Looking to buy a 430; would this stop you? | FerrariChat

Looking to buy a 430; would this stop you?

Discussion in '360/430' started by recoil, Nov 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering an 05 430. Naturally I would get a comprehensive PPI.

Owner has indicated experiencing random slow down lights (F1) that clear with a car reset.

The F1 system hasn't been bled since 2010. The car also needs valve cover gaskets and we'd do plugs at the same time.

I'd end up covering the costs of those repairs.

I guess I'm a bit apprehensive as I don't know if the above would truly solve the slow down lights. Even after the above maintenance, with the lights being intermittent, there would be no way to know until I take receipt of the car and drive it.

Looking for any opinions.

Huge concern or am I making too much of it?

Many thanks,
    Steve

2. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    New E-Diff Solenoid and a bleed of the system should solve that.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The Slow Down light is not an F1 light. They are different and look different so your post is a little confusing.

4. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    What is the reason why the seller hasn't taken care of those things? Seems it would be a logical thing to do if they want to sell the car. Also, PM me.

5. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 recoil, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    This is my ignorance. I've been searching the forums so much, I may have confused myself.

Just slow down lights? I read where those could come on with F1 light?

I assumed since an F1 bleed could rectify, that perhaps they were related.

Steve

6. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Usually slow down light is the temp sensor in the exhaust tells you that it's too hot and you're going to melt the exhaust system.

On a 430 because they rarely fail, and so it would run that hot is either due to prolong hardcore track driving with little ventilation or maybe something deeper such as the engine running out of parameter and is way too lean.

I would be concerned because you will need a deep dive into the system and codes, check multiple system to make sure it's a bad sensor and not a sign that a part of the air / fuel / ignition system is failing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    E-diff light is not a slow down light or an F1 light, that the op mentions. Codes should be evident upon scanning at any good Ferrari service shop.

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Only way to know is to get a scan to see whether the slow down lights are real or not. I have a 360, but i had to replace one of my exhaust temp ecu's, the system was shutting down a bank of cylinders. I measured the temp of the manifolds too see which one was older and then confirmed with a scan. Easy job, and I would assume the 430 is similar.

9. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 430 did away with the exhaust temp ecu. It's all integrated into the main ecu, so we don't get the same faults in the 430... unless the whole ecu goes kaput

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    In another forum, a 430 owner with a similar slow down light posted the following:

"Just got back from dealership. Apparently it has to do with the F1 pump losing pressure during rapid up or down shift successions. Something with a solenoid leaking."

and

"Just got it fixed, apparently just loose bleeder screws in the gear box letting small amounts of air in."

Another poster's response:

"Yes, that's a common problem often overlooked by tech's so your guys sound like they know what they are doing! There are 3 screws located under the actuator that work loose and cause this issue. Also, early 430's where fitted with the same pump as the 360, which couldn't manage the extra load of the e-diff system on top of the f1 so often failed. Early cars can be retro-fitted with the later pump, and 360's can be updated using the later 430 pump with small alterations to the valve block bracket and feed pipe."

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Yeah, the Slow Down light is due to an overheating exhaust/catalyzer. On my 360, it was the sensor that went bad, causing this message to be displayed. The sensor was cracked and got replaced, and my warning message went away.

12. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Red Slow Down light indicates - high temperature in the exhaust system

Yellow Slow Down light indicates - temporary malfunctioning of the electronic differential

ShadowLAP likes this.
  13. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    Take it to a Ferrari for Pre inspection and they'll tell you what' going on with the car. They are the expert
    It's worth the investment so you know what you're getting yourself into. I DID and it's the best $600 I spent

whatheheck likes this.
  14. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    I have had the amber slow down light on my F430. With the same reset procedure by restarting the car

Ferrari dealership replaced the E Diff solenoid and bled the system, never had an issue since. Its been covered in an old thread of mine.

15. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    To the OP, these issues wouldn't stop me as long as it's properly discounted from the market price of a good condition 430.

16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think you should be asking yourself "why am I thinking about buying a car with a known but unresolved issue of undetermined expense?" If you come up with a good answer, then go for it. At this time of year, there'd better be something special about it, or the price.

whatheheck and Melvok like this.
  17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Don't buy this car !

Jgivoo likes this.