Lurkers -- come out and play | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Lurkers -- come out and play

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bhuta

bhuta Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    I have posted here before but not much. Mostly surrounding the death of another member "benlj." But I am always reading and looking to see what everyone is saying. My name is Dave Bhuta now living in Pasadena CA.

2. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    I've been lurking / posting occassionally for awhile now. My name is Andrew, I currently live in southwest Virginia and am studying hard at Virginia Tech. I obviously don't own any FCars right now, but I love fast cars and all things related to them, and who does them better than Ferrari?

3. SJoeMoe

SJoeMoe Rookie

Jun 30, 2004
    I just saw the "please post". I have been a lurker here for a while.

While I do not yet have a Ferrari, I plan on owning one some time in the next 5-10 years. I am currently 30 years old, and am a VP of a technology company in Canada. I have a few other things to do with my money right now (such as pay off my house).

I have been interested in Ferrari ever since the Testarossa came out. I recently got back from Italy (where unfortunately I was not able to visit Monza) and managed to stop at the Ferrari Store in Rome (spending a mere 1200 Euros on memorabelia which I had to lug around for the next week and a half).

I would have to say my first Ferrari would be a F355 TS. Somewhat affordable, and a great looking car. Hopefully I would be able to migrate to the V8 that will be the current model of the time (Currently the 430 looks rather sweet). My color of choice would be yellow, but silver would do if I cannot find one. I will opt for F1 shifting if I can... Row your own is going out of style :).

I currently own a 2006 Audi S4 (only 3 years left of payments... almost the same cost as my mortgage!), and a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. I am thinking of buying a Lotus Elise (Yellow or Orange). I think that would be a great interim Summer car until I can get the 355.

See you around.

4. chiro007

chiro007 Karting

Feb 2, 2006
    Stowe, Vermont
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Hi Everyone:
    Two weeks ago today I left my house in Stowe Vermont @ 4:30am and drove 2.5 hours to Manchester New Hampshire airport, flew to Chicago, changed planes, flew to Kansas City, then drove 45 minutes to Kansas to look at a 1988.5 328GTS, red/magnolia, red carpets........returned that same day. The effort was well worth it. I've been looking for about 2 years for a Ferrari. The car was mint, the owner a great guy and we closed the deal........It arrives tomorrow!!!!! Now living in Vermont it will sit in my garage for about 2 months but that's O.K. I can look at it, smell the leather feel its curves and listen to the music coming out of the tail pipes (at least at low rpm's...) I turned 50 last May and my mantra has been "Ferrari At 50".
    Woke up at 4:45am, am writing this at 5:10am because I can't sleep. To excited.......
    Looking foward to being an active member here and joining FCA.
    What do they say, LIFE BEGINS AT 50????!!!!!!
    Bradley

5. TheDamned

TheDamned Rookie

Jun 6, 2005
    I just love to read the board here but don't post that much.
    I'm 21 yo, currently studying in CSE Electronic engineering.
    Pardon my english we only speak french in my area.

I'm from Montreal, Québec, Canada so we have 7 months winter here.
    My summer car is a modded Black Mustang GT 1995.
    This is my first car and I live in a pretty poor area so i'm all flashy with the Mustang in the summer, I couldn't imagine drivin' a Ferrari... During winter I drive a POS Pontiac rusted LeMans 1992. Just want to say this looks like a great board and I always laugh at some of your threads, you guys are cool!

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This is a great thread... Congratulations to all of you who have recently purchased a Ferrari and good luck to those of you who are currently hunting... But stop lurking...! Come out and say hello, find a thread, jump in and get that post count going... :)

7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    :) Hilarious... it's all the lurkers are finally breaking down; this thread is your guys' FA (Ferrarholic Anonymous)! You all are introducing yourselves and telling us about your connection with Ferrari. The posters on the other hand, are the guys who have realized the problem... but aren't facing the facts.

Roffle.
    Roffle Waffle.

Joe

8. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    I can't wait to see that car!

