Looking to buy a 330 GTC... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking to buy a 330 GTC...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Island Time, May 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    Scott, beautiful car, I hope the other guy looks worse. Just kidding. Good luck.

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    His looks a lot better...late model VW Passat, designed to absorb collision impact. I was at a diagonal to him, and he hit my right front quarter panel head-on with his driver's side.

A unexpected and unfortunate encounter with a VW Passat last Friday night. Most fortunately, no one was injured and there was no intoxication involved. I've kept my Ferrari insured to the max with Hagerty, and they've agreed to cover the claim and repair it. The damage looks like it's confined mostly to the body with frame damage superficial...but won't know for certain till it gets to the shop and torn down.

The hood won't open now, but no vital fluids were present on the pavement when the car was moved after sitting for two hours, and when the flatbed set it down, the engine started fine, the clutch engaged fine, etc., and I drove it into my garage with no problem...but again, mechanical damage can't be truly evaluated till it gets to the shop.

I'm looking at repainting in a different color now, as the start of an ongoing full resto...guess I'll be hanging out on Tom's board a lot to get ideas and comments.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Scott-- I'm glad no one was hurt. Good luck with the project! Have fun with it.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, Don. It'll first be a matter of getting the car repaired, repainted, and back on the road, and fortunately the facilities here in Dallas that will be performing the work rank with the best in the U.S.

The resto will be more drawn out and ongoing...new interior, thorough engine bay detail, and all that as I can do it. Yes, it will be fun to go for a 95 point-plus Series I 330 2+2

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any word on the process yet?

6. larryingreenback

Jan 31, 2006
    GREENBACK, TN
    Full Name:
    LARRY BENSON
    Greetings David.

I have a 330GTC that you might like to look at as an example of a restored car that does fairly well in National meets. I have spent a lot of time working on this car and judging at Cavallino and FCA national meets. I am not interested in selling it, but would welcome you looking at #10573. My e-mail is [email protected].

Larry Benson

7. Fontana

Fontana Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Peter Markowski
    As said above, educate yourself by going around and driving a bunch of cars so you know what ones drive well and which ones are pigs. Drive a bunch of cars, make sure that you fit in the car, make sure there are not major oil drips and smoke from the tail pipes. Hire reputable mechanics to inspect the cars. Go to Ferrari events and talk to GTC owners and ask them to ride in there cars and they will probably let you drive them!

Why do people think that modern Ferraris are trouble free, It seems like they cannot get from the shore to the dealer without frying a clutch. The cars are boring, ugly and you cannot rebuild/restore parts, you have to replace $$$

8. JBTC F430

JBTC F430 Rookie

Dec 31, 2006
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Campbell
    I'm another guy with 2 Ferraris now, but little experience with vintage V12's, that is looking to buy a 330 GTC. I'm not sure where David is but I'm in southern California. I have a very good technician who can look at a car. Anyway, I have appreciated all the advice in this thread. I have heard of a car in Los Angeles that an owner wants $300k for. That's way more than the asking for any of the cars on Ferrari market letter and other places. I have not seen the car other than a few pictures. Have any GTC's traded for that kind of money yet?

Thanks,

John Campbell

9. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Wow....easy guys....this is an enthusiast chatsite.....decaf for awhile?

I had a 330 GTC for 6 years and it was a great car. The new owner loves it. Wish I had not sold it. I now have a Daytona and Dino and love them also. The 330 is like a detuned Daytona with James Bond like body. I think it looks best in sedate colors (blue, silver etc.) You can have fun with it at sane speeds (unlike a 360). It is an elegant car with great sounds and a satifying driving experience. Buy a great one and enjoy it for a long time. Few pleasures in life equal a vintage V12 Ferrari.......I think I will go enjoy mine now.

10. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    The dash on that UK LHD car is NASTY.

11. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Looks like any other 330GTC dash with patina on it to me

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It appears to be a non-standard walnut burl finish similar to what you'd expect to find in a period British saloon or GT. Not at all the same grain or finish as standard.

Jack