News

Magneti Marelli GS0272 hood struts work perfectly for 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Always Irreverent Megan, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Amherst
    Looking for a less expensive way to replace the failing hood struts on my 612, I stumbled across these on ebay. They are for an Alfa Romeo 164 apparently. Manufactured by Magneti Marelli, they are only $21 plus $10 shipping for a pair. Installed them tonight. Perfect fit. And now my hood stays up!

Here's a link to the person selling these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-MM-Tailgate-Trunk-Gas-Shock-2x-Struts-Fits-ALFA-ROMEO-164-Sedan-60591762/122536768448?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    How did you know they would fit? I didn't see the length of them in the ad. Do the hoods for both cars weigh the same or was it not of concern? Thanks for your reply.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Good job! Be worth adding to the thread on alternative part listings. I’ve a few things to add to that too when I get a chance.

4. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Amherst
    I measured the struts that came with the car and noted that they said 500N on the side. Short for 500 Newtons, I'm assuming. I poured through the online Magneti Marelli catalog to find a strut that was approximately the same length and strength. These are almost exactly the same length and, at 480N, just 20 Newtons shy. So I bought them and they fit perfectly--and hold the hood up with good authority. :) When the hood is closed, there's still about an inch of travel available, too, so they aren't bottoming out or anything.

5. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Amherst
    I will look up that alternative part thread and see if I can add these to it. At $31 shipped, these are a steal! :)

6. Always Irreverent Megan

Sep 24, 2019
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Megan Amherst
    Also note that the "worn out" hood struts work great to then replace your tired trunk struts. And be sure to unthread the plastic ends off of the two tired trunk struts (before you toss them) to keep as spares. You never know when one of those plastic bits on one of your good struts is going to break. Don't ask me how I know. LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Megan thank you, good work. I am always impressed with the ingenuity of the folks on this site. Always some interesting information well worth my time spent here. I have set up a digital file of various tips and information I have collected here for my 612. I have found with my memory and even with searches it is difficult to find the info when I need it.