Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you mean now?
    or you are asking only?

if it is the seal you can change it with engine in.

but I think that the diff carrier is broken and so the cover No. 9.
    try to put both rear wheels in the air. take a friend to keep one rear wheel and you turn the other rear wheel. if your friend can keep his wheel not rotating and you can rotate your wheel then the diff is broken.

hope I will be wrong with my opinion ;)

2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I’m assuming with the car in neutral? When in neutral if I turn one rear wheel the other doesn’t spin at all, no one has to hold it I can see in a mirror the other wheel doesn’t turn.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if the whhel your friend hold is rotating same direction as you turn then the diff seems to be ok. if the wheel turns otherwise then the diff is broken.

you may remove the left shaft from the flange and also remove the flange. then you see more.
    all you can do with engine inside.

4. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    With the car in neutral I spin one wheel and the other wheel doesn’t spin at all.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you are in neutral then if you turn 1 wheel the other wheel has to turn same direction ( if all is ok )
    when you turn 1 wheel and have a gear in then the other wheel turns other direction, but it takes much power to turn because of the limited slip diff ( also if all is ok )

you write now that in neutral and 1 wheel turning the other not move? then the diff is gone :(

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it is easy to turn the wheel or heavy to turn?
    both sides the same?

7. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Yup, then differential is gone. I can turn either wheel and the other side doesn’t move.

8. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    It’s not easy, it takes some effort.

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I'm honestly shocked by this!

The car just went in for a rear wheel bearing and nothing to give any clue. I always ask Gabe if he noticed anything....can hear anything. Nothing.

I even test drove it after I did the master cylinder just make sure I completely bleed the system and everything over 10 miles felt fine.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ferralc likes this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    both sides about the same effort?
    and the other wheel in neutral not move? what about when you have a gear in? same effort then to rotate the wheel? but then the other wheel has to turn other direction ! ! !
    sounds bad then, very bad.

but as I often have written here in other threads: mostly nobody recognize a broken diff as long as there is no oil leaking.
    so the test I mentioned before with the wheels rotating ( or even not ) is an absolutely must to test. but even if this will work fine it is not a 100% good sign that the diff is not broken.

newmann once showed here a broken diff and even he has not recognized this during driving. and he is very knowledgeable ;(

so may be shamile that your technician ( Gabe ) even not recognized this?

myself with my competition I was driving long time with a broken diff. later when the CP was broken I have seen this broken diff. and after I have seen this I also know why the car always have been so easy to push even when I was stearing to the left or right: the limited slip was not working anymore. but have been lucky: the left cover was not broken, also was not loosing oil because of the noice the CP made I stopped.

as MEL always said here when he still had his car: it is not a question of IF the diff will break, only WHEN

xplodee likes this.
  11. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Both sides same effort.

Both sides when I turn the wheel the other side doesn’t turn.

Literally happened 2 miles from my house at a
    stop light. Had the car 6 days

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I´m also shocked about this shamile, but it is/was not your fault. this are the gremlins of the technic ;)

I had my competition about 4 weeks when this all happened :(
    and then was waiting more than 3 years until all was fine again - but costs me a lot of money, even I did all by myself
    but because of the high power and torque my competition has I let produced all weak parts. the diff I used from modena ( australia ), but the next gearbox I will repair I will use a diff from phil ( philwozza ), also a member here but long time not read anymore from him.

13. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Guess it’s going to a shop, anyone have a recommendation in Southern California?

I’m looking at $20k I assume?

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Reach out to Rifledriver on here. I don't know where in California he is but he's the one to deal with. He is very helpful on this board and even he said the diff issue was over blown.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think he is in Texas

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think so too. even more - because if so far then just rebuilt the complete gear box. may be 1st or 2nd gear also damaged meanwhile ( normal ) after this mileage?

if you are familiar with working on "normal" technic then you can do this job by yourself. once scott ( qwazipsycho ) had an equal problem and with the help here from the members he could repair all by himself.

you may search a little, all is no magic ;)

Shamile likes this.
  17. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    There was a pretty impressive unit made in Britain for these, that came complete with spider gears, but according to Melvok, they MAY not be currently making them. I think the last time I checked price the unit was $3500.00 which considering what it is, is pretty fair. Newman in Canada has them machined also. He'll probably see this post soon enough. Not sure what he charges for his. I think the British part may be affiliated with philwozza, mentioned by turbo- joe. Melvok was a prolific poster in this section, and has written a LOT about this job. Do a search, and read up on the many threads on the diff failures. Melvok MAY post a reply, but he's gone off to the land of 458's.

