Lotus Esprit vs Z06 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lotus Esprit vs Z06

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Johnny USA, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I actually think the NSX is a great car, I love the fact that it has a good interior, and the best shifter along with the s2000 ever. BUT, I must say that after spending a few days now looking at esprit stuff (looking at an elise, but hey, why not examine esprit info?) I must say they are beasts. And best of all, along with the extremely dissapointing HSC concept (read next nsx, only nsx will be more watered down,) there is a new esprit for MY 2006!!! I read some place a 4.1 litre TT v8. This car may well be capable of keeping up with all the modded Pcars out there. What a good time for sports cars. Anybody with any info on the new esprit, show yourselves!!! as for the elise, looks like a proper ferrari design to me, like a baby 360;)

2. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    as an owner of both, whats your pick then, allan? a tuned up turbo (porsche) or an esprit with those 550 horses you mentioned;) Doesnt sound like you can lose, especially with new models of both coming!

3. Mr.Wolf

Mr.Wolf Rookie

Jan 9, 2004
    Mr.Allanlambo, you are an idiot.

You claim NSX owners will jump to the defense of the NSX. Naturally.
    Yet you persist in making provocative anti-NSX comments in a self-righteous manner.

The NSX is about class & style, which your posts clearly lack.
    If you have a problem with the NSX, quit b*tching about it.
    You are embarrassing yourself with every post, as it makes you sound like a school boy arguing over who has a bigger penis.

A good day to you other respectable gentlemen of this forum, and my sincere apology for this outburst.

4. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    First question for Net Viper or any of the NSX defenders, please pick one: A. I am an NSX owner B. I am not an owner but have driven one. C. I drive a Civic/Del Sol/etc... that I think is an NSX but have never actually driven one, just read about them.

Hmmmmmm.......let me get this straight,

Yet, you're going to the numbers...

OK, my personal experience. Yes, I've driven one. It was an older one, I admit without the power steering and with the lower hp motor. The interior nice, it's a Honda, what do you expect? Power lacking in stock form, handling was nice, but no better than my Esprit...and I'm only a four banger. Something lacking about the NSX though, not sure what to call it exactly, but almost a lack of soul...a lack of excitement when driving that. It's almost too civil...do sports cars really have manners? It is a nice car, I'm sure reliable and the quality is great, but it is a Honda still. I'd have one in the garage if I ever finish my car collection, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I also do not see the resemblance to Esprits, whoever said that.

I don't want a car because it's got a good shifter, I want a car that performs great all around (enough to make my jaw drop) and one that I can't help but to stare at in the garage.

If you want modded versus modded, we'll bring out Gordonie's Mellow Yellow...and she's not all looks...

5. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    You're first post on this forum and you're going to insult someone? Allan has actually driven these cars and has given his opinion. He's not citing numbers from a magazine or a website, but actual experience and conversations with owners/tuners. If you don't like his opinion, then go the other way...why try insulting him?

6. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave

7. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Allan has bashed the NSX for years on nsxprime.com. He is famous all over the internet for bashing cars that he calls "slow".

We all know who he is and not many people think highly of his opinions. (no offense allan). Personally, I like reading his posts. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Allans biggest weakness is all he knows is straight line performance. He has never tracked a car, so in all honestly, his opinions on handling, braking etc are worthless. Unless you are talking about going highly illegal speeds on public roads, Allan doesn't have much else to say.

I think if Allan had tracked his 2 NSX's, he may feel differently.

AlxLee, do you track your lotus?

8. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I'll bring the thread back down to earth here..

Sure, anyone with enough coin can mod either the NSX or any Esprit to ridiculous levels. But these are just a handfull of cars that cannot be used as a basis for comparing the two. Let's look at stock cars here.

When considering my first exotic purchase (which took me three years to decide) I looked at and drove 3 different NSX's, 3 Esprit's and a couple of 993's. My budget limited me to the Porsche or Lotus.

For the money, It was a no-brainer. Equal caliber NSX's were twice as much as my Esprit. Again. my Esprit is a 1990 SE, turbocharged and intercooled 2.2L four. I have a C/D from 1990 that test the NSX, Carrera4, vette, Esprit SE etc.... The 4cyl Esprit and the NSX are dead even in straight line performance. The diffrence in all other performance related categories was so minimal that it is acedemic.

So, what does this mean to me? Hmmmmmmm same performance, for half the money. Guess which one I bought...

Now, A stock V8 esprit will whip the snot out of stock 4cyl esprits. In EVERY performance related category. Modded four bangers can keep up, but let's keep all things equal here. There does not seem to be a huge performance gap from early NSX's to late NSX's. a stock V8 Esprit will run circles around a stock NSX.

I feel the NSX is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced, and possibly the most well balanced vehichle EVER! The only thing is that the driving experience was not rewarding to me. Anybody can hop in an NSX and click off quick lap times. It takes serious time and practice to drive an Esprit at or near it's limits. But when you have it all figured out, It is the most rewarding experience you will ever have behind the wheel.

As for maintence? Who the F*ck cares!? I thought we were talking about exotics here. If an exotic owner already hasn't decided that high maintence is going to be part of ownership, then he/she is driving the wrong car. That's why they make civics.

I would still love to own an NSX, and possibly will someday, but I wont be trading the Lotus in for it. They'll just have to get along with each other

My .02

9. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    OK, so you've experienced the NSX, we'll have to get you into an Esprit and perhaps you will change your mind.

Well, like I said, I didn't know how to describe it. My opinion is though, that the NSX does not excite me when I drive/drove it. It is a very civil car. Not sure what it is, just that it doesn't have the same effect as it does when I hope in the Lotus...actually, it felt like I was driving my Z or an S2000.

