Loose item in the AC system | FerrariChat

Loose item in the AC system

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by pmadsen2002, Feb 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pmadsen2002

pmadsen2002 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    During some winter work of a 550 I had the AC-compressor removed. In one the inlets, I found this tiny item (see attached foto). It seems to be some kind of valve, with a spring and seal. There is a filter in the inlet, preventing things like this, to go into the compressor, causing further damage.

Sizing: The item is 16mm long and has a diameter of 1.2mm (smallest section)

Any idea where in the AC system this piece comes from? Any ideas appreciated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Looks like a schrader valve

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The schrader valves sometimes come apart when you remove them. This is the remains of a valve that fell into the inlet when someone tried to remove the valve and it broke apart.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Are tire shrader valves any different from ac valves??

5. pmadsen2002

pmadsen2002 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks for feedback.

I can see such valves in the two AC couplings (high side, low side). Both are there, so it could very well be a broken one which went further into the system, trapped in the compressor.

But, why would one try to remove these shrader valves? Are they prone to leak?

And just to be sure - do they appear anywhere else in system (apart from the two couplings) ?

Thanks,

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    They leak all the time. I replace them every time I do an A/C service, or an engine out service where the A/C is disconnected. They are the same basic design as a tire schrader valve, but the seals are made from different material (Viton) to cope with the oil and different refrigerants used in A/C systems (R12, R134A, etc)

Someone probably broke one while trying to remove it in the past, was unable to retrieve the remains of the valve and just left it in there.

They are only located in the service valves on a A/C system.