Lower alternator R&R labor | FerrariChat

Lower alternator R&R labor

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by miami355, Sep 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    On my 1984 400i, dealer is billing 8 hour to R&R the lower alternator. That sounds excessive. I had both removed a few years ago and don’t remember it being so costly. Has anyone done this themselves or had It done and know if it is that labor intensive?

Thanks,

David

2. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Don't know on a 400, but on a 412, it should not take more than 1 hour to remove and another hour to put back - anymore than that, it means you are either incompetent or overcharging.

Schumi likes this.
  3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The lower one is a pain for sure as you have many ancilaries in the way.

Has he tried to change the regulator and the brushes first? An alternator replaced during your ownership should still have good bearings, rectifier bridge and collector.

Regulator would be a one hour job.

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Removing the hood (which takes 10 min) makes it much easier.

Ak Jim likes this.
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If the alternator is off then have it gone through. Putting in brushes and a regulator would be a major brain fart move. One problem among many Ive seen is the insulation for the armature wires to the slip rings disappears over time and shorts out on the steel body. Worth opening up.

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    When I first got my '84 400i, I did a complete belt change. It took 8 hours (2 shifts). Getting the lower alternator off is not that difficult; the belts are the harder part. I made some notes about changing belts; there are some tricks required due to Ferrari just not caring how long it takes. The top alternator is easy but its belt is tough to get over the drive pulley on the steering pump. (No need to do that to get the lower alternator out.) My estimate is 2 hours to R&R the lower alternator.
    Ken

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I was suggesting to do it "in situ": removing the regulator is not an horrendous job, and the part is cheap.

We've got to bear in mind that the regulator does include the commutator brushes. Brushes do wear. Assuming that @miami355 did replace the alternators with new ones last time, I would just take a chance on the $25 regulator/brushes.

If the alternator is still faulty with a new regulator & brushes, time to remove all the ancillaries from the engine bay and put the alternator on the bench.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    That is something I’ve done several times over the years. Makes a huge difference when working on the front on the engine.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    We approach things from two very different angles. I like to do it right and once rather than incrementally until the problem is solved.

10. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Ken,
    What is the best technique to get the lower alternator removed? My lower alternator has failed and need to remove it. Any tips are very welcome and much appreciated. Many thanks.

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    In all fairness would you change the alternator without replacing the belts? That's basically the subject of this thread: replacing alternators and belt is a one day job, replacing just the alternator cuts the labour in half, but does it make sense to install a brand new alternator with old belts?

If the objective of the OP is to make an economical repair let's make it cheap.

As a side note, after several disappointments with core exchange, I did rebuild my last 3 alternators myself (unsolder the rectifier bridge, test the diodes, test the winding & true the commutator). Except from one bearing, the culprits were the brushes (i.e the regulator module). I am now using transpo regulators from a local shop (old stock). No more issues.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not suggesting anyone blow money like a fool because its a Ferrari but pinching pennies isn't ideal either. If cost cutting is the approach then buy a chevy.

Unless the belts were just replaced prior to the alternator issue I would replace them. They're cheap and kind of important and if they're hard to replace too bad. If you want reliability rebuild both alternators and replace the belts, they're probably long overdue. If someone debates a fan belt change what else is the car lacking in service?

Ak Jim likes this.