Looking to enter Ferrari 308 ownership | FerrariChat

Looking to enter Ferrari 308 ownership

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dave-G, Oct 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave-G

Dave-G Rookie

Sep 25, 2009
    San Juan, PR
    Full Name:
    Dave Morales
    Hello; I'm a newbi and currently in the process of purchasing my first Ferrari (84-85 model) . I've been reading a lot the past couple of weeks and understand that one of the most important things to do before a purchase is a PPI. Does anyone know of a good Ferrari Shop near Minneapolis and Maryland ? Thanks for your help !!!

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Dave, welcom to the 308 community, I'm not from your area so I don't know any place but definitely get a PPI by a well reputable shop. And please post some pic of the car of your interest, you will get lots of advise, support, guidance and criticism here. thanks.:)

3. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #3 Neonzapper, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    Welcome!

For the DC/VA/MD area, this is the best place for a PPI...

http://www.competizionecars.com/

(308s are certainly becoming the hot ticket these days!)

4. Dave-G

Dave-G Rookie

Sep 25, 2009
    San Juan, PR
    Full Name:
    Dave Morales
    Thanks for the welcome !! I'll get some good quality pictures to post. Anyone from Minnesota know of a good shop for a PPI ?

5. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    just budget a few grand a year for maintenance epected or not about the same as depreciation on new car lol

6. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Often if you can get the VIN of a car you are looking at you can find previous owners or people on the board who know the car quite well.

When I got mine it was only a few days before I was in contact with a previous owner.

This board WILL be your best resource.

PDG

7. Dave-G

Dave-G Rookie

Sep 25, 2009
    San Juan, PR
    Full Name:
    Dave Morales
    One of the cars i'm interested in is a 1985 GTS. Vin # ZFFUA13A5F0055255. Thanks.

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    your not going wrong going with a qv,you'll enjoy it and it hold the value very well when you resale it in the future.

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    From Wade's QV register:

http://www.308qvregister.com/1985/55255.htm

Since the car is registered with Wade he may have more information beyond what is posted.

Check with Ferrari Market Letter. Gerry keeps records of all cars ever listed in FML as well as other information he has accumulated.

As for any of your candidate cars try to find out who has performed the recent maintenance. Contact them and try finding out what the records may not tell you - did the car need a lot of sorting to make it right, was the owner having problems quickly resolved or deferring a lot of the issues, are there issues that still need resolution.

Jeff