Lucky I live Maui! | FerrariChat

Lucky I live Maui!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by mauispence, Jul 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    After three long hot miserable weeks on the mainland I’m home on Maui at last!
    I love Maui and Hawaii as a whole. There are some nice and beautiful places on the mainland and in the rest of the world as well I know. Still when you boil it all down Maui and West Maui in particular is where I want to be and stay, live and play.
    I often sleep on my lanai and this morning I awoke to a double rainbow. Do you know that in a double rainbow the colors of one bow are reversed? Check it out.
    Great GOD almighty I home at last!

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Jim,

You are very fortunate.... It's great that you realize it. Enjoy the breezes...

Aloha

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    On behalf of the damned, I humbly request you stop torturing us with tales of temperate climes, and at least torture us with photos of native and visiting wahines suitable for publication, which will cause drooling which will in turn, help cool this living Hell the rest of us live in!

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Personally, you can have Hawaii. I still own a home on the Big Island, and heading back next week. I'm cringing. Hotter than hell and so humid I could barf. Traffic and a-holes everywhere.
    I can't wait to be back in Montana where you can sleep comfortably when its 90 degrees out.

5. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    From the tone of this comment, you're either kidding or planning on adding to the '******' count...which is it?

6. Hawaiian35

Hawaiian35 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    A lot of A holes nowadays no matter where you go. People are rude, don't give a F. They're everywhere. Look around you, the person next to you might be one.

7. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    You could be right...too bad, I think Hawaii's a pretty slick place...

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Maybe adding to it, I don't know. I guess you'd have to meet me to figure that one out. Do you live on a Hawaiian Island? If you do you will certainly know what I mean. I've never met ruder locals anywhere. Hawaiian Japanese as a whole are the worst for rudeness. A lot of people just plain refuse to learn and speak American. Very frustrating especially if you try to do business there. Are you in business there? Then maybe you know what I mean.

Many think Hawaii has the perfect temperature, I don't. 83 degrees with very high humidity is not my idea of paradise. Maybe it is for you.

Locals stopping abruptly on highways and getting out to talk to each other, backing up traffic and not caring, is not only rude but dangerous. Locals dumping garbage and abandoned cars on the roadside is actually a crime, but nobody seems to care too much. No I really don't care for Hawaii too much, but thats just me. As for my tone, you really wouldn't have any idea what my tone is from reading a post on an internet board now would you. But maybe your a mind reader. Can you read my mind right now?

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

In Hawaii I'm not sure which I dislike more, rude locals or rude tourists. I once saw a tourist lady come absolutely unglued at a local on a Moped at a turn signal. They were both in the wrong but the lady honking the horn yelling and giving the finger was funny. The local just sat there and acted stupid. It was a very funny situation. Giving the finger in Hawaii is somehow, very unkosher!!!!

10. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Dude. Honestly.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

As of 2000, native speakers of Hawaiian amount to under 0.1% of the statewide population. Nikkei comprise 1/5 of population and all 3 languages, English, Japanese and Hawai'ian are taught in schools, with the native tongue being the least available, even in modern form.

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Man, I don't have a clue what you just said!!!!!!!!
    Could you speak "American" for a moment here?

12. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ah reckon ain't many folk still speak local.

13. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow! I am confused. You hate Hawaii but still own a home there? Why? If you don't like it, sell it! Maybe I am just a little slated but my wife and I have always enjoyed Hawaii and really get along well with the Japanese. Actually Japanese is a second language for me. Sorry Hawaii is such a bummer for you.

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Rude people can be found everywhere.

Hawaii = Paradise

The End. ;)

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey Glassman, Aloha......

You know island living isn't for everyone. I respect your opinion to dislike it. As I'm sure you know, all the Hawaiian islands have their own different style. The Big Island is more local with a lot of population growth in recent years. Many people buying a piece of "paradise" before seeing if it's really for them. Prices went crazy over there. I would even guess that locals might be a bit put off by mainlanders and their attitudes. I wish you the best on your stay...

I will tell you a bit about the Hawaiian attitude or "Aloha" spirit. I was on Oahu during the big tsunami of 2010. Truthfully it was a laughable non-event, but at the time people didn't know that. That day they expected potentially life threatening waves to hit in the early afternoon. The beaches were closed... people camped on high ground... police and fire dept. patrolling the low areas. What struck me was this - When I went out to the main road - Everyone was driving the speed limit - When people needed to turn onto a road - People let them in graciously - When I was at the market to buy food - People would share the last of items - They didn't hoard or just take more than they needed - People had smiles on their faces in the midst of a potentially major event - and they weren't just thinking of themselves - They were thinking about each other - I think finding "Aloha" spirit is rare and lost on many that don't understand. I'm not being critical, but if you're not seeing it, maybe you're not giving it.