9. SRT-10

SRT-10 Rookie

Dec 16, 2003
    Greater Boston
    Ok, I’ll admit it, I’ve been lurking for about 30 minutes now. Actually, I’ve been a member of the forum since Dec. 2003, but only drop by every couple months or so. My friends are all American car buffs, so I typically sneak over here when no one is looking. One of these days I need to come out of the closet and admit my infatuation for another nameplate, not American.

Recently sold my 2nd Viper and moved into a supercharged Cadillac XLR-V. Saw the car out at the LA Auto show and had to have one. It’s not a Ferrari but it’s almost red. :)

10. rockdad

rockdad Karting

Jan 3, 2006
    OC, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #260 rockdad, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm Mike. I live in OC, California. Bought my first Ferrari in 1974 from Charlie Hayes' Salon Ferrari, a 1973 1/2 246 GTS w/chairs and flares. $17,500 for a red one with about 2800 miles on it. Someone bought it for his wife who was waiting for her Rolls Royce to come in, she hated it, didn't like shifting. At least she didn't wreck the synchros! I had my own engineering business and started working on my own cars after getting screwed by Newport Imports of Newport Beach. They are defunct these days but they sold a lot of nice cars over the years. My beef was with their repair people (won't get into it here).
    I have worked with a lot of interesting car people. Zora Arkus Duntov and I worked for John DeLorean. We tried to flip the DMC over to see if we could get out (the DMC has gullwing doors) but couldn't flip it, too low a CG. I engineered and installed the first twin turbos for street DMCs, wow, very fast.
    I have lots of old photos of the Long Beach Grand Prix, mostly closeups of Niki Lauda's F1 car. I will post them one of these days after I transfer them from slides to digital.
    I'm in the market for a Mondial T right now, I'm building a large garage for my cars on my property in AZ.
    I put fuel injection and nitrous oxide injection under the carbs of a Daytona Spyder once, (see photo, red fittings are fuel, blue fittings are nitrous). I fabricated the air horns myself, along with the injection plates under the carbs. I think you will agree it looks a lot nicer than the stock airbox that covers all those beautiful Webers. The engine pegged the chassis dyno at 400+ HP up in LA, without even activating the injection systems! Hollow cams from Maranello helped with the HP figure. I'll post more photos someday, I have before and after shots of the engine rebuild.
    I like Lambo Miuras too, a friend has the third one built (orange) and I have worked on that.
    I guess I have kind of a Ferrari obsession, but it's the benign type, not the all-consuming disease that wrecks marriages and drives people to drink.
    This is a great website, I like reading about people who restore old Ferraris. Keep up the good work, I will stop in occasionally with photos you will like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Randy Harris

Randy Harris Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    R.C. Harris
    I'm a total lurker. I've spent much of the past two days reading the hilarious thread on the crashed Enzo. What an unbelievably sad ending to such a magnificent piece of machinery.

Anyway, my name is Randy. I'm a 55 yr old semi-retired apparel industry guy. My home is in the San Francisco Bay Area. I collect/restore old Brit sportscars. Currently my garage contains a '66 Austin Healey BJ8 and a '68 E-Type roadster - both in strong #2 condition.

For the last couple years I've been searching on and off for a #2 cond. Dino. Unfortunately, prices keep climbing and I can't seem to find the right car. I've lost two on eBay. I have a line on a '68 Mas. Ghibli Coupe but really would love to own a Dino. I've also got a hardon for a 512BBi but there just aren't many out there and they're a handful ($$$) when it comes to maint.

This is a wonderful forum. Learning a lot!

12. rockdad

rockdad Karting

Jan 3, 2006
    OC, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Randy, E types are cool, though somewhat expensive to restore. Forget the Ghibli, parts for it are 3X as expensive as Ferrari parts. I had one in my garage here in Silverado for a couple of years, engine out. Some prior owner put the wrong heads on it and I was working on the restoration. UPS managed to crunch one of only two Ghibli stock exhaust systems in the US and they had to buy the other one for me - what a hassle! Took months. I have shied away from UPS ever since. Of course that's another thread - UPS horror stories.
    I, too, am a big admirer of the 512 BBi, I recommend get one, it won't be any more expensive than the Dino. I bought a 246 GTS in '74 because the Boxer was in the factory brochures but I couldn't get one. ~sigh~

Mike

13. Bella Macchina

Feb 25, 2006
    Naples, Fl / Canada
    Full Name:
    Al
    Haven't been a member for long, but this is my first post. I am 49 and live in Ontario, Canada. I am an owner...1st was a 308Qv and currently have a 99' 355 Spider. Looking forward to a 430 in the future.

