Magnum PI movie news | FerrariChat

Magnum PI movie news

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Thurber pulls Uni's trigger to 'Magnum'

24 January 2006 (The Hollywood Reporter)
    Rawson Marshall Thurber has signed on to write and direct the big-screen adaptation of Magnum P.I. for Universal Pictures. Brian Grazer will produce the feature via his Imagine Entertainment banner. Magnum P.I., the 1980-88 CBS series created by Glen Larson and Don Bellisario, followed the adventures of Thomas Magnum, a Navy intelligence officer-turned-private investigator hired by wealthy author and playboy Robin Masters to oversee security on the latter's massive Hawaii estate. Magnum lived in Masters' guest house and drove his Ferrari (the car would become one of the show's signatures), much to the chagrin of Jonathan Higgins III, a proper Englishman who ran the estate. Magnum also continued to take on cases in which he was aided and abetted by his Vietnam vet buddies, notably helicopter pilot T.C. and club manager Rick. The series made Tom Selleck a star and put Ferrari posters on the walls of teenage boys' bedrooms.

Affleck To Star as Magnum PI?

16 June 2006 (WENN)
    Producers of the big screen adaptation of cult TV show Magnum PI are keen to cast Ben Affleck as the famous Hawaiian private investigator. Charles Floyd Johnson, one of the producers of the original 1980s TV series, insists the Daredevil star would be perfect for the mustachioed role after Tom Selleck held out too long to reprise the part. Johnson hints Affleck would be his first choice to play the lead but, regardless of the final casting, he tells moviehole.net, "I think it will be wonderful. Unfortunately it won't star Tom. He was asked to do six or eight TV movies and at that time he really wanted to do it as a feature, so he held out on it and probably now they will consider him too old to do it." Johnson names hot Hollywood producer Brian Grazer as the man behind the movie adaptation.

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    My Take: No way can Affleck play Magnum.

Question: Will they still use a 308, or will the show be set in modern times and use something else? (F430?)

Birdman

3. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I thought I heard the part was going to George Clooney. A much better fit IMO.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll throw all my Ferrari stuff in the trash if Ben Affleck plays Magnum. Geezus..

5. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    definitely not suited for the part

6. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Yep he would be better

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Clooney's wry sense of humor is much better suited to the Magnum role than Ben Affleck.

But really, I'd rather see an old Selleck than anybody else in the role.

I can't visualize either one of those guys w/ a mustache anyway...!

As far as choice of car, my guess is they'll go with a 430 cab....

Greg

8. timtom

timtom Rookie

Jul 7, 2006
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I wish to buy a birdman's fuse board but web site won't let me and emails are not getting through. could he please contact me. Cheers

9. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Clooney's personality, style and sense of humor would be a much better match. I'd love him to drive a fully restored 308-328 or a 430 if they insist on a newer car.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Clooney's too refined/stylish. But Affleck would be awful.

But everyone here's going to pay full price to see this on the opening night anyway.

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike

When they did the Dukes of Hazard they redid the GENERAL LEE, and when they did Love Bug they reused HERBIE so I say they should reuse the 308 GTS for Magnum PI. What do you guys think?

12. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Yeah Affleck would completely suck as Magnum. Don't think I'd care to see Clooney play the part either. I am with the "revive Selleck" crowd on this one.

As for the car, don't forget that they also used the Torino for Starsky & Hutch, so yes I think the 308 should be the chariot of choice.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

13. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Bring Tom back with a 430 !!!!!!!!!!!!

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #14 PAP 348, Jul 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #15 PAP 348, Jul 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. wernerg

wernerg Karting

Jun 29, 2006
    Danville CA
    Full Name:
    Werner Goertz
    Clooney's not as tall as Selleck is - he could probably even fit in a stock 308!

17. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Wasn't he in Village people

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Awwwwww sh*t, he was too!! :( We are all doomed. :D

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Tom Selleck and the 308 were the two big "icons" of the show. My take on this is you have to retain ONE of those two icons. So this can go one of two possible ways:

If you keep Selleck for the part (as I think most of us would prefer) there is no getting around the fact that he is 60 years old and the movie would have to be set in the present, not the '80s, so it wouldn't make sense for him to still be driving a 308. He would have to be driving an F430.

If you replace Selleck with someone younger, losing Selleck as the star, you MUST keep the 308 as the other icon of the show, so it has to be set in the '80s and the new star must drive a 308.

So which do you like better, the 308 or Tom Selleck? (I have got to go with Tom Selleck. He IS Magnum to me. If they replace him, the movie will suck.) But retaining the 308 will probably dramatically increase interest in 308s and increase prices.

Birdman

20. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    WE as Fchatters want the 308!!!! Period. BUT...Hollywood and most every non-Ferrari educated spare only knows that he drove a Ferrari and not the model 308. So for that reason I think Hollywood will go with a Ferrari. Probably a 430 spider to get more screentime for the lead actor.

For my money I think Matthew McConaughey would make the best Magnum in a new film. He's a pretty good actor and he's got more of that laid back Hawaiian attitude about him.

21. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill

Most definitly Matthew McConaughey is the man for the job. Are any of the producers listening to us?

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats a good post Birdman. Right on the money. I have a feeling that they will use a younger guy, with a 308. Just as the Dukes and Starsky&Hutch remakes. Original car, younger actors. But......im sure we would all love Selleck to return. He could handle it just fine and driving the 308 would be great to see! :)

23. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Was just watching The Godfather III and thought what about Andy Garcia?

I'm having a helluva time trying to figure out who could possibly play Thomas Magnum better than Selleck!!!!

Cheers,
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

24. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Are they making the movie as a comedy? If so, how about Will Ferell? Or get real funky and go Will Smith. If it's Will Smith as Magnum, then T.C. could be played by Larry the Cable Guy and Higgins would be played by Ice Cube. Otherwise, ya gotta go Tom Selleck.

25. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't care who they choose just bring back the 308.