Loosing brake fluid | FerrariChat

Loosing brake fluid

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by robogeeks, Sep 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    Hello,

I am loosing break fluid, but I can find no leaks around the breaks, the fluid on the floor seems to be under the firewall approximately centered between the wheels, I haven't had a chance to get under the car yet, I have a BendPak Portable Mid-Rise Scissor Car Lift on order, it should make getting under the car much easier. While I wait for it to arrive, any ideas what I should be looking for? Does the clutch share the fluid with the brakes?

2. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    The clutch and brakes share fluid. My guess is that the seals need replaced in your clutch slave cylinder. It isn't exactly between the rear wheels -- closer to the driver's side rear wheel. It is a pretty common issue and pretty easy to fix (especially when you get your lift!).

Good luck!

3. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    In my car a 3.2 Cabriolet the brake fluid and Clutch fluid share the same Brake reservoir. It happened to me as well I was loosing Brake fluid and the mechanic discovered the fluid was leaking from the clutch slave and the other time it was leaking from the hose coming from the brake fluid reservoir connected to the clutch slave. You might also want to check leaks from Brake master cylinder that drains towards the Hydrovac .
    Pls let us know what model of Mondial you have and share to us what you'll find .

Hope this helps

4. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had the same problem where there was a leak coming from the clutch slave cylinder and I replaced the whole cylinder. My brakes/clutch also share the same reservoir.

My car is a 1985 QV Euro Coupe...

There is a DIY article I wrote for the replacement procedure for the clutch slave cylinder.

Depending on what model you have, on my QV you don't need a lift to inspect if the clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Access is by taking off the right hand side rear wheel(if facing the car) and unscrewing the underside arch panel.....

5. robogeeks

robogeeks Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    My car is an 87 3.2 Cab. The leak is not exactly centered between the wheels, it's a little towards the drivers side, so you're all probably right and it's the clutch slave cylinder. The reason I'm buying the lift is because I'm going to do an engine out major. In addition to the 30K service I will be adjusting the valves, might as well since part of the service is replacing the valve cover gaskets, rebuilding or replacing the alternator, because it's not giving me the right output, and replacing the brake lines with stainless steel braided lines, so I guess I'll add the clutch slave cylinder to the list. Should I replace the whole thing or just the seals? Where can I find the parts? Does anybody have the part numbers? It doesn't have to be a "Ferrari" part, if it's the same part I don't care if it's Fiat, or Alfa, or Bosch, or whatever, I'm not hung up on paying the Ferrari premium.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi RoboGeeks,
    Hope all is well since we saw you at MondiPalooza.
    Yep, sounds like you need to replace/rebuild your clutch slave cylinder. The seals start leaking every 3-6 years.
    I replaced mine right before the last palooza and its still holding strong. The Clutch slave cylinder uses the same brake fluid from the reservoir so the oil you see on the driver side below the engine is correct. see this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/qv-clutch-slave-cylinder.357008/#post141410074

I ended up replacing mine with an alfa romeo part that was exact fit and this is definitely a DIY project.

Good luck !
    -Mike