Lost 16lbs in the past month | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Lost 16lbs in the past month

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by REMIX, Nov 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Hey, Remix..............you lost your weight, I think I found it! It's around my mid section!

I can't wait for this holiday season to end already...............so many treats everywhere I turn, and I'll be the 1st to admit that I have absolutely no willpower! I probably put on 15 lbs already!

Double time on the elliptical............

2. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    In the Summer of 05, I actually took half the month of July, and the month of August- and only drank smoothies. It got a little expensive, majority of the time I made my own, but sometimes I'd have to a goto a business that wanted $6 a drink. I ended up losing more than 40 lbs. I did very little exercise during this time because I was working so much.

Changing your diet changes everything. Congrats!

Good luck and Godspeed,
    Colin

ps. I felt great for those few months following, and gained it all back by summer of the next year. :D

3. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Well, here you go gorgeous: Happy 24th birthday! btw, your profile pic is stunning!

4. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

195.5 today. What did I do to celebrate? I had a pizza tonight and chicken wings for lunch. See, I do play with the formula. :)

Tomorrow it's back to the routine, thankful for the junk food I get to have every once in a blue moon.

RMX

5. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Thanks and thanks! :)

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Bump.

How's everyone doing now that the holidays are over?

I started a new job 6 months ago where I sit at a desk all day, and gained about 10 pounds, from around 175 to 185. I never really paid attention to what I was eating. 10 pounds in 6 months is scary when you're 28, and your dad is around 280 and your uncles are all probably 240-260.

It wasn't a new years resolution or anything, but I started recognizing that eating certain things had a dramatic impact on my energy levels throughout the day. That, combined with the weight gain, caused me to start doing a little reading, and the common thread I picked up from just about every source was that you need to be cognicent (sp? not sure) of the balance of fat, protein, and carbs. Also, knowing that the reason I gained 10 pounds in 6 months was probably less calories spent, I did alot of looking around and reading about what activities burn calories at what rate.

I was operating off an excel spreadsheet which was a PITA, until I found this site. It isn't perfect but it's helped me visualize the carb/protein/fat balance, and the calories spent vs eaten calculation. The site is free, wth hardly any noticeable ads: www.fitday.com I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to be aware of their health and make lifestyle changes.

I've been walking for 30 minutes at lunchtime every day and an elliptical type machine for 1 hr, 3 days a week, and I'll resume playing ice hockey in mid february when the season starts.

It's been eye opening how the body reacts to sudden changes. Last week I went to dinner with some FChatters and after having just started a reduced calorie intake, a very light lunch that day, and starting dinner with 1 beer, that beer hit me like a freight train. I had no tolerance for the alcohol. It was a little scary.

Everything is evening out though, my energy levels are up during the day and I'm sleeping better.

I've lost about 6 pounds in 2 weeks, from 185 to 179, my goal is to be at 165 by mid march.

Those that know me are probably wondering why the hell I'm worried about my weight, because I look "skinny" in the arms and legs, but every ounce of fat in my body is concentrated in my gut and love handles. But that's pure genetics, right? Not much can be done about it except to reduce my overall body fat %, right?

7. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    It sounds to me like you should start weight training. Do a session or two with a personal trainer just to get a routine that will help you achieve the overall appearance you desire. Eat lots of protein, do heavy weights and low reps to bulk up your arms and legs a bit and concentrate a bit on your abs. You'll be fine!! :)

I've lost even more and seen great results! My clothes fit even better and I'm more toned. I stuck to my diet (for the most part) through the holidays and have continued to work out. I beat my all time record for 2 miles, which is really exciting, I've noticed that my heart rate is significantly lower while running, and I can run for much longer without walking. Truth be told, I hate the gym, but it's worth it. :D

I hope everyone survived the holiday temptations and continued to improve their workouts!!! :D

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    +1 on the weight training. My trainer is kicking my butt on a regular basis, but it's helping quite a bit.

I'm now down to 183, but still need to lose another 20-30 lbs. I carry all my extra weight in my gut, so it still looks bad :(

9. Joseph F

Joseph F Rookie

Dec 11, 2007
    Columbus
    Full Name:
    Joseph F
    Hello everyone,

Congrats on all of your story's and weight loss. I two have went up and down in wait over a 6 year period. I have always hit the gym and ate better to do so and have had great results. The problem is sticking to the new life style. I have seen a pattern with myself and tend to lose focus after a year or so.

