Lucas fuel injection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lucas fuel injection

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jan 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Yes, I believe so.

Ivan

2. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I appears that Triumph used the MkII model of the F.I. injection system while Maserati used the MkI.

Below is an interesting website which is dedicated to the Lucas fuel injections ....

http://www.lucasinjection.com/index.html

Ivan

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #29 thecarnut, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lucas advertisement after a fuel injectied Jaguar won Le mans in 1957.

Did Maserati use the fuel injection in the race cars?

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    In the late fifties Maserati experimented with a Bosch diesel-style direct fuel injection distributor on the in-line six 250F F1 engine with Dell'orto throttle bodies. The 1967 Cooper Maserati F1 car's V12, how ever, had Lucas mechanical fuel injection with Dell'orto TBs but it was a Mark II competition fuel distributor without vacuum or barometric influence. The same unit used by Ferrari, and many other, racing engines. The passenger car style Lucas fuel distributor, as on the Mistral, was used on marine racing V8s. The vacuum, barometric unit poked out of the front from between the cylinder heads, as on the 5000GT V8 engine.

6. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    I agree with Ivan that the cars should be kept original and with the fuel injection. I have had four Maserati's with fuel injection and was able to make them all run well. One of the things I do is rebuild the fuel distrubuter with Vitron O rings. They appear to wear better and are resistant to the new gasoline additives. I currently have a Mistral with the dry system on it and it has been a very reliable car for 20 years. The problems I have seen are the Vacuum piston is usually worn and or as the engines wear the engine vacuum drops. Will is right, the easy way to change the mixture is to put a feeler gage between the cam and the little wheels that slide on the cam. Most of any problem is not with the fuel injection or the caburators but other problems with the engine. When the fuel injection is calibrated correctly and the ret of the engine is right, there is no flat spots on acceleration from 700-6000rpm.
    The major complaint with the wet system is, fuel in the oil. As soon as the key is turned on the fuel is supplied at 100psi to the Distrubuter. Even with all the seals in excellent shape fuel will pass the seals and leak into the oil. As soon as the engine starts there is a 100psi oil pump to balance the fuel pressure. I have developed a "fix" for this which is to seal up the distrubuter and put a drain in the bottom of it with a tube to a holding tank. I drove a Sebring for 20 years this way and had about a quart of fuel and oil to throw out every 300 miles. Even with the wet system and this minor modification I did not have any fuel in the oil. The dry system has this same drain and returns the fuel to the fuel tank. If anyone is interested contact me off line and I wll send you a copy of the artical.
    I have had a set of carbs and manifold for over twenty years but have never been convinced to replace the fuel injection. I also agree the Bosch pump is a very good addition to the system to make long trips less of an adventure. Over all with the four cars I have had I have had more fuel pump failures than any thing else.

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Gene...

Good to hear from you on this thread... I know we have
    met several times at various events, the last being Pismo
    or the Grand Canyon, I think.. I know you have a wealth
    of technical info and always look forward to hearing it..

I also am interested in the modification of the wet
    system... ([email protected])

Mike Demyanovich

9. marcflorie

marcflorie Rookie

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marc Florie
    Hello,
    Ivan, first of all, very good idea to start this thread, thanks for that!

In Holland (where I live) is someone called Harm Klijn who is specialized in Lucas fuel injection systems. Got his education at Lucas, has original Hartridge calibrating equipment and can deliver new parts for it, a.o. the injectors which he makes new (Mike D. asked for this)!
    His company is called Powerprops, and you can find it at www.powerprops.com.
    He is very helpsome, I spoke to him on the phone. In his opinion it is possible to rebuild the LUCAS FI completely AND to have it reliable and he told me he has many customers for them (in the Maserati and Triumph field). His website conains much info, also on the different metering units (wet and dry) for the different cars.

I own two 3500 GTI's, both are 1962.
    The first is a good original car, still equiped with the FI, but the engine does need an overhaul. I don't know the exact mileage, but I think it is (very) high (regarding the low compression on some cylinders and the noises of pistons).
    And yes, I think there is some gasoline in the oil. However, the high mileage and lack of service on the engine and FI are in my opinion the reasons for this. I'll start rebuilding this engine this year and I will definitely put the FI back on the car, because it is original and because it has higher power and torque than Webers.

The second one is a project car, equiped with a BMW FI (on a BMW engine!) but I will convert this one back to LUCAS FI (on a Maserati engine of course), allready have the main parts for it.

