Lovin the 599 | FerrariChat

Lovin the 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by ridege55, Mar 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    This past weekend has been the nicest weekend in SoCal for a while. Took the 599 out and put a 100+ miles on it. This car continues to impress me. I drove a lot in the upper rpm band this time around. The torque is amazing and endless. Just wish the shifts were a little smoother and quicker.

Separately I plugged in a 30 pin Bluetooth adapter in the glovebox (where the iPod cable is located). Worked great and I was able to stream music from my phone. Didn’t use it much since the exhaust note is so awesome to listen to. I have a valve controller and left them open. The burbles and popping are better than music.

Going back into storage for next weekend. The 599 is truly an amazing car:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- When was the last time you had your F1 system serviced. Supposed to be every three years. Change fluid, bleed system, check PIS, check for leaks. May be your problem. Also, if your 599 is later than SN 156938, you can upgrade the F1 system to HGTE specs and quicken the shifts a little (100 ms to 85 ms).

3. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Terry, great points. I purchased the 599 as certified from a Ferrari dealership last year. I assumed these things were done but I guess I should never assume anything. Mine is 156235, so maybe an upgrade is not possible? Not a big deal though as I won't be able to take advantage of those quicker shifts ;)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, likely Motronic 7.1.1 and you have to have 7.3.2 to do the F1 upgrades from the HGTE package. Whoever you bought it from may have only checked the F1 fluid level, so worth checking

5. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I remember seeing your car at the Torrance car show this past weekend. Very nice!!

ridege55 likes this.
  6. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I have a 2002 456M GT that I really do enjoy but might be on the 599 exchange parade. This is my first visit to this section and any thread, and low and behold the definitive 456/550/575 guru Taz is right here too. That's good Karma.

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree that is good karma. I exchanged out a Testarossa for the 599. So many things I loved about the TR, but no regrets. It was time for a change. Each time I drive the 599, the greater appreciation I have for it. The v12 on this car is amazing.

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Spring is here and it's time to get the car out! I drove it through the winter, but only when conditions were right. I'm over 3,000 miles since August.

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's been a brutal winter, even in California with all the rain. Agree that it's time to get the cars out!