Lowering our rides.. | FerrariChat

Lowering our rides..

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by zaid458, Nov 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zaid458

zaid458 Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    I need someone to clear me on this one. Was seriously considering lowering my 458 as i have seen attractive results on some member's cars on this forum. but on one hand you have a bunch of people advising against this as it would compromise other aspects of the car, ride quality, balance or whatever it is etc etc.....

but this got me thinking, surely this shouldnt be the case, as it is so often the case that u see the "hardcore" versions of many sportscars are lowered by the manufacturers anyway for example f430=> scuderia, R8 v10> GT and the 599 wiht their HGTE etc etc....

2. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    I think it all depends on who does the work and what components are used and/or changed when lowering the car.

Whenever you lower a car you want to make sure that you keep the suspension geometry the same as it was when it left the factory. This is not always a simple task.

I would do some research and look at the results of other people that have done it already and ask them what issues they have encountered (if any). That way you know what you might be getting into.

I can't understand why Ferrari gave the 458 so much space between the tire sidewall and the edge of the fender. The car looks like it's ready to go off road or something. Look at a BMW M3 the way it sits from the factory. The thing looks like it's going to scrape the fenders at every little bump (but it doesn't). That's the look I want in a sports car in my opinion.

3. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I lowered mine and love it.
    Cost a fortune for only a small drop but it's worth it.
    Noticed zero handling differences and in fact it's been a beast.

4. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Dearler did mine for around $1200. Looks great and never hits. Highly recommend it!

5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Depends whether you are happy with something which looks like a 4x4 SUV or not I guess

6. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Can I ask you what they did? And could you post some before and after pics if it's not too much trouble?

Thank you in advance.

7. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    #7 rblissjr, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Arnie had his car done after mine at the same location. They simply turn the spring retainers and re-align. Mine were maxed out. Roughly 1.5" drop in front and 1" in back.

My car was selected by Fiat to be in a advertisement. The last shot was one from the shoot. If they think it looks good then it should silence the critics... Rb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    Proper look

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I really like the lowered looks but there is no way I can drive that on the crumby streets in America!

docf likes this.
  10. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    I really like the look too but i'd be scraping everything with the road condition and speed humps here in Brunei :(

11. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Depends on where you live and where you drive. I put 22,000 miles on a C6 Corvette with coil overs that was slammed, and I never had any problems. I even drove from Dallas to Miami and it was fine.

12. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It seems that's not really a ride height issue as much as a disliking for the amount real estate between the tire and wheelwell.

Instead of lowering, would moving up to a 20" rim / tire configuration fill the gap better? Clearly it's much more costly but wouldn't a slightly larger rolling diameter would do the same thing... visually speaking.

13. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I had my 458 lowered by the dealer. As stated previously, they just "screw" the shocks in. My dealer was very careful to measure the car post lowering to make sure chassis height to pavement was equal side to side. It required some fine tuning but worth it. Handling marginally better. Look vastly better. No ride compromise occurs as no change to actual spring/shock function (no compression/rebound change).
    In regards to scraping, we put delrin on front of car. This way any scraping spared bodywork and took worry out of it. Delrin apparently known for years to track day guys to protect cars from curbing.
    I did not maximally lower car. About 3/4 inch or so made a huge difference in appearance. Plus, no change to caster/camber settings needed. Just alignment.
    When I get spider same will be done.

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Perhaps the factory prefers that the wheels not hit the fenders?

15. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    If you do lower it and want more aggressive springs, we have the KW/Novitec lowering spring kits instock for the 458.

This really would just help for people that want the car lowered and plan to track it every once in a while.

16. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yup. Looks better. I, too would be fearful of scraping. I am amazed that I do not scrape the Cali at all. Heck, I scrape the Panamera sometime. Nice Pick, btw.

17. 15hn

15hn Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2005
    Full Name:
    HN
    The workshop manual usually says +/- 5mm.

What Ive found is the car is set up high out of the factory. After 1000 miles it settles but its still higher than what workshop manual says it should be. After 1000 miles I take it to the dealer and they put it as close to -5mm as possible. Any more than -5mm ruins the ride and usability which ruins the enjoyment of the car.

18. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Actually the streets in Florida aren't bad at all....

19. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    I have a lift so keen to do this once my suspension is broken in.

What's the informed consensus -- if I am not doing an extreme drop, can my dealer handle this or do you need to take it to a tuner that is set up to do corner balancing, adjust the alignment to compensate, etc?

20. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    I think lowering improves the looks marginally but I just don't see it being worth it unless you never encounter anything but perfectly flat and even roads.

I tend to think Ferrari knows a proper ride height better than some guy at a shop.

21. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    #21 jcosta79, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can't be serious? Dozens of different sports cars have been made over the years that come from the factory much lower than the 458 does.

This is what an M3 and a GT2 RS look like from the factory. You can't tell me that BMW and Porsche drivers are banging their wheels into the fenders all day.

22. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    You can't simply put on a larger wheel and tire without wreaking havoc with the traction control, speedometer, stability control, etc...

When cars come from the factory with larger wheels as options, the tires have shorter sidewalls so that no matter what combination they offer, they all have the same overall diameter.

That's why lowering is the only way to go, unless you can re-program the car's ECU for the new overall tire diameters.

23. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    #23 cpiguy, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    The 458 comes with 20" wheels. Also, upgrading from 19's to 20' doesn't impact a car in any serious way unless you intend on tracking it. I've done wheels size upgrades on almost every car I've owned without a single issue. And yes, the tire profile needs to change so the the overall diameter is very close to OEM.

24. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Just to complicate this issue, the chief mechanic at our dealership has found that 458's stock from the factory can vary in ride height quite a bit - some are a little high, others more so. Perhaps this observation is consistent with the spec of +/- 5 mm, which means some 458's are 10 mm lower than others, as delivered new. In my mind, that is quite a bit of difference. It's important to remember that with lowering or setting ride height that alignment has to be set to factory specs in order to preserve handling characteristics. Preserving factory rake settings likely also important.

25. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    Robert, as I have said before, I absolutely love your 458! Nice work. :)