Lotus stole the 296 GTB files! | FerrariChat

Lotus stole the 296 GTB files!

Discussion in '296' started by TheMayor, Jul 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1 TheMayor, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    OMG... now tell me this doesn't look a lot like the 296. Seems like everyone is going towards curves and away from crazy aero pieces.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  3. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    The Lotus looks more like the previous generation of Ferraris and somewhat like the Maserati (rear glass) but nothing like the 296 - I watched the Lotus “unboxing”. The 296 is much more beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    A bit generic and resembles the Artura (Arturo?), especially the side inlet.

Ferrari, as they’ve done many times before, went away from an evolutionary update of the 458/488/F8 (or as F. Stephenson and monkey guy reimagined) for the 296 so as to create something new and fresh and distance themselves from the crowd.

Juvendude, TheF1BOB, SVR and 2 others like this.
  5. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    #5 faykau, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    This looks nothing like the 296, and that's a good thing. It looks far more like that new Maserati. It appears that this car is adopting a lot of design cues from evija which was pretty much a Lotus interpretation of Laferrari anyway. So if anything it is more similar to the 458 lines than 296.
    By the way, I never understand why people aren't already annoyed by shumee a few years ago. There are many other 'car journalists' on Youtube that are much more tolerable than such.

Jo Sta7, F2003-GA, SVR and 1 other person like this.
  6. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Do folks believe it will even make it to production

Lotus is to car manufacturing like Haas is to F1

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    With GBP 100 mio invested from China/Malaysia yes. @ 60K /$ 85 they planning on 5000 pa,demand in the UK will be off the scale.

It's no 296 performance wise but with N/A 6 speed manual Toyota 3.5 V6 good for 180 mph which is plenty for most,expect a good sound track too.

Even with 1400kg to handle should be good fun too!

Gh21631 likes this.
  8. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    looks like an artura to me - and surprised how heavy it is. i think psychologically if someonce could just duck under 3000 pounds that would be nice...so many are so close. wish 296 could have done it ....cant they just get some lighter carbon bits and bobs and shave a few pounds here and there (glass and aluminum)

lots of cars 100 to 200 pounds over 3k

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It's like a petrol powered Evija. Although the Evija already was quite Ferrariish.

It looks good, but I wish it was less derivative.

Napoli likes this.
  10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    yes.

absolutely beautiful car and there is nothing better looking for £60k

they've smashed it out of the park with this and the reception has been nuts on this car

jjmalez, Napoli, Gh21631 and 4 others like this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #11 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    If you put a horse on the bonnet ..the new Dino that everyone would buy.Manual box at around 120K..ahh well dream on .

Evo reckon the V6 version will be 75-85 STG still to be confirmed by Lotus, still good value though.

willcrook and 500tr like this.
  12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Lotus have done a great job here, looks more to me like a modern take on a 308

F2003-GA and Boomhauer like this.
  13. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    lotus looks better

Napoli likes this.
  14. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    This is the first new car design in a while that I liked instantly, perhaps because it's not 'challenging', and very derivative - of cars I think look great. I see a lot of:

- 488 (side scallop, overall proportions)
    - MC20 (side profile, esp rear with ducktail spoiler - my favorite bit of the Maser, which I was otherwise underwhelmed by)
    - Evija (headlights, hood vents)

I prefer the looks of the Lotus to the Artura. I'm a sucker for 458 / 488 lines. Might have to get an Emira "for my wife" since I don't let her loose in the 488!

I'm still getting my head around the design of the 296 GTB - because it is newer, more challenging, and less derivative of its immediate predecessors. I didn't love it instantly as I did the 458. I was resigned to not liking it (as I never got to like the F8, other than from side profile, or the SF90 at all), until I saw the pic below. Now I'm thinking I really need to see one in person... Could be a grower.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

kes7u, gt4me and NürScud like this.
  15. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Lotus looks more attractive than 296!

Lesia44 and Napoli like this.
  16. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Best pic I've seen of the 296. Liked it before, but REALLY want one now!

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jjmalez and F2003-GA like this.
  17. carnika

carnika Rookie

Jun 11, 2007
    Philippines
    #17 carnika, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Among the supercars paraded at FOS, I liked the MC20 the most - such a clean design. The Rimac Nevera underwhelmed - it looked like a Corvette. I prefer the Lotus and Pininfarina versions of what is essentially the same car.

Correction: the Battista is basically a rebodied Nevera while the Evija is a different car altogether albeit with specs in same ballpark as the Rimac.

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mayor, For a guy whose always making an attempt to critique design language, you have a pretty poor eye for it. The Lotus has far more Pista in it than 296. I struggle (along with most here, it seems) to see much 296 at all.

let me find the direct similarities….hmm.

Well, they both have 4 wheels, intakes in various places, windscreens, ummm.

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Flame suit on:

I actually thought the 296 clearly had some lotus dna in it when I first saw it.

Hard to make a sports car this size with this configuration not look like this

20. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    Not N/A. It's the supercharged 3.5L from Toyota that you can find in the Exige V6 and Evora range.
    Lotus pushed it up to 430hp in its highest trim, so it's not far-fetched to predict an Emira Cup and Cup R edition.
    It's plenty fast enough in the Evora 400 and up.
    It's plenty fun and borderline scarry in the much lighter Exige 380 and up platform.

I see it too. I see a bit of an Elise when I see that rear window, the arch above it and the rear buttresses.
    Then again, the guy behind the design of the original Elise made it clear he used his Dino as inspiration.
    https://petrolicious.com/articles/meet-julian-thomsons-dino-the-ferrari-that-inspired-the-original-lotus-elise

I would take the Lotus over the 296GTB.
    I'm still confused by the overall design of the 296. Some of the design bits I love, but put together, I'm still not sold. And the mirrors, god those need to go.
    And from an engine point of view, Ferrari went ******* crazy on this one, but as a road car, I'm guessing the Emira will be more fun to push around.

21. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Its funny that looks seems to be de deciding/debating factor...while any one who owns a Lotus knows how special they are when you drive them.

Here's my Exige V6...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's just very special to drive these, unlike any other car I own....and yes I want the new Emira...but only if it captures/maintains the 'Lotus DNA and Feel'...

So very much looking forward to first test reviews...if it maintains the Exige feel, this will be one hell of a sportscar!

Love to park it next to a 296.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I had a Lotus Elise Supercharged. What a great driver. Like driving a go-cart. And it was raw. No power steering or power brakes. Just a pure sports car. If I remember correctly, it was only around 1900 pounds.

docf likes this.
  23. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Ever since Ferrari left Pininfarina, the cars do not look nor feel like a Ferrari. :(

docf and morcal like this.
  24. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I totally agree with you. This car has a lot of Ferrari in it but previous Ferraris not 296 or SF90S. Its like the Lotus guys started with Evija and then dug into the Ferrari portfolio to add on the differentiations.
    BTW I like this car a lot. I think this is the best looking car under Roma. I prefer its looks to even the Maserati MC20.