Lotus esprit | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Lotus esprit

Discussion in 'British' started by ferrari 512 tr, Jun 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #226 cnpapa24, May 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I picked up another Esprit this week. I'm a sucker for cool cosmetic packages and the JC car fits the bill! I believe they made about 20. Hoping to have it home soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lotaz likes this.
  2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #227 Ingenere, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Wow,very nice!! I'm sort of looking for a last generation Esprit myself.

4. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I love Lotus cars so much. I think it all started with the Black and Gold John Player Specials with me. But the Esprit holds a special place in my heart as well. If the right one at the right place and time for the right price happens along I will jump! I think Lotus and Ferrari have dominated me since childhood.

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone else notice the Esprit Market moving these days?

Here are a few recent sales:

This 87 HCI one seems like a very good deal at $42,500. Said to be original paint and interior. Decals were not original to the car. Very nice overall.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282735415841

Ask on this one was $55k and was told it sold very close to that. Decals were not original to the car. Claimed to be original paint and interior.

https://www.championmotorsinternational.com/1985-lotus-turbo-espirit-c-962.htm

Attached Files:

NürScud likes this.
  6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Here’s an old Motor Week road test of an ‘89 SE. 4.5 sec 0-60 was seriously fast in 1989. Did anyone else wake up early on Sunday’s to watch MW as a kid?

http://youtu.be/Q792jTJUqbE

Lotaz and rdefabri like this.
  8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  9. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    nicholasn likes this.
  10. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Yes, a bit too much. At one point, a number of these were offered without a wing and that is my all-time favourite Lotus design.

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    As the owner of a 94 I'm biased, but IMO the 94-95 wing works very well with the car. The V8 wing is out of proportion

12. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Perhaps someone can explain why such an obtrusive wing was added to the V8. This model, without a wing, had a lip on the boot.

The earlier versions which Meister refers to managed well with a more proportionate wing, whenever it was added.

13. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  15. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You can never have too much wing!

Ok those are a bit much but for the V8's but I would want a V8 with the wing myself............. I like wings though.

16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I was bidding on that one and emailed the owner asking if I could take a look at in person if the winning bidder bailed out. Didn't hear anything back so I guess it sold. Nice looking car.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I need one of these...

18. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Best looking Lotus Esprit. Free of wings, spats and spoilers. 1st year with the new side mirrors and logo. 228 bhp and other enhancements. When it comes to dream cars, this one's pretty good.

IMHO

Joe

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just picked up this 1978 Lotus Esprit S2. She is in great shape for her age, but we will be restoring her and doing a euro conversion. I'm so enamored with her. Undeniable racing pedigree, ultra light weight, purpose built...what's not to love. Don't even get me started on the styling. Even in her unrestored state, she is so damn pretty.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

hyenahf and rdefabri like this.
  20. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats! Looks like a great car! Keep us posted on the restoration.

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You are making me want to find another!

22. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Modulo_B, climb and rdefabri like this.
  23. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    So, may I assume that you tired of the Lancia experience? Looks like you cleaned house.

Good luck with the Lotus restoration project...do you plan on repainting the car in a different color?

24. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ya...after being invited to the 100 cars of Radnor Hunt, I felt like I took her as far as I could. I'm much more interested in being on the water these days and am in the process of downsizing. Next to go is the i8 in the Spring and eventually I will replace the BMW 535 and the truck with a Tesla Model X or something. Still mulling it over.

As for the Lotus, she is in surprisingly good shape but I want to do a complete overhaul. Jay and I are beginning with a thorough mechanical restoration, it would be easier to list what we are not replacing than what we are. In broad strokes, we are yanking the engine and transmission next week. The Engine is getting blueprinted as well as a 2.2 conversion with higher compression pistons, hotter cams, the works. I am looking for a somewhat hotter engine, but preferably just under 190hp to insure transmission longevity. The Transmission is getting resealed and certain prophylactic modifications are being made, as recommended. She is also getting an entirely new suspension, steering rack rebuild, radiator, brake system, clutch system, all new hoses and lines, and fuel system is being overhauled. Once that is completed I intend to drive her for a couple of months to shake things out, then depending on what we find, we will either do a repaint next or a new interior. The functioning of the electrics will dictate the next move. If they prove spotty, we will attack the interior next so we can replace the wiring system, as it is now 40 years old. The car has a new interior but I don't like the dash material anyway so I was planning on redoing it in butterscotch leather with contrast stitching to match the light tan seats. If the electrics are fine, I will do the exterior first. It will be repainted in white. I have already ordered all new exterior trim, euro bumpers, etc. Basically, I have essentially a new car in parts in storage right now!

25. finlandese

finlandese Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Finland
    I wouldn´t worry about the transmission with a naturally aspirated Esprit. I have an Esprit S2 with high compression 2,2-litre engine that has Lotusbits 4-2-1 exhaust system. When you consider that the same transmission was in an 215 hp Esprit Turbo and the 3-litre, 220hp and 1350kg Maserati Merak, it should handle 200+ hp naturally aspirated 2,2-litre engine with no difficulty.