Aloha

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

My wife loves Hawaii and spends more than half the year there. We will be buying her a small ranch or farm in the near future. I may ***** about it but it looks like I will be living at least part time in Hawaii as long as I want to be married!!!!!!

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Your absolutely correct. I always say I give "tough Aloha". Kinda like tough love.
    But thats really what I dislike the most. I built my business in Montana with very hard work seven days a week. I expect people to perform and not slack off. The spirit of, oh we can take care of it tommorrow or next week or never that is so prevelant in Hawaii goes against my work ethics completely. I'm sure you've tried to hire a local builder at one time or another and know what I mean.

I got sick a few years ago and couldn't complete a bathroom remodel. We hired a local well respected contractor to do the work with very explicit instructions for what we wanted. He completly diregarded our instructions and then tried to bill us 3k more than the bid price. I should have refused payment and taken him to court but him being part Hawaiian, that would have been a mistake. Hawaii is the most politically corrupt place I've ever lived. I know a lady that got her son off of a Meth manufacturing charge with 30k and a day of her lawyer playing golf with the judge.

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said. Though, I will point out that in many housing boom areas, finding good contractors was near impossible. I do have some experience with contractors in Hawaii and I've scratched my head on the level of slowness and incompetency I've witnessed. But, ask anyone and they'll tell you it's hard to find good contractors anywhere.

The ICE problem you mention is prevalent and really sad. It is the cause of the majority of crime.

What I can say is this.... If you already know you are going to have to spend a fair amount of time there - because you love your wife, then try and look at it from a different perspective. I doubt anything you are doing over there requires immediate resolution. Just laugh it off and realize how fortunate you are to spend time relaxing, enjoying, and not having some of the life problems that some of the people you are complaining about are dealing with.

For example - One contractor that I was dealing with was close to homeless from lack of work. I doubt either of us deal with that kind of stress.

BTW - There is no such thing as "Tough" Aloha - clearly missing the point....

I'll tell you what, find a spot where you can be alone overlooking the water. A place in the shade perhaps, with the trades blowing. Someplace where you can view the humpbacks breaching..... and just reflect. Think about the issues in Darfur, the US military in Afghanistan, or something else you wouldn't want to trade your life for. Put a smile on your face and crack a beer or a cocktail of your liking and send me the bill. I'll buy the first round.

Aloha

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #19 Kevin Rev'n, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    G Man, you're getting some Aloha right here in the form of genuine responses meant to improve your experience. I like the mention that your problems are "good" problems. When I moved here it took me about 2 months for my body to acclimate to the weather and about 7 more months before I started "feeling" like I fit in and noticably giving back. You know..slowing down a little, let that family cross the street to get to the beach, let that car go in front of you. There isnt enough infrastructure to put a stop light everywhere one is required. We've got to watch out for one another = Aloha.

There is a ton of predudice here. You can break through some of it with a smile. Some of it takes more effort and time but so far my experience of living here for 5 years has revealed that I cant break though all the barriers. That is a hard pill to swallow since anywhere else I could find a way to get around it or avoid it entirely. You are talking big island too which is the over done end of the "I am Hawaiian and you are not" continuim. There is a lot of Aloha to be had there as well but you will need to project the vibe that you are part of the whole and your objectives are no more important than the next. You are sharing space, beautiful space, with others and we are all in this together. You may have to initiate positive interaction in a disproportionate ratio to that which you receive at first, but as time goes by it will start to balance out.

If your wife loves it here let her teach you what she likes, some good suggestions have been given for you to get into the correct frame of mind.

Aloha

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I know, its a joke between my wife and I. She says I need to relax and let things slide, and I say I'm just giving them Tough Aloha. I was once at the KTA store and getting very impatient with the checker. She looked at my wife and said...........wow, he's really INTENSE. My wife says, honey, you aint seen nothing yet.

21. SWIFTVISION

SWIFTVISION Karting

Jul 22, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I'll be moving there in 13 more months!!!! Hope to meet a fellow Fchater.

I'll be in Wialia in 3 weeks to start figuring out how I'm going to make this move work! Can't wait, such a wonderful place.

22. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Let me know if I may be of any assistance. PM me any questions.

Aloha

23. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Wailea? You're going to be on Maui? Just trying to understand... What's your plan?

Congrats man.

24. SWIFTVISION

SWIFTVISION Karting

Jul 22, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I'll be staying in Wailea in 2 weeks. As far as moving, we will probably move to Kihei first until we get settled and find jobs, etc.

25. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Prepare yourself for heat!!!!!
    Portland, now thats a nice liveable temperature.