Luigi Chinetti Question (1977) | FerrariChat

Luigi Chinetti Question (1977)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jerome M., Dec 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerome M.

Jerome M. Rookie

Sep 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jerome Middione
    In 1977, it appears that Chinetti had 3 different U.S. store fronts. One in Greenwich, CT. One in Paoli, PA. One in Manhattan. My question is about the Chinetti Manhattan location.

In 1977, Wide World of Cars was also in Manhattan....about 1 mile from Chinetti. That strikes me as peculiar. Was Chinetti exiting Manhattan in 1977? Did he sell any Fcars in 1977 at his Manhattan location?

Thanks in advance,
    Jerry M.
    1977 308GTB

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

His Manhattan location in 1977 was a small showroom on the southeast corner of 58th street and 2nd Avenue. Yes he sold Fcars there - both new and preowned. Used to have some race cars there too! I lived in NYC back then and used to regularly go to that showroom. As an aside Carriage House Motor Cars had their large Rolls Royce & Bentley showroom on the same block... corner of 57th street.

Also, at that time there was the bad boy of Ferrari dealers in NYC... Steven Kessler Motor Cars on east 34th street. It took Ferrari awhile, but they finally pulled the dealership from him a number of years later.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Jerome M.

Jerome M. Rookie

Sep 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jerome Middione
    I have every reason to believe that my 308GTB was originally sold in 1977 by a Manhattan dealer. It has an expensive Blaupunkt Berlin radio in it which I imagine was installed by the original dealer. So...were there 3 dealers in Manhattan in 1977? Chinetti? Wide World of Cars? Kessler? Did all 3 have Service Departments capable of installing the Blaupunkt? I'm trying to come to some logical conclusion as to who the original dealer was. I wish my car could talk. :)

Jerry M.
    1977 308GTB S/N 21833
    Red/Black