I also am interested in the modification of the wet system... ([email protected]).

Marc Florie

10. marcflorie

marcflorie Rookie

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marc Florie
  11. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    #36 rentsch1961, Jan 10, 2013
    Hi,
    I have a Mistral Coupe 3.7 built november 65 (AM109.572) with a "wet" FI system and I am concerned by the problem of the oil contaminated by fuel.

- eogorman, I am interested by your modification ([email protected])

- wildegroot, can you tell us more about the Bosch fuel pump (type and part Nr, location in the car). I only know it's a special high pressure pump.

- Is it possible to convert from a wet system to a dry system?

Thank you, Alain
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    The 2 fuel pumps are mounted inside the right front fender (wing) near the firewall/cowl area (scuttle) behind the splash-apron. The pumps are hard to miss once the splash apron is removed as they are giant.

We have not replaced one of those big old pumps with a little Bosch pump in a while and off hand I don't know the Bosch part number. We are a Bosch Service Center but most pumps are listed by application so it would take some sorting to locate the right pump. Before going through all that you might try MIE. They used used to sell the Bosch 100 PSI pump(s) you need and they may still have one or two on the shelf.

The drain line is definitely a good idea. Fuel is a poor lubricant and could conceivably explode in the crankcase.

Good luck,

Wil

13. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    I agree with every one on the board.

Originality is key!
    Inmy case my 62 3500 GTI was converted to carbs a long time ago.
    I have the the injection system that goes with the car " WET " stored in my attic.

I looked into putting back the FI on my car and the trouble was more than it's worth.

If anyone needs to put the FI back on the car, get ready to pay around $6000 easy, not including the sending units to be rebuilt or new injectors.
    Plus 20 - 30 hours of fine tuning.

Another negative aspect, locating a mechanic that is well educated on the subject and has done a couple before you.

Personally, carbs sounds better : )

14. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    Hi,
    Thank you for your answers.

Does anybody know if it is possible to convert a car from a wet to a dry FI system?
    Alain.

15. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Yes you can convert

You will need the dry type sending unit.

Make sure you are using the correct setting. Try to stay away from the 4.0 if you are planning on using on a 3500 GTI

Allot of these wet types are for 3.5 and the dry type are for 3.7 and 4.0

There is a way to make a modification to the dry type to match what you need.
    If you are using any of the 3.7 or 4.0 with modification to the sending unit your car will not run correctly. Too rich...

Probably a new set of injectors also.

16. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    I would just ad a drain line to the fuel distributor and hide a catch tank (plastic bottle) somewhere as eogorman did if you really feel the need. I've personally never worried about it too much. If the system is maintained and monitored and if, like with most of these cars it's not driven like a bread delivery van, the wet system should be fine. People used to worry about valve-seat wear with no lead in the gasoline and Miuras without a split-sump conversion. It's really not a big issue when most of these cars don't even accumulate 1,000 miles a year on the odometers.

17. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    I make new inserts for the lucas injectors.
    They are sold to USA, NL, UK, Germany etc
    Pressure test these (3.4 bars is best for Maserat/Ferrari)
    Also available racing type for higher fuel supply.
    In stead of using the shims on the Lucas pump to increase height and thus more fuel.

I also restore the manifolds with lucas for Maserati Mistral, Sebring etc
    Ferraris with Lucas is also possible to refurbish to new. New linkage, new injectors etc etc. Concours ready.

PM me for more info

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Great info Tom!

Ferraris with Lucas ?? I didn't know they were used on the F cars .... which models ?

Ivan

19. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Ferrari 330 P4, 312Ps (1968-1973), 512S/512M, 512 BBLM
    And some Dino racers (system like Maserari Mistral etc)

20. lussoman

lussoman Karting

Sep 7, 2008
    Sent you a PM

Chris Rose

21. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    #46 tomgt, Aug 1, 2017
  22. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  23. Tigras

Tigras Rookie

Jun 22, 2019
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Tigras
    @tomgt Great works! Is your offer regarding injectors for 3500GTI and Sebring still valid? Please send me answer on PM if you can.

24. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Yes. The most capable in the USA for Lucas are https://kinsler.com/Shop/lucas-mechanical/

25. Tigras

Tigras Rookie

Jun 22, 2019
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Tigras
    Does anyone have the article which eogorman wrote about?
    Maybe somebody have the same fix in his 3500 GT and can write how to do it or tell where and how exactly the drain should be mounted?
    Does anyone else have in 3500 gt the dry type sending unit ?