Lusso v.s. sn 275 gtb | FerrariChat

Lusso v.s. sn 275 gtb

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by barronj, May 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barronj

barronj Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    Maybe this has been discussed before but does anyone have ownership experience or driving views on the 250 lusso v.s. the 275 gtb short nose ? I have recently driven both and actually thought the lusso handled a bit better, which suprised me, but I don't know if it was just a better set up example than the 275?

Thanks

2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi, have driven a 275GTB shortnose and and several 250's but not a Lusso.

My experience the 275GTB is a better drive, better road manners and superior handeling. But there is nothing wrong with a well set-up 250!

Which would make sense:
    * better weight distribution with the 275gtb having a transaxel
    * independent rear suspension ie double wishbone setup and floating driveshaft versus fixed rear axel

Mark

3. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Not to hijack the thread but the dialogue reminded me of something.

On a recent episode of Chasing Classic Cars, they auctioned off a Lusso. I could have sworn that Wayne Carrini indicated the Lusso had independant rear suspenion. I kind of raised my eyebrows thinking that ... huh???

Not sure if I misheard, if Wayne mis-spoke, or if there are any Lusso's with IRS?

4. per904

per904 Karting

Feb 28, 2009
    switzerland
    Hello Jay,

No. The Lusso has no IRS!...But a Watt linkage and in addition to the leafspring an helicoidal spring around the rear shockabsorber.

Raymond

5. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Raymond-

yes I know- my Lusso has the standard solid axle as does everyone I have seen BUT Mr. Carrini seem too well informed to have made that error so it got me wondering if there were any special cases.

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Maybe I AM a dinosaur, but I prefer the Lusso (and I have had several examples of each). The Lusso gearbox is very direct, while the GTB's is "notchy", for lack of a better word. In terms of handling, the Lusso, while a bit nose-heavy, seems very connected to the road. The GTB, on the other hand, feels somewhat goosey to me. I was never a race driver, so I am not talking about ultimate adhesion to the road, but merely spirited driving. One additional comment: GTBs are very sensitive to mis-matched rear tires, which will result in "throttle-steer" which can be quite disconcerting.

7. Atombender

Atombender Karting

Apr 6, 2012
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I find it interesting that they still kept the live rear axle for the 365 Cali and only switched to IRS for the 365 GT 2+2 one year later.

8. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    scribed because these cars are great and I'd like to know more.....but if I may add.

This thread is useless without pictures of said cars. :)

9. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    These discussions are helped immensely when you define your personal interpretation of "handling." Cornering grip, high speed stability, ride quality, etc. Everyone's definition is different and similar vehicles frequently serve different tastes or attributes.

10. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree with Ed Niles, his comments reflect my own as I currently own both models and drive them both. The Lusso is the best of the older technology, and the 275 is the beginning of the later technology. Both have their place in history and both are great to drive. Jim

-K1- likes this.
  11. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I personally never thought the lusso was very nice to drive. Slightly weird seating position, a long reach to the gearbox, antiquated suspension for the period, really felt like the best of the 50s cars, carried into the 60s. It was great to look at, however- perhaps the prettiest coupe made by Ferrari IMHO

12. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Any more thoughts on this?

I have been thinking about a 275, but having had one before, am more drawn visually to a Lasso, but I have another 250 series.

Hmmm...

Keep up the comments!

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow! Talk about problems. I have never driven a 275 or a Lusso. But I remember when you couldn't give a Lusso away. A 275 is a full-on sports car. A Lusso is what you had to buy so Enzo would sell you a 275. :)

14. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    We had a Lusso and an alloy 275 GTB in the family for forty years so I have had plenty of seat time in both. While I would say that the 275 is a more modern feeling and better handling car than the Lusso, I always felt that the Lusso provided a more elegant driving experience - visibility is far better in the Lusso creating a more relaxed drive. You are more encouraged to push the GTB since its handing is more precise and it is quite a bit quicker. I always felt that they sounded different as well. The 275 howls and the Lusso barks.

15. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Great feedback.

So your preference is the Lusso over the GTB, all factors considered?

To take out on a back road?

I have driven the GTB but not the Lusso and worry about he weight balance forward.

16. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Without question the GTB is the better car for back road driving. Personally I find them to be a near toss up in desirability. Both are beautiful but I find the Lusso exterior and interior to be just a bit prettier and more unique (I am referring to the long nose GTB as the short nose has never really floated my boat).

17. DonMicheletti

DonMicheletti Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Don Micheletti
    You have to look out for the driveline problems on the early short nose GTB's. They can be an alignment nightmare.
    I think the Lusso is more of a GT, while the GTB is more of a sportscar. Very "mechanical".

18. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I had a torque tube 275 so never experienced the driveshaft of earlier ones.

On a short nose can a top shop like Patrick Ottis align them so it's not an issue or is it always going to be a problem?

What premium would you put on an alloy 275?

19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #19 miurasv, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Some people don't like the central rev counter and speedo of the Lusso. Some people do.

20. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    ^^ I have some trouble with that myself actually.

21. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    [QUOTE
    What premium would you put on an alloy 275?[/QUOTE]

VS a standard LN 275 GTB I would guess 400-800k Perhaps even more but I am biased...:)

Ciao
    Oscar

22. DonMicheletti

DonMicheletti Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Don Micheletti
    I believe that the driveline set up on the earlly 275's is poor. The engine mounts have adjustments. the transaxle is on adjustable rubber mounts and the center bearing is on adjustable rubber mounts. All that stuff is connected by a solid driveline that has rigid couplings on both ends.
    I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully kept the driveline in alignment for an extended period of time and use. I never could.
    The later cars were much better.

23. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi,
    Mine is intermediate (just before the torque tube came in) and as the alignment is ok, no issues. And I have the car some 14 years.....

At the time I bought it I also considered a Lusso and actually loved the dash. A 275 drives much better though. I drove the Lusso through a lot of traffic in London and that on its own was quite an experience....

Ciao
    Oscar

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think its a tough choice. I could make arguments on all sides. All things being equal, I come down on which one you think is better looking. I give the edge to the 250 GT Lusso.

For me the things that count are the really elegant looks, the first production Ferrari with a Kamm tail, the first time Ferrari split their production between road and race (250 GTO) and yet many people took the 250 GT Lusso racing and enjoyed some success, and finally the last of the historic 250 series.

However, I wouldn't argue if you said you like the 275 better.

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson