Looking Forward to Joining the Club Soon | FerrariChat

Looking Forward to Joining the Club Soon

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by russellmcg, Sep 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Long time lurker, first poster. Man, I have waited a long time to say that!

I have finally got to a position in my life where I can really start looking for a Ferrari. I have been a member of the forum for a long time now and have read as much as I can. I finally narrowed my search down to looking at Californias. In the past, I was dead set on a 360/430 but have since fallen in love with the Cali. Plus, the back seat, as small as it is, allows me to tell the wife, "look, baby, it is a four-seater car, not a real sports car."

Either way, I am now going through trying to figure out what I am willing to spend and the risk I am willing to take. This leads me to the big question, should I be scared of buying an older California?

I have seen a number of them that fall into the price range I would be willing to spend, but they tend to be on the older side. I know they have had issues in the past with transmissions and the tops, but is that something that should scare me away from buying one?

Any of you guys on here have an older Cali and have/had not had an issue with it?

Also, should there be fear around a higher mile car or one with multiple owners? I absolutely love this car, but six owners!?!? https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2005&zip=85018#listing=197149551

I plan on not really looking at this car as a resell option in the future. I have a feeling I will buy this car, drive the hell out of it, and keep it for as long as it will go. I mean I have waited many years to buy one of these gorgeous vehicles and I will be damned if I let it sit in my garage. I plan on selling my current Maserati and using this as my daily driver.

Either way, I love this community and can't wait till the day that I can post a picture of my new pony!

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The best buy is the California T (MY 2015-2018),especially with the HS (handling) option. After that,the California 30 (MY 2013+2014),preferably with HS. With the California (MY 2009-2012),make sure that any engine recall (MY 2012) has been done and that the DCT internal wiring issue is covered. Check out the California Buyer's Guide in FORZA # 146 (Dec. 2015),which is somewhere on the internet.

Shark01 likes this.
  3. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Awesome advice, thank you for that!

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have the same advice except that I would rate the California 30 (MY 2013+2014) better than the California T (MY 2015-2018). While the T is structurally more rigid than the 30, it is not as engaging to drive and is nowhere as thrilling to listen to as the NA Cali30 engine (especially when modded). You can always tweak a suspension to tighten the ride but you cannot swap engines between these cars.

Ferrari purposely de-tunes its cars so they do not upset the "order" of its current model line-up and many owners actually prefer to keep their cars original spec to preserve resale value but if you are financially well-off, you don't buy these cars for resale value. Any perceived differences in handling or performance can be sorted by aftermarket upgrades.

One last suggestion, I get the enthusiasm you have for these cars. Yes, they should be driven, not "kept" and that's why I mod my cars. However, I would avoid using these cars "every day" for every mundane trip. Try to make every drive in the Cali a special occasion and make sure your driver attention is at 110%. This is especially important when driving around very familiar locations. Other people do $tupid things. And then there is the debris that fly around on highways - fixing a cracked Cali windshield or dented hood is very different experience from doing the same thing on your beater.

I once had a flying tractor trailer tire carcass slam onto the hood and cab of my RAM pickup truck while peacefully cruising on the local highway. The exploding tire had been flung over another tractor trailer and then landed like a bomb on my truck. The steel-bodied RAM just shook it off and I did not have to repair anything but the same incident would have affected my Fcar very differently. Aluminium car bodies are very expensive to fix and dents sometimes cannot be removed at all because aluminium will usually crack when you try to bend it back.

So while these cars can handle daily driving very well I would not do it. Make each trip you take in them special instead. ;)

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    My half a cent opinion is target Cali 30 and if a good deal on a 15 or 16 Cali t comes along consider it. The price of these cars is still falling and will continue to do so for at least a little while.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cali T HS or Cali 30 HS. If you want NA, the latter. If turbo/newer is your thing, the former. Just my opinion.

As you've likely figured out, the big bugaboos are the DCT - typically sensors - and the hard top convertible. Look into the warranty, if that's something you might want.

I've owned mine for 2+ years and almost 15,000 miles. 2011 in the prettiest color that Ferrari makes, avorio! My wife and I have enjoyed it immensely. Met a lot of great people. Still a gas to drive - on the track, back road romps, running otherwise boring errands.

Biggest issue has been battery and HELE. New battery and always keeping it on the tender have kept that issue at bay, touch wood.

Don't forget to budget for maintenance, repairs and, if you do it right, a butt load of gasoline!

Good luck in your hunt...T

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    OP, I don't know what part of the country you are, where I am year round DD of a CA is not the best idea. Since you have been on here a while I'm sure you realize that opinions vary (people tend to like what they have best which it a good things for them whether it is true or imagined) Someone like me does that get that luxury, I see cars as merely machines. I am on my 7th Ferrari (the F12 I am in the hunt for will be #8 and car # 460) and I have driven a lot of different Ferrari's over the last 25 years (and helped a lot of people buy them as well). If your budget is in the area of the car you sent the link to the T is going to be out of that range. I am a bit different than most on here I have either been the original owner or the 2nd owner of all my Ferrari's. I tend to see cars with multiple owners as cars that the owners looked at as rental cars and rental cars are not well taken care of cars, but that is just me. I think people have their own definitions of what a sports car is and I have come to understand that they are not interested in what mine is. The CA is a nice car the T even nicer. I will give you one piece of advise though. You have waited a long time to have one of these cars, if possible buy from a dealer and one close to you that you can establish a relationship with. You want your ownership experience to be the best it can, and one of these cars with issues can sour that very quickly. Best of luck to you.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You can't tell the true number of owners without scrutinizing a carfax carefully. Sometimes, dealers take out titles. Sometimes, a lease turns into a purchase, new title. Move to a new state? New title in most cases. Pay off a financed car.....you get the drift.

Agree that a new exotic owner should move heaven and earth to get a Cali T....just so much going for it.