M-Benz 300SL GullWing | FerrariChat

M-Benz 300SL GullWing

Discussion in 'Other German' started by tbakowsky, Nov 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Question for you guys

I recived a call from a shop the next city over from were I am. They have a 300SL GullWing Benz in the shop (Owners car or owners friends car..whatever it don't matter)

Anyway...They drain the oil form the engine sump..but can't figure out how to drain it from the oil tank. I said I would try and find out for them. I have only ever worked on one..and that was to change a tire and fix a few electrical grimlins. Never anything mechanical.

My question to you guys..Do any of you know how to drain the oil tank on this car? Do you have to remove one of the lines to drain it? Also during the start up..I assume like anyother drysump car the oil will get drawen into the engine upon start up.

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    still looking but have noticed that the oil capacity is up around 16qts, good for cooling but hard to warm up for city driving.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks alot for your help. The car may be comming my way to sort this out. I will start making calls and searching the web.

Turns out they also stripped out a sparkplug hole aswell (YIKES) so I may have to get in deep with this thing.