Looking to Start a Book Collection | FerrariChat

Looking to Start a Book Collection

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Steven Ast, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steven Ast

Steven Ast Rookie

Jul 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Joseph Ast
    Hey guys! I'm pretty much brand new here to the Ferrari world. Just started working with some real great car guys doing some research for the last little while. I'd like to start my own little library and am looking for suggestions for some great books with some nice historical context. Probably best to start from the beginning!

franmort likes this.
  2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Depends on what you like to read, Classics, Syfi, Fantasy, Biographies, comics, sports biographies, rtc.etc. Collect what you like, or if you are doing it as an "investment". I know a number of people, depending on their likes will have one specific genre or another. I personally like first edition of the classics.. I have a friend with a very cool collection of autobiographies all of which have been signed - with some very historical figures. Others go with Comic Books (rare and collectable ones), etc. The topic is pretty broad, so I would say go with what you would like. PS. The same answer goes for Art.. You gotta go with what moves you. It is also easier to go with one genre as you can learn a lot about that specific focus, and know what you are getting into. Same with Art, cars, coins, etc. etc.

3. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
  4. Steven Ast

Steven Ast Rookie

Jul 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Joseph Ast
    Yes I definitely should have been more specific, it is Ferrari related literature i'm after. Thanks!

5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  6. Steven Ast

Steven Ast Rookie

Jul 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steven Joseph Ast
    Incredibly helpful, Thanks alot!

Rosey likes this.
  7. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
  8. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    I notice, that some good advice has been given already. If you're talking "Ferrari", the range of books on offer is huge, not to say infinitely large. I would certainly suggest to narrow down your interest to start with. If not, there is a high probability, that you will come to the conclusion, that some purchases finally did not really met your criteria. Your interest will probably evolve anyhow.
    Personally, I started to collect Ferrari model cars in the scale 1/43, five years ago. GT's and Prototypes, which participated in the Carrera Panamericana, the Mille Miglia, the Tour de France and the 24 Hours of Le Mans (entries until 1975 where applicable). Looking back, most probably too much. I wanted to learn more about these iconic cars and racing drivers, the professional photographers at the time, these endurance races, ... and - yes - I gradually was building a collection of rather rare books (limited editions, first editions, etc.).
    Some original signed photographs and/or commissioned painting from someone referred to in the books, is - at least to me - the icing on the cake.
    Good luck!

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I think Ferrari would have the largest number of books published over any other motoring marques.
    They also vary in price from $10 to hundreds of thousands so I guess it’s horses for courses.
    Choose a specific aspect and usually there are many excellent Ferrari books relating to it.

jm2 likes this.
  10. Ronald A. Berke

Oct 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Modena-Andiamo
  11. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
  12. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    Ronald, on this forum you will find the info, that V12books will close the online shop soon.

13. Ronald A. Berke

Oct 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Modena-Andiamo
    Frank,
    Thank you for letting me know. I saw that after I posted it. That is a shame.

Danken
    Ron