I truely enjoy this board. I find it both entertaining and educational as I find great information in the technical threads on various "Ferrari" issues. Once you've owned or have driven a Ferrari you then understand why there is no other car like them. Makes me proud to be Italian.

Just wanted to say hello and looking forward to future posts.....

Ciao

14. ilitig8

ilitig8 Rookie

Mar 6, 2006
    Long time lurker, recent registration and first post.

I am 38 live in South Carolina.

I have been a fan of the little race team from Maranello since the time of Nikki and Clay and the 312, I have counted myself part of the Tifosi with my blood running Rossa Corsa every day of that time. I have seen 34 F1 races live at 13 tracks from Suzuka to the "Magic Track". I have seen 23 Ferrari victories, 4 Ferrari 1-2s and until Spa last year had never seen Michael not finish on the top of the podium in person while sporting the prancing pony. Though I didn't always agree with him I respected the old man and gained a lust for his road cars.

I left graduate school with the promise to myself that I would one day own a mid-engine Ferrari and further I would only own it when I could pay cash. It seemed such a simple procedure at that time, just pack 10K back a year and in 10 years I could walk in and walk out with my "baby" Ferrari. Since that time a terrible thing intervened... LIFE. Family, vacations (F1 races too), a string of pedestrian autos (with lackluster names like M3 and Carrera), retirement and the other mundane trappings of middle class life. I have finally decided that chasing the newest MR Ferrari has come to an end, I am just not going to catch it (as prices explode) and thus have decided to set my sights on a 360. I, like a lot of others, are waiting for that "price drop" and will then be serching for MY coupe with three pedals under the instrument panel! I suppose I am still 2-3 years away but I am good at delayed satisfaction and look forward until the hunt can begin and anticipate the day my horse gets parked in my stable.

Sorry I have a habit of long posts but you are in luck it is time to fire up the home theater since the first (US televised) practice of F1 season starts in 5 minutes. Long gone are the angry V12s but alas time moves on and 20000 RPM is always good, even from a V8 2.4!

Forza Ferrari!!!

Vandy

PS I hope more lurking and maybe some more posting here will quell that 997 GT3 bug that keeps biting me on the ankle, is there a spray or something you can use to kill it?

15. r6blacky

r6blacky Rookie

Nov 13, 2004
    Hey guys,

I have been lurking for a couple of years. I really love my Ferrari's, so much so that I have got my godson into Ferrari over and above his parents love for McClaren,

My lovely wife bought me the best enganement present ever, a trackday where i got to drive an F355 around thruxton in the uk. The day that i got given the present i actually cried at the thought of actually driving a Ferrari.

I can't afford to buy a ferrari, but i still need speed, hence I got a bike licence and am currently misbehaving on a Yamaha R6

All the best

Chris

16. GoFast Guido

GoFast Guido Rookie

Mar 14, 2006
    U.S. Virginia
    Hi, my name is Ryan. I am new here as of yesterday. I am 19, and don't own a single ferrari as of this moment, but intend on experiencing the ownership of many through my lifetime. Just like many of the members on this site, I am addicted to all things ferrari, I find the company's history, cars, and all other aspects to be fascinating. The first time I ever saw a ferrari in person at a very young age was when I knew that I would become a car nut and more so a ferrari nut.

Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to many a discussion about ferrari.

