430 - LUCKY STRIKE: BOUGHT A GEARBOX FOR $50 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 LUCKY STRIKE: BOUGHT A GEARBOX FOR $50

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Sep 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#26 24000rpm, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    11th pic, remove the plate on the end of the primary shaft, pic shown removed (compare that to the 10th pic)
    12th pic, remove the big nut on the primary shaft.
    13th pic, now its time to remove this plate that's sandwiched between the gearbox housing and the rear cover we removed in the beginning of the job. We tried various method including the one showing in this pic. We feared that the plate-to-plate surface would be damaged if we use pry bars etc, but that's what finally worked. phew.... 2 pry bars used, but not pictured
    14th pic, now this plate is off. there are 2 bearings in those 2 holes and one of them would easily come off and the other one is still stuck in there.
    15th pic, the back of the plate (facing the gear sets inside the gearbox) , the black round thing is the gearbox oil pump
    16th pic, now it reveals what's inside. ha
    17th pic, On the other side of the gearbox, I see lots of shaves around the magnet area ( the magnet is the oil drain plug viewing from inside). Pay attention to the bronze tube as it is removed in the next pics.
    18th pic, now need to work from the other side, there's a bunch of bolts that need to be removed. You need to remove the differential to see this, which we've already done.
    19th pic, bolts removed. Also removed is a little oil tube we mentioned earlier. I am guessing it is a oil return tube. but im not sure. The primary shaft's clutch side half has to be removed first. It is a simple spline connection. We used a hammer. I am sure there are better tools/ways to do it, but heck i don't have it. If somebody knows what tool to use to extract the pilot bearing and the shaft it sits on, PLEASE, chime in!
    20th pic, primary shaft's clutch end removed ( is there a better , technical word for this shaft?). The pilot bearing is still stuck in there. I wonder how you can remove this bearing while doing a clutch job. I never did it. What tool to extract this bearing if you aren't going to open up the gearbox?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

E60 M5 likes this.
  2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

21st pic , now everything is off, its time to remove the whole gear sets and rods, we don't know how to do it properly, so we become cavemen and become crude.
    22nd pic, we also tried to pull from this side
    23rd pic, after some pain and suffering, we got them out.
    24th pic, and here's an empty case, on the bottom left, u see how the oil dipstick looks from the inside. eyes wide open, people.
    25th pic, zooming in a little bit.

The end. I guess the 360 gearbox is pretty much the same.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

E60 M5, LorenzoR and kes7u like this.
  3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Good work. Still interested in the offset dimension shown in your picture, post #15.
    Those new pics would suggest it's not that much?

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I am about to reply to him just now. So how do I measure it? Just a ball park?

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    What a cool thread

LARRYH likes this.
  6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

yea i agree, i been wanting to see how these come apart for quite awhile. I just wish it could have been me who found it for the experience. With that said im wandering about the E DIFF

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

now my questions are,

1nd pic, how to remove the sandwiched plate properly from this point? Pry bar the only way?
    2rd pic, how to disconnect this input shaft from the primary gearbox shaft properly without using a hammer skewed on it?
    3th pic, how to remove the whole gears assembly properly without having to use a hammer from the clutch side?
    4th pic, I see a slice of metal ring on this differential output shaft plate, is this a result of a damage or a part of the assembly? If so, what function does it serve?
    5th pic, how to pull out the pilot bearing from this side if I am not opening up the gearbox? what tool to use and where to buy it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

E60 M5 likes this.
  9. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Interesting thread pictures are worth a thousand words.!
    24000rpm is there any chance you can give drain plug diameter and thread pitch.?
    Thanks for sharing!

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

oh yea, that was easy. give me a few days

Flyingbrick242 likes this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I would take a die grinder and radius that down and call it a day. Mainly, you want to remove any stress risers. Depending on the contact patch for the gears, it shouldn't cause any major problems.

I just tore down and cleaned the gear box on my pickup truck and even after several hundred thousand miles, no damage like that. I would assume that damage is either from grinding the gears (or like a synchro not working correctly) and/or simply a failure in the grain structure of the metal.

Depending on how extensive of a rebuild you are doing here, have you considered having the gears Shot Peened and/or ISF polished (aka Rem finished)?

Ray

24000rpm likes this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It looks like you are pretty well versed with transmission stuff. As far as how to remove some of those shafts from the sandwich plate, good luck! That looks like not-a-fun-job haha :)

It's pretty interesting how the transaxle merges the gearbox and differential all into one there. I'm actually in the middle of rebuilding the 8" rear differential for my pickup truck. I wonder how you adjust the ring/pinion gear backlash on the Ferrari there?

I'm going to share a few YouTube videos that you might enjoy and/or other people might find helpful, insofar as understanding the overall operation of gearboxes in general. These are all videos I've bookmarked while working on my W58 Supra gearbox recently. You might really enjoy some of the videos and information from the "GearBoxVideo" YouTube guy there, as his videos are especially interesting to watch:

Interesting video showing how gears are shifted.

Tear down of a Nascar gearbox

Operation of synchros

Shows an F1 clutch at about 32:00 minutes

Covers gear Shot Peening and also ISF (isotropic super finishing) gear polishing by Rem Chem, etc.

LARRYH, kes7u, 24000rpm and 1 other person like this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the entire differential is shot, and a new differential is more expensive than a used gearbox

so I guess i'll leave the gearbox as is, maybe for future spare gears.

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What specifically is wrong with the differential?

Ray

15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

1. the ATF sealing surface(metal) is damaged. it can no longer hold ATF tight in there. it will leak.
    in fact when I opened the differential, it has ATF all over there

2. there are 2 roller bearings inside the differential , they are missing rollers or damaged, as pictured in previous posts.

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What about welding the housing shut where it's damaged? TIG welding aluminum isn't too difficult usually.

As far as the rollers, isn't that just a radial thrust bearing in there?

Ray

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Yea, it is a thrust bearing. the inside wall of the thrust bearing that are in contact with the shaft (very short and large diameter) are damaged

this is in charge of the differential lock so I don't think you can weld it. let me give you a pic

kes7u likes this.
  18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    So this is something to do with the LSD or is this the evquilfnt of side gear thrust washers in a normal differential?

You could always bypass the whole setup run a spool in there haha :)

Ray

19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yeh just ball park ruler measurement. Basically how much lower is the pinion centreline compared to the rear axle centreline. From your pics it doesn't look to be much?

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Flyingbrick242 likes this.
  21. evilruss

evilruss Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Rockford
    Great find for $50! Do you know any history on the transmission, was it just replaced or had it been sitting for awhile? Mostly curious to know at what mileage the Ediff failed?

22. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    24000 rpm for the update on thread diameter and thread pitch!!

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

wow, i am in hong kong now
    finally can see youtube videos. So the nascar gearbox is basically a gearset without synchronizers and kept the H pattern shift?

24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

correction: the bearing that misses a lot of roller are actually called needle bearings, those rollers are called needle rollers, as I recently learned by being able to view youtube the first time in months.

25. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Glad you were able to check out some of those videos. Pretty cool huh? That Gear Box Video guy on YouTube has a lot of great videos on his channel.

Ray

24000rpm likes this.