© 2021 MOTORSPORT NETWORK. All rights reserved.
Sign up to receive latest updates for Ferrari News, Threads, and Classifieds
Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by godabitibi, Feb 25, 2016.
To remove this ad click here.
Which one ?
The silver on dark blue ?
Oui Paul, Stephane te renseigne bien
Claude let us know if yours is like this conversion frame-wise. I wouldn't want to change the transmission or diff!
1985 Ferrari 400i Euro Spider Conversion | Beverly Hills Car Club
Image Unavailable, Please Login
Image Unavailable, Please Login
Are those supports welded or bolted in?
Looks like its bolted in which means it cant be as effective at what its intended to do but the lesser of two evils when it comes to service.
Paul, I hope it's not. If it is I'm going to like it with the TH400. LOL!
Congrats Claude..It is difficult to live without a V12
Well it is happenning to me AGAIN.
You guys may not remember or may not be readers of the Testarossa section but I once was refunded after a while when buying a car. I actually bought my testarossa twice because the first deal didn't work as it was supposed to be and the seller refunded my money. I bought the same car almost a year later.
Well it may happen again this time with the 400i.
I paid the car in full about a month and a half ago. Worked the pick-up and shipping with TFX and when they were ready to pick-up the car the seller told them it wouldn't start. The starter was smoking. He told me he ordered a starter and after receiving it the car started perfectly and was ready to be picked-up this time.
I discovered this morning when I called TFX to know where my car was and if it was ready for me to pick up in Toronto that last thuesday TFX was ready to pick-up the car and AGAIN a starter problem. The new starter is smoking TOO. Dead again.
So I called the seller with a lot of frustration to ask what was happening with the car. He appologized and said he had no clue of what the problem could be and because he had to wait again for another starter and diagnose the problem he thought it would be better if he would refund my money.
He said ''when the car is repaired I can call you back if you're still interested''
What should I do ???????????
Have you ever tried putting those little sail boats in glass bottles? I hear its a very relaxing hobby
But it's not for me
Wow Claude, so sorry to hear about this! Smoking anything when it comes to electrical is a scary thing... I'm not at all familiar with the starter configuration of our cars, but I can't even imagine why there wouldn't be some sort of fuse blowing before things got smoking! Yikes!
If it were me, I would take the seller's offer to refund. Perhaps once the car is fixed you can do a proper PPI and ensure that the car is indeed OK and assess how the repairs may have been done as well as what contextual damage there may have been (wiring, relays, fuse box, etc.).
Let us know what you decide... We'll be waiting for you either way in the 365/400/412 forum!
Best of luck!
It is a mid 80's Italian car; it is going to have electrical problems. If something as simple as a starter problem would keep you from buying it you'd better not because you WILL have worse electrical trouble in the future.
An electrical problem when the car is mine is not a problem at all. It's the situation that make me feel unsecure. I've never seen the car, it's paid in full and still not ready to ship after near two months.
This sounds like a very reasonable plan to me.
Perhaps like you, I am seldom dissuaded by a challenge, but I ultimately need to feel it has to be worth it at the end. From the day you bought the car on eBay, someone else wanted it and an issue surrounding uncertainty arose at that time. Now 2 months later, issues still persist and are surrounding the car... Let me tell you that there are far smoother ways to transition into new ownership! Yes these cars are old, yes they are pricey to fix and maintain properly, but unless your heart is dead set on owning a convertible version which can be rare finds, then you're fortunate that there are several others out there available for sale.
If you did not have a PPI done on the car, I cannot urge you enough to have one done next time you purchase a vehicle. From personal experience, I once walked away from a previously unknown $10K repair job on a car that I had the money in hand to buy, but heeded my brother's advice about a PPI and am a happier person because of it.
Listen to what your inner voice tells you - this is the time to decide once and for all if you still want your troubled convertible that comes to you with any number of unknown issues, or start anew with another one. You have earned the respect and admiration of this forum and we will be behind you no matter what you decide as we'll be here to help.
My thoughts are maybe the seller wanted more for the car and is trying to bow out so he can sell it to someone else? Its not often someone that sells a car tries to give the buyer his money back out of the goodness of his heart.
Why not just fly to Toronto and have a look yourself? It
s just 12VDC...can't be that complex of a problem.
Can't say that the same thought hadn't crossed my somewhat cynical mind !
I thought the car was in the US and Claude would've gone long ago to see the car if it was that close.
I bought a collector car (Facel Vega HK500) in California once that took extra time to get delivered. The driver told me he had to wait over the weekend for the car to be ready. Turns out the seller (also club president) parked it in front of his house and it rolled down a hill into the back of a pickup. Nose was filled with bondo and quick painted and shipped. By the time I figured out what had happened a few months had passed and I never got any satisfaction.
Maybe it's the starter. The trip to see it is well worth the time and expense if you really want the car. Good luck!
OK I'll try to explain the situation a little better.
First, I bought the car because it's a CONVERTIBLE. I want a convertible for summer time and I sold my 500SL last fall to a friend.
An electrical problem for me is not a problem at all when the car is in my garage. I prefer an electrical problem over anything else.
If the car was in Toronto it would have been in my garage in the next few days after purchase. The car is in NJ and it has to be IMPORTED to Canada. Pick up the car only is a 3 day trip which is very easy. But to import is a bit more paperwork time and waiting.
The price TFX is charging me to do the entire process of transporting, importing with all documents in hand to register the car is cheaper than the trip will cost me if I consider, fuel, hotel, meals etc. And I have NOTHING to do.
When I bought the car I was just out of a emergency surgery and 12 days in hospital and the trip was a bit out of question.
Now the situation is a bit different because of the mechanical issue with the car. The 2 times TFX called to pick up the car it was not able to start and be loaded. I am seriously considering going there to pick it up myself if I can come to an agreement with the seller which we didn't discuss yet. I'm still awaiting his answer about his refund he offered. But in the dollar exchange I loose $1900 cdn if he refund the amount of the sale in US. And this is not my fault!
Very seriously guys in a low priced car for me a PPI is not of big value honestly. Keep in mind a PPI can not tell everything a car can hide. I'm a mechanic and do ALL work myself. I'm not saying a PPI is no good in all situation to everyone but in my case it is not a total need.
I will post the progress of the situation.
Thanks all for the support and comments.
I hope the seller can get the starter issue sorted & the purchase can go ahead for you.
One of my 400i's had starter issues when I purchased it. The main problem was a loose wire in the relay panel causing no power to the two start-up injectors. As such the car was being cranked over more than usual to start & the original starter would smoke like you described in a very short time. I can highly recommend a modern gear reduction starter as a replacement.
I hear what your saying about PPI's. In my experience the only car I have ever got a PPI on was a MK1 V6 Capri of which the timing cog let go a week after purchase & destroyed the engine. I have taken my chances with every other car & they have all been OK.
Here are the last news as I just hung the phone with the seller.
He is refunding my FULL money including the dollar exchange loss.
I orffered him to buy the car as is with a price redudtion which he prefered not to do. He said he will contact me after the problem is solved if I'm still interrested.
I believe in life and destiny and I don't want to put TOO much pressure on a deal that doesn't want to work. I allready have a lot on my plate and will be able to live without another car for a while