed bodies did set and rust in the sun and rain for weeks, if not months.

ingegnere, SCantera, Tenney and 8 others like this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Dyke,
    Thank you very much for these clarifications.

10. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Fchatters

The reason for period interior shots and engine compartment shots inquiry, is to assist my friends at Rare Drive, East Kingston NH. Previous restorations may have altered, added, subtracted or changed features, and is difficult to tell at times by the physical evidence remaining, what was original.

Rather than making there own interpretations or reinterpretations, I felt possibly a photo or two could exist to help the restoration along.

Thank you

Jack-the-lad, of2worlds and turbo-joe like this.
  11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Chaos in Italy????? Can't imagine. :rolleyes:

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hahaha
    normal situation in italy I would say ;)

of2worlds likes this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    of2worlds likes this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    So is the car being restored (re-restored?) from what it was in those 2018 pics?

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  15. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    The car is being restored

The old European Auto Restoration Costa Mesa CA from early 90 is being corrected and redone.

Jack-the-lad, of2worlds and ingegnere like this.