Lowering my California | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lowering my California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by XSSSIVE, Apr 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Thank you!

I never expected to get so much positive feedback on the photos; just wanted to post an example of what the car looked like. :eek:

Really glad you all enjoy the images. I just had the panorama printed on Satin paper. 60"x24". Where do you find a frame that big? :) Can't wait to put it on my wall!!!

-G.B.

2. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Much better. I'm glad it turned out perfect.....

3. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    You'll most likely need to visit a custom framing shop, sice that does not sound standard size.

4. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Looks very very nice!

5. gadgetman

gadgetman Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2008
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Curt W
    #30 gadgetman, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
    Also agree the slight lowering looks great. I've not been a big fan of lowering anything, however just last weekend I was staring at my Cali in a parking lot and for the first time it dawned on me the it looks like there's ALOT of space above the front tire. After seeing your post I may actually consider it.....only concern is I DO have magnaride. Unsure if there are any issues. I'll have to go digging through the forum. I"m sure this has been discussed b4.

6. jasonrhcastle

jasonrhcastle Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    Any updates to the idea of lowering a vehicle with Magnaride? I am thinking about doing this to mine in the future when it comes...

J

7. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    Wow! With the new wheels on it looks like a nice car.
    With the new wheels and the lowering it look amazing! What a difference!

8. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    i find lowering a cali to be an absurd waste of money. the cali has higher limits stock than we can access on the street. i see no reason to scrape every drivway for a slightly different look.

still i'm glad you are happy. different strokes...

9. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    Ignacio, I couldn't help but chuckle after reading your statement. After spending 200+ k on an automobile, which most common people would consider "an absurd waste of money," what's a few more k to make it look just right for the buyer? Most Cali owners will never even get close to the cars limits - why not just drive a BMW then??

Sammi likes this.
  10. lordbluf

lordbluf Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    hi there, do you know if you can lower the Cali on the OEM springs by more than 20mm. Im looking to get them lowered by 35mm...

thanks

Lord.

11. Jcm91ca

Jcm91ca Rookie

Jan 16, 2016
    What's the maximum you can lower a Ferrari California on stock coilovers?

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I can't remember exactly but I believe a safe limit is 3/4 to 1 inch. You can search the forum to make sure but your dealer will definitely know. Mine told me when I bought my car and asked them.

However IMO, the stock springs are too soft so if you lower using those springs, you car will likely bottom out even more easily. Not nice. You should really upgrade the springs if you want to lower the car and have it ride and handle properly.

13. Peter P

Peter P Karting

Dec 22, 2011
    Boston area
    I lowered my 2013 HS on stock springs by -7/8 to -1" and am quite pleased with the results. Initially I went -1 3/8 to -1 1/2 and that was too low to avoid bottoming on speed bumps, cornering on undulations and over more minor pot holes. I have not noticed bottoming with my stock springs but perhaps this is because the HS stock springs are a bit firmer?

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes Peter, the springs in your HS Cali30 are stiffer than regular stock springs and that explains why your car is good even with it lowered.

FWIW, when I got my Cali30 upgraded with the HS Pack the master mechanic who worked on my car told me it was lowered slightly as a result, possibly because the upgraded springs are shorter. I did not ask to lower it more as there are simply too many hazards on the roads and parking lots here.

Doing the Cali30 HS Pack upgrade was a super good move. The car works much better and you can also tell it's been lowered to a much better-looking height as a bonus! ;)

15. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I have a 2014 with HS Pkg and a buddy and I will be lowering mine about 7/8" using the stock springs. I have a question for those of you that have already done it. It appears to me that at the stock OEM setting the front of the car is riding about 1/2" higher than the back. It has been difficult to confirm without getting measurements off the frame but looking at distances under the wheel wells to the ground and gaps between wheel wells and tires as well as ride height underneath. Can anyone confirm if this is just an illusion and if your ride height was set at level by who ever did yours? When I look at everyones pictures, it appears that the cars are setting more level after the lowering. Thanks!

16. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Update for any DIY types. I have tried to do this twice now with 2 different race shops that regularly do race car set-up and prep. Both times we were unsuccessful in moving the perch collars. Even when suspended from a 4 post lift with all wheels just hanging, there is still so much pre-load pressure on the springs that we can't turn the collars without damaging them. They only way we could move the rears were to put a spring compressor on but the fronts don't allow enough room. Given, we didn't have the exact size collar wrenches that Ferrari requires, so my next step will be to investigate buying those specific wrenches and hope they give me better grip and leverage.

Any one else experience this problem, or did I just get the Italian weight lifting champion as my suspension installer during manufacturing? :)