17. 84 alfa romeo spider

Dec 12, 2005
    as you can tell, i own an 1984 alfa romeo spider, i came here at first looking for some ferrari parts, manly the 308/328 tail lights, one of you members sold me a set for my alfa romeo, you might ask why? years ago i saw an alfa romeo spider with the ferrari tail lights on it, it looks much better on the car than the org. tail lights.i am in the prosses of re-building my alfa romeo now, i have done some mods. as for the front brakes, i have vented disk with 4 piston alum. calipers, i am thinking about putting the vented disk on the rear, but for right now just a thouhgt. on the rear i have sold (alfa) disks on it now, but i changed the calipers to 2 piston alum. calipers also,one reason is to light up the unsprung weight, also look really cool at the next alfa romeo meet, with my 205/50/16 tryes, and wheels. i have also up-rated my intake cam from 9.5 mm to 11 mm, found out the hare dway that having 11 mm cams on both sides acct. reduce the cars perfomance, stayed with stock exhaust, and 11 mm intake, mush better responce.the car is going to be painted met. ruby red soon, thought about ferrai red, but i think is might be to red....i ma also redoing my dash, as it has cracks in it , like all alfa romeo dashs,my freind who is an italian leater craftsman it makeing i custiom fit dash cover for the car,in german vinel, i am useing a pattern that i saw on a ferrari a few years ago, the dash cover, was stock , but all the sepert panels where stictched togeater with red thread, nice highlights...also recardo seats in the car. if this is too long sorry, i don't have a ferrari yet, but i am looking to get a mondial droptop, in a few years, i was an audi tech for 12 years untill i got parkensons, now i sell cars, nice job, keep cleen, were nice chothes.

18. RedWill

RedWill Rookie

Feb 26, 2006
    S. CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    I just wanted to say thank you. The atmosphere is great and the comaraderie here for everything Ferrari is fantastic. I particularly enjoy the attitude that Ferrari ownership is not a criteria for posting or for lurking.

Also, I've never encountered such a mixed group who provide such great help and advice, especially in the Business/Investments section. The more experienced members are definately a great motivator for those of us who are working hard towards ownership.

The photographs are envigorating, and the humor here is a riot.

Thanks again!

Will.

19. boy2man

boy2man Karting

Jan 30, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    New lurker here as well. I'm a 22-year old college graduate (UC San Diego) who works in public relations, but has aspirations of being a songwriter one day. My college roommate originally got me into the exotics (he is a Porsche man first and foremost) but what really did it for me was interning for a couple of record producers in Hollywood. I would pull into the parking garage everyday to see my boss' 2004 360 Spider in Rosso Corsa and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I love the 360's styling more than the F430, but you cannot argue with the performance, so my dream car is a F430 Coupe in Grigio Silverstone. I've spent a lot of time gawking at Ferrari of San Diego, Symbolic Motors, Sports Car Company, Silicon Valley Auto Group (when visiting my parents) and am looking forward to my first ride in a Ferrari very much. I must attend Crystal Cove soon!

I think this forum is an incredible resource and I plan on being involved with it long after I buy my first F-car!

20. fantom1

fantom1 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm 23, and a recovering lurker. I drive an older M3, and have loved Ferrari's (particularly the 348) since I was very little. I'm looking for a job as I'm finished with school in 1 month, so if you know of anything interesting in SoCal, let me know. Someday I'll own one. Until then, keep my vicarious drives alive :) .

21. GabeH

GabeH Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI, US
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    Hello,

I come here looking to learn. I currently own an '05 BMW 330i ZHP:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have always been a fan of Ferarris, and I am now seeing that 348's and 355's are starting to become affordable for a guy like me. Or at least that is how it appears on the face. I have many questions regarding the total cost of ownership, reliability, parts, etc. I am also curious as to what the best option for financing a 15 year old car in that price range is. In any event, these are just a few of the questions I hope to answer while searching the archieves here at F-Chat.

(I'm also forced to wonder if anyone other than the n00bs read this theard) ;)

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Sure we do. Welcome!

23. 6spdHorse

6spdHorse Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2006
    IM LOCATED IN TORONTO,ONTARIO,CANADA.IM LOOKING FOR A GROUP OF GUYS TO DO SOME CRUISING WITH.I OWN A 1991 FERRARI 348 TS.WHERE ARE THE BOYS WITH THE TOYS!

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Welcome, guys! It's great to see enthusiastic new people around.

25. bleedblack430

bleedblack430 Rookie

Feb 1, 2006
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyer
    Not a total lurker, but I'am new to this Forum, My Name is Matt most of you meet me at the ferrari challenge event, I work for the collection as a ferrari/maserati technician and have been addicted to ferraris since birth and I'am currently working on getting my first ferrari. eventually. . .