I think $3500 is CHEAP for what the part is, but I have a machine shop with many, many machines. IF the British part is available, I'll probably buy that one. But I'm doing it for TWO cars, so have always considered making one myself. There are blind keyways in the part, which is somewhat challenging, but I have a machine that I cut them all the time. The keys are for for the clutches for the limited slip. I have NOT ever seen the part except in pictures. When I get a significant amount of time, I'm going to do both my Testarossas at once. Although both my cars don't appear to have broken, I won't know for sure until I get into them. Hopefully I have ONE good part to reverse engineer- minus the weld.

I've been reading all the posts on this subject for five years. I think the new owner of Shamiles car, can probably tackle the job. I've seen posts where the job was done without pulling the engine. Seems awkward, but he did it successfully. Not sure what the availability is for parts- like the side cover that tends to get grenaded.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    right, this is possible. but remember how many miles are on the car. so would be good just to rebuilt the complete gearbox. then you have silence the next 20 or more years. but don´t use the cheap chinese bearings ;)

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Hopefully there is minimum damage if indeed that is the issue. The key is, did it take out the ring and pinion. From what you are saying, it happened at a red light, they should be okay and that is where it can get very expensive.

I put Newman piece in my boxer. It is just the carrier, so you swap over the internals. When I first spoke to my friend, a race car mechanic, who was letting me use his shop and him where needed, he was skeptical. When he saw the piece he said it was very high quality piece and he was impressed with the machining. The fitment was a non issue. Of course there was shimming required as with any replacement and all new bearings, o-rings for side covers. If it is just the side cover that broke in addition to the carrier, side covers are available and not as much as some other ferrari parts, must be Ferrari's conscience for another great idea: weld the diff carrier, what can possibly go wrong.

Good luck and you will never, ever think about it again.

Lastly, no one to blame here, it is the ugly, scary issue with the Ferrari screw up. It may or may not happen at any moment.

20. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    #46 V4NG0, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Rifledriver (Brian) is in Texas now, but he worked on Ferraris in California for decades, and may know someone there. I don’t believe that he responds to PMs, and so you may want to contact him via his website:
    http://www.hillcountryferrari.com/

Shamile likes this.
  21. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Getting parts and shims are an issue. Carrier from Paul, was around $3500. If you need ring and pinion he can get those also. $6-7000. I have no idea what a side cover cost. Finally I rebuilt the tranny at the same time new bearings only as everything looked good. $10,000. I was temped to ship the tranny to Paul and let him do the job if he has time. He has all the parts and can do it in a timely manner. The reason I did not was my concern about and warranty issues that might arise if there was a problem with Paul being in Canada. My local indy had a tough time finding all the pieces and I had to do most of the searching. Looking back, I probably should has had my indy pull the engine and ship the gear box to Paul. The car was down for 4 months waiting and searching for parts.

Shamile likes this.
  22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Thanks for your help everyone. When the op was buying the car, I told him that this board was a great resource.
    I know the op has the skills to do this himself if he chooses to.

For the diff, I would reach out to Newman. He started this project before anyone and put all the research and development dollars himself. I believe he deserves any first shot at business.
    He sent his first diff to Rifledriver for testing and approval. Rifledriver does recommend his diff.

As for gears, I had no issues there and treated the box with care...no such thing as speed shifting in a Ferrari. Since the engine has to come out every 5 years, do the diff first, examine the gears and then go from there. I don't think a change everything while we're in there is a way to go.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ferralc likes this.
  23. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I’m going to start pulling parts and see if I can fight out what’s wrong. Anyone know of a detailed differential removal guide? Otherwise I’m just going to be looking at the schematics.

My Lamborghini is on my lift in pieces so I’m stuck doing this on 2 jack stands.

24. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I’m doing this exact job, by myself, right now. I’ve had to enlist some help to heat the passenger side diff case so I can change backlash shims. This is probably going to need a new side cover and a new differential carrier.

Newman may still have one as he just made a batch last month, That’s where I got mine and they are too notch. The Passenger side cover comes off with 8 bolts, driver side has the input shaft running through it. Don’t worry about the ‘gasket’ you see, it’s a shim. The seal is an o ring further inside. Later side cases are stronger as they moved the o ring portion further in.

You can pull the top suspension bolt and pull that driveshaft out of the way easier. It is possible to do this job without dropping the motor, but you’d have to pull the exhaust and the clutch/drop gear housing. First gear is a known issue too, that’s what started
    Me down this rabbit hole of my own.

Sorry man, you’ll absolutely love the car when it’s back fitted together proper.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app