Magic Epoxy Fix for Small Windshield Crack | FerrariChat

Magic Epoxy Fix for Small Windshield Crack

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dino, Sep 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    I've got a 1/2 inch crack in my 355 front window from a rock. My car wash (and other car shops) in San Diego advertise a "crack repair" which seems to use epoxy (or similar) to repair small windshield cracks to new for about $150.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on this type of repair?? If it works, seems it would be much better than an insurance claim and paying the deductable for a new windshield & labor, which I suspect is $2000 or more.....

regards-
    Dino

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I work at a car dealership and we use these services all the time on used car windshields. They work great. Most abrasions or small cracks they fix so well you can't even tell.
    Erik

3. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    My insurance company covered crack/chip repair gratis, yours probably will too as they're willing to gamble the $50 or so they spend on that against the expenditure of a new windshield.
    They said if I wasn't satisfied with that repair, then come back & get a new windshield.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Funny you should ask, I just had it done today. I had a small rock chip and before it became a problem, I had this same fix done. The tech, a woman, drilled through the top layer of glass, sucked out the air and replaced it with an epoxy injection. She said it would be good as new. You can still tell there was a chip as the missing glass is now epoxy but the chip is much smaller and hardly noticeable. However, mine was low on the passenger side. I would think if it is in your (drivers) line of sight it would be a problem.
    The procedure was reccommended by my dealer and seems like a great solution to an otherwise exspenvive problem. John

5. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    River-

What was the cost??

Dino

6. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I have had these done on my Dino, 360 and Suburban. The earlier you notice the crack the more invisible the repair will be. Even on fairly large starburst cracks like i had on the Dino (size of a quarter) the repair made it much less noticeable and maintains structural rigidity of glass. This is great because Dino windshields are impossible to find and cost a fortune. The 360 had 2 small dings i got to right away, and they are invisible unless you really know where to look. same with the truck.

My insurance (Hagerty) covered 100% and sent me the repair guys who did it in my driveway. They will still pay for a new windshield if i'm not happy with the results. Really can't go wrong. Key is to do it as soon as you get the ding so the cracks don't expand.

7. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I went with the home repair kit many years ago on my 300ZX windshield for less than $30. It was very easy and it couldn't be seen when done. I'm sure they have come a long way with the kits by now, but if your insurance will take care of it I would let them have at it.