Mac ad blocker? | FerrariChat

Mac ad blocker?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cptndon, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Just replaced the hard drive in my 7 year old iMac. The ad blocker that was there is gone.

I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement.

Thanks

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
  4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Another solution is an ad blocker for your whole home network. Advantage is no ads on your smartphones when on the home wifi, also works if you VPN to the home network when using WiFi hotspots.
    I use something called Pi-Hole running on a Raspberry Pi - a tiny computer, size of a deck of cards, cost is pretty minimal. Small amount of setup needed but very easy.

TestShoot likes this.
  5. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    The Pi-hole/Raspberry pi setup sound interesting. Does it connect to your router then the other devices connect to it? My network has two desktops hardwired to the router then two to four laptops via wifi and two to six phones via wifi. Do you see any performance degradation on your network?

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The PiHole is plugged into the router and the address of the PiHole is put into the router as the first DNS server which routes all network traffic through the PiHole. I'm using a Pi 2 which doesn't do gigabit ethernet - actually none of the Pi models do true gigabit - something to do with the chipset I guess - and I honestly don't notice any degradation but I'm not a gamer. My son-in-law, who is a hard-core gamer, might claim some impact but I doubt he could actually measure it.

There are, of course, occasional sites that you will try to access and find that they are blocked by the Pi-Hole but you can add them to a whitelist or suspend the Pi-Hole temporarily from the web interface admin page.

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Learn to edit your hosts file. I have long lists of a lot of ad servers I just block from the get-go.

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    That's fine - as far as it goes - but nowhere near as convenient as ad-blockers where you can whitelist a site or temporarily disable the protection with a click or two. I believe in the belt and suspenders approach so I have a host file manager, a subscription to updated lists, several ad-blocking / tracker-blocking extensions AND the PiHole running.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    holy latency batman!

10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Non-issue.