OK, I don't get this part, if you've never even driven one, how do you know it's not reliable or have high repair bills? The majority of the people that I hear this from have never owned one or known anyone to own one. Just heard it from a friend who had a friend over the internet that had one. I've had my car since November of 2001, my repair/maintenance bills have totalled up to all of maybe $500? It is in the shop now so that number will go up, but it's in for the major service now and I expect that to run no more than $3-4K, including a clutch replacement and ceramic ball bearing turbo upgrade. (Independent shop) A friend with the same car, except he has owned since new has had total repair bills of maybe $6K since 1995 including a clutch job and major service? I believe Allan has had similar experiences thus far.

I also disagree with your opinion of the interiors. The design is a little better in the NSX than in my Esprit, but the newer V8's are a lot nicer IMO. Leather is better quality and not something that you find in an Integra.

OK, but aren't you taking that expression a tad too seriously?

10. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would LOVE to drive one.

Just from reading I came to that conclusion.

I was saying the interior of the earlier cars (before 2000 or 99) was subpar. The newer interior looks more like the NSX. I like it.

No, I firmly think allan seriously thinks it is 10x better :)

You didn't answer my track question... have you tracked your esprit?

11. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    He does. I ahve read too many of Allan's elitest posts on prime that lead me to conclude as much.

12. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Another moronic statement. Even a clown knows that maximum braking is limited by other factors, of which tires play a huge role. You can only achieve lock-up, or more appropriately - the limit right up to lock-up, which is maximum braking. Any NSX can do that. Now, are the NSX brakes "as good" as your AP's? Most certainly not. But, "good" would relate to other factors than your claim of being launched through your windshield like fade resistance, reduction of un-sprung weight and life of the rotors. But then, you wouldn't know anything about those factors if you don't track your car.

13. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    It is a self fullfilling egotistical exagerated statement.

14. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    No, I know what is being done with the FX car, and you would have to bring far more than 600rwhp to even come close. I don't want to get caught up in measuring modded cars too much, but what they are doing is scarry.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Hmmm lets see, just from reading about the Esprit, it is ok for you to asume that it is unreliable.

Well from reading about the Nsx, many a report has mentioned it lacks soul.

Who said ive never tracked my Nsx? I actually have had one out at Moroso several times.

As for me believing the Esprit is 10X the Car of the NSX, ABSOLUTELY!

16. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Amen.
    Okay, you lost me here. Are you saying your Esprit cost you ~$15k? Because a 91-91 NSX would cost you ~$30K. Maybe your were looking at later model NSX's?

On which track? See, it gets to the point of why a particular owner buys what they have. For someone like Allan, who wants to cruise the boulevards, occasionally open it up on the highway and has no concern for maintenance costs, a sprayed Lambo meets his needs. While others might be concerned with areas that an NSX better fits the bill.

That can be true, for you. IOW, it's a subjective statement, but a rational one. I'd love to track an Esprit, but the headroom is a bit short.

Well, I do. Further, Honda knew the market cared back when they designed the NSX. Their goal was to provide the performace, balance and looks of an exotic, while bringing the reliability of the car to "Honda" standards, which they did. It's a HUGE factor for many when making their decision.

Sounds like a winner!

17. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Allen do you have any Top Gear videos of an nsx around there track? WE know the Esprit did very well on it and that was on a cold track as well.

18. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    It wasn't directed at me, but allow my response as if it were; Love to. The Esprit is one of the sexiest cars ever made, period. I have no problems with the performance either. My issues with it are more subjective in nature, i.e., I'd be far more worried to drive it around town in terms of putting the car at risk from idiots that might cause harm to it. Maintenance is the other big factor. Not near as many places (where I live) to find someone capable to work on it (with confidence), and then there are the costs of maintenance. You get no arguments from me that the Esprit is a very nice car. It's just not 10X the car like Allan likes to pretend that it is.

19. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    I think you missed my point. The Esprit is very capable, but it can't "run circles around an NSX." Point is, Allan totally exagerates what he says.

20. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Well, I was looking at NSX's no older than 93 because of the tranny issues. This was also a couple of years ago. Similar mileage and condition NSX's were around 40k then. The Esprit was 24k. Close enough. On which track? I see your point. Just stating that all things being stock, the 'general performance figures' usually conducted my magazine tests, TOP GEAR, etc... will show an NSX to be on par with MY SE. A V8 Esprit produces much better numbers than my car. Headroom? I agree! Thank God for that tilting roof! ;) Again, as for maintenence, I have had no problems to speak of in the last couple years. I did however prepare myself for the unexpected. Just wasn't a major infuence on my purchase decision.

Now, who wants to swap cars for the weekend? ;)

Craig
    (just thankfull the weather is nice enough to drive the Esprit today!)

21. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Allan, did you prefer your tuned Esprit or your tuned pcars? overall?

22. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Maybe you stated it backwards? Only 91's and 92's would possibly be subjected to the snap ring. Even then, you shouldn't discount them. It's not a mjor deal to preventatively fix.
    Seems a bit high. Mine, a solid B+ car was $32k, with mods.
    Once upon a time, I would have. But mine is in the shop being preparred for ~600rwhp. Proably wont tune for as much, but will be capable. I don't think I'll be turning the keys over to others any more once it's finnished. ;)

23. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig

Whoops! sure did!

24. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Has the esprit ever been timed around the Nurburgring? The NSX-R is extremely fast on that track. I would like to see how the esprit compares.

25. NSX Driver

NSX Driver Rookie

Dec 18, 2003
    Now THAT would be an interesting comparison. ;)