Low-Mileage 3.2 Cab on BaT | FerrariChat

Low-Mileage 3.2 Cab on BaT

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Temple, Jan 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Timing is off (sales, not cam).

Great buy for the new owner, or new seller. ;)

3. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Interesting to compare with recent BAT auctions for old Ferraris :

https://bringatrailer.com/ferrari/

(308 GTS reserve not met at $44K, 355 Spyder reserve not met at $41K, 348 GTB sold for $50K, 308 GTSi sold for $49K)

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting numbers there.

5. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Interesting meaning not strong numbers?? I might possibly agree. But this particular 3.2 was pretty much a collector grade quality/one owner from new example. In this regard the other BaT listing were not. Certainly the time of year, as well as the recent pull-backs in the stock and Ferrari markets were also factors (imho). All that being said and everything being equal this seems like a GREAT buy (again imho). I quess we’ll all know in 5-7 yrs.

Temple

6. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Yes, the numbers seem low to me. I agree the 3.2 should have gone higher given it's quality. Also agree that recent market pullbacks may be having an effect. In this respect the Mondial is possibly less exposed, values not having been so inflated..

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    That looks like one of the better examples available in a long time. It has been nicely detailed and presented, but also appears to have had a fair amount of the relevant maintenance work done befitting its age. The buyer has done very well.

Why does the convertible roof have the two snap like fittings on the outside, the tonneau cover does not use them, my 88 Cab does not have these, were they factory? Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. lince

lince Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    On my 86 i have the snap ons for the cover also so can confirm they are original

ronfrohock likes this.
  9. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting because it confirms my thoughts on most of them, lower. But nice to see the 348tb holding steady. :)

And yes, awesome score for this 3.2 Cab.

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    But what cover, the one on Bat has the leather cover affixed with the tennax fasteners at each end, not the intermediate snaps to retain it? Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    moysiuan likes this.
  12. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
  13. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Wow. Not my cup of tea. How to rationalise this?

I guess there is a new generation who grew-up admiring these plastic, reliable, mass-produced Japanese sports cars. I suspect the vast majority are now high-mileage, modified, or scrap.

Original, low-mileage examples are probably rarer than Ferrari’s of the same vintage, which tend to be well preserved. But unlike Ferrari’s, these Japanese cars were more likely the coveted “girl next door”

14. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    In all fairness, the A80 TT was a remarkable car in it's day with an incredible level of performance. It was Toyota's halo car and halo cars tend to hold their values very well over the long-haul. And as you point out, a low-mile, all original virgin Supra is going to rise above the rest in values as most of them were over-modified and many destroyed.

One halo car that hasn't done well at all is the C4 ZR-1. There seem to be an exceptional number of well-preserved, VERY low mileage examples out there which seems to be depressing their prices.

2cam

15. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I guess I disagree with most of the posters in this thread about the 3.2. I thought it was a very nice example, but I think $45,000+5% commission was full value for a need nothing 3.2 Cab with that mileage.

The bidder put that bid in a couple of days before the close and nobody challenged him.

Higher than that and it approaches T territory. I am not talking about the high asking prices, or the sub-3K time capsule T's, just nice well sorted T's. I think they can be had for less than $55,000 and sometimes less than $50,000.

JMHO

And F Supra's, halo, schmalo!

alexion likes this.
  16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    And is being flipped for $500k lol

https://jalopnik.com/the-1994-toyota-supra-that-sold-for-121-000-on-bring-a-1831800363

Seems to happen a lot at BaT.

But anyway, these Supras were the Asian version muscle cars in their day, and yes, with a cult following. I remember, as a middle schooler riding in the back seat of my mother's station wagon, and seeing a Plymouth Superbird coming by so quickly, it was a blur... I about jumped out of my seat, pointing at it. Only no one in the car knew what I was so excited about. I imagine the Supra having the same effect on some. ;)

17. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    So I guess that Supra was an advertising and promotion expense for the dealership and the $500k ask is to create media buzz - which it did as we are discussing it. Interesting logic, and at the very least, I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that would be willing to buy it for $120k.

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Marketing tactics. Always interesting.

For example, while searching the VIN of the car that's the subject of this thread, this comes up:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ZFFXC26A8H0071817

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah seems a bit low. $45,000 + 5% Bat Premium = $47,250

The previous high I saw for a 3.2 cab was $54,000 in the 2016 Mecam Auction in Indianapolis - that one had 8,000 miles on her.

Did this one have a 30K done recently? If not - call it an even 50K.

Here is my spreadsheet (I have not updated in a month) - The Japanese Mondial t prototype I think sold for 40K.

Hope this helps.

20. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I think the price is low, in that for a need nothing near show quality car, the spread between that and models that are well used and/or needing alot of work to meet to a similar condition is not very high. It does imply that driving the cars and using them up doesn't carry that great a penalty.

I also think the idea of capping a 3.2 based on a t price point presumes that for the same dollars one would automatically chose a t. I doubt people who really want a t would seriously cross shop for the earlier models, and vice versa. They are different experiences being sought, and different maintenance requirements for the t's contend with.

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  22. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Me too.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

moysiuan likes this.
  23. lince

lince Karting

Sep 26, 2006
    The middle ones are not visibles on the outside but they make the cover really tight and keep the line.

24. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My 1988 does not have the snaps. I have seen other Mondial 3.2 and t's with one more tenax post in the middle. The wind at highway speed does lift the cover in that area, so I can see why there could be a need for added fastening. Just surprised there does not seem to one standard approach from the factory, and my late model Swiss Market car does have the original roof and cover.