Lusso battery replacement tips needed please | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lusso battery replacement tips needed please

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Il Co-Pilota, Oct 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I spoke with antigravity this morning, they told me 80Ah on H6 is not possible due to the size, they will doing H7 and H8 only for the 80AH, they made 20 of them to test water, and it’s sold out already. If I’m not happy with Braille AGM I just installed, I might get an extra 80Ah H8 antigravity Li.

2. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    If a lithium, rather than AGM, battery is used for replacement, is the drain tube necessary?

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't know the status of the battery in the US. I'm in contact with Antigravity UK.

I think you will be more than happy with your Braille though. Best AGM with a very long way down to number 2. So pissed that the European Braille importer has stopped importing Braille AGM batteries.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No there is no vent tube. Lithium batteries do not need a vent tube as there's nothing to vent. They don't create gasses like lead acid batteries do.

5. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I’m happy with my 60Ah on my speciale, just want the extra juice.

6. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    There’s no vent tube on my OEM lusso battery and Braille AGM.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nah. Put that sucker on a diet:D What you want is the HRE R101 Light lightweight wheels and the 24Ah battery version;)

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's the thing. Is your car a HELE car? I don't recall seeing a vent tube on mine either. Don't recall seeing one on the FF a few years ago. Could someone with a Lusso please snap a pic of this vent tube up close? Sounds like Ferrari has used a few different batteries for OE.

9. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yea my car is 2017 with HELE, no vent tube at all

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Same. No vent tube.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Most modern AGM's don't have a vent tube as they are sealed. However, the OE Lusso battery is a wet acid battery. That being said, not all lead acid batteries have provisions for vent tubes. Additionally I see no need for a vent in a Lusso as the battery is not mounted in the cabin. A 458 needs a vent tube if it has a classic wet battery, but since it comes with a FLAMM AGM, it comes with a sealed battery.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I had a roll of it from a commercial parts supplier when I installed my hot water heater. As far as the vent tube, its not attached to the battery. It is attached to the fitting of the thermal blanket and exits out the bottom of the car through a hole in the under panel. Not a battery item.

13. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    i didnt see a vent tube when i changed my original Ferrari/Fiam AGM battery

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    See that's your problem right there, you installed a "hot water heater". Hot water doesn't need heating, you should have installed a cold water heater! :D

350MH83 likes this.
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, it'll be a piece of cake if that trim piece comes off. Is it easy to take off? Does it need major disassembly? Would you mind sharing a few tips on how to take it off?

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes. I own an F12 so showing what I replaced. Others have posted the Lusso has the same fitting on the heat shield so should use the same pipe. Most likely fits for FF, Lusso, TDF, 812, etc. I like using the OEM configurations on a Ferrari.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My Lusso does not have that tube in its OE configuration, so not entirely sure what you mean by that latter remark. OEM configuration for a Lusso seems to not have a breather.

You answered Bruno787's comment where he also stated that there was no breather tube in his Lusso. Kimwizzzuuu does not have a breather in his either. Read though the thread again, and I can't see where anyone mentions a breather tube in a Lusso. I have not changed a battery in an F12, but I have in the FF and the Lusso is coming up, and I did not encounter a breather tube in the FF, and the other day I checked ithe Lusso and nothing.

Here's the drawing for the FF. No breather.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Guys, have any of you seen a breather like the one found on the F12 in a Lusso?

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I am aware that the drawing you posted does not depict the item. Done lots of research on this in the past few years.

Here's my completed assembly:

400mm long high temp and abrasion resistant pipe exits out the bottom cover through the prescribed opening:

otakki likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Right, so tomorrow will be the day when life finally stop getting in the way, and the Lusso will get the battery transplant.

I will keep you all posted as promised, and do my best to document the process. I will start a new thread dedicated to this, so it can easily be found by others in the future. Thanks to those with the good inputs, especially @kimwizzzuuu who have taken the time to explain a few things to me in detail.

See you on the other side gang:)

22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Will you be doing an Antigravity?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed I will:)

24. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Good luck! The Braille I installed is good, car sat for 2 weeks, start right up no hesitation at all.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B