I am doing a few things different right now. My starting wait was 262 and I am now at 223 this took me about 3 months
    I eat some kind of power bar and banana for b-fast a good size lunch and then two more power bar type meal bars in the afternoon and evening. Nothing after 5 The big lunch helps me from eating after 5
    Not eating at night has helped the most for me.

This is the first time I am losing weight without pumping iron. I have always used weight training to lose the lb's before. But then I would slowly stop going to the gym and gain the weight back. This time I am getting down to 215 before I start training with weights. I still do cardio (treadmill)

I like the way I look at 210 but that is 210 with muscle. So really 190 would be a normal weight for me.

I have also found a good way to help with my cravings when I am eating clean and working out.

Try eating a cheat food i.e. pizza,bread,pasta ( I'm Italian) once a week right after a good workout, your body will burn the carbs for fuel. This has always helped me stay on track when eating clean but really craving something.

10. REMIX

I am down to 193 now. That's like 34 lbs in exactly 3 months.

It's coming off slower now. Lots slower.

185 is the goal!

RMX

11. Edward S

Edward S Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    La Canada, Ca
    Full Name:
    Edward S
    Personal trainers are great because they push you more and abs are a must, I lost 30lbs and will go down another 10lbs, what's your record for 2 miles? I'm working on running more because it seems to melt the fat off.

12. Edward S

Edward S Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    La Canada, Ca
    Full Name:
    Edward S
    Hey RMX how tall are you? because 185 seems a bit low for a guy isn't it?

13. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    MY record is not very impressive, but it is to me b/c I'm not much of a runner...so I'd rather not say and save myself the embarrassment! :D

14. REMIX

5' 9".

RMX

15. Edward S

Edward S Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    La Canada, Ca
    Full Name:
    Edward S
    Any before and current pics?

Guess I'll have to race you, how about for pinks?

16. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    A 430 and a Mustang GT? Either you're insanely confident or just insane. Unless of course pinks in regards to a foot race means our shoes are on the line!! :D

17. REMIX

I shall very soon.

RMX

18. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    I don't know that anyone cares, but this workout has done wonders for me...

1/4 mile running, 8mph
    30 push ups
    1/4 mile running, 8mph
    30 push ups

Rinse and repeat for 4 miles, 480 push ups < 40 min.

After this I do pull ups and tricep dips until I feel I've done enough. I've basically stopped using all machines. Muscles were not meant to be isolated, they were meant to work together.

19. REMIX

I guess you can run like that in Alaska. If I ran through my hood and dropped to the ground every 1/4 mile to do pushups, people would think I was crazy!

RMX

20. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    Hahaha...treadmill.

21. Edward S

Edward S Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    La Canada, Ca
    Full Name:
    Edward S
    Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

22. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #97 FarmerDave, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The FitDay website I mentioned earlier is what produced these charts for me. The overlayed one I did in photoshop.

My exercise has been primarily interval aerobics, about 1 hr to 1.5 Hrs of either steep incline treadmill walking or jogging, or the elliptical stair thingy. I've done a little upper body weight lifting but not enough to make any impact whatsoever. The aerobic stuff I like because I can be a ferrarichat post whore while I'm working out, with my laptop resting on the machine :D

The final graphic I did the overlay in photoshop.

Overall my energy is good, mood is good, and sleeping is less sporatic, although I'm going to plot that data as well for the next few weeks because waking up is harder some days than others and I want to find the correllation.

Any tips from anyone? I hesitate to stray from what I've been doing, but I am open to suggestions.

This data is over the last 2 weeks:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Note how my "calories in" is almost a sine wave. This was totally unplanned and I didn't notice the trend until a couple of days ago. I've just tried to keep eating to a minimum, eating enough to keep my energy relatively constant throughout the day, and trying to maintain a balance of around 40% carbs, and 30% fat and 30% protien, which are not numbers taken from some fad diet but what seems to be a reasonable number based on everything I've read. I eat if I'm hungry, I don't if I'm not.

24. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Since Dave brought the thread back up, I'll update too. Down to 177, still working on "concave" :D

25. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Congrats!