MAGNUM'S BACK IN A 308! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

MAGNUM'S BACK IN A 308!

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat326, May 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    I would notice it, believe me! ;-)

2. djohnson63

djohnson63 Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I'll watch it because I loved the original show and I have nothing better to do. :)

JLF likes this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, so far all he's proven is that one person (a sample size of "1") thought a 430 (which isn't a 308) was a Mustang (which isn't a Firebird). I'm sure there's probably someone out there that once mistook Rue Paul for a woman, but I'll not claim that 90% of people can't tell the difference between men and women.

Rosey and 308 milano like this.
  4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Must’ve been about 15 when a Black 78 GTB pulls up behind us kids on lunch break. Clearly remember I wasn’t sure what it was, but I knew it sure as hell wasn’t a Mustang.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Why not just watch the reruns of the original? It's on Sunday nights at 10 on COZI.

jferazzi and 308 milano like this.
  6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The last couple years that my 328 was in MD, it seemed that not many people paid any attention to it at all. But when I drove it from there to TX a couple of months ago, I was amazed. People on the interstate came up alongside to take a pic - one guy in a vette did it with his cell phone while driving - I wanted to say, "Thanks, but please don't do that while you are driving!" People would pass (I was following my wife who was driving a Budget rental truck, top speed 70 MPH) but slow down to our speed to look at the car. Every gas stop had people coming over to look at it. One family asked if I would take their pic standing in front of it. I got several "IT"S the MAGNUM CAR!" comments. I know some people find that annoying but I think it's cool. One guy stopped his truck and leaned out the window asking, "is that an '88 or an '89? A guy with two teenage sons asked if it was a new Ferrari. When I told them it was an '89, one of the kids said, "They should still make this one!"

So..clearly the cars are quite recognizable.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    :D Hmm...are you sure you're not in the audit business?

Rgds

thorn likes this.
  8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    True story: standing in line at the convenience store last winter, waiting for the world's most indecisive person in front of me decide which lottery scratch-off to waste $5 on. A much older AA couple (picture a couple of grandparents, dressed for church) walks up to the line behind me.

The older woman said, "Excuse me sir, that lovely car you have... may I ask you what it is?"
    I turned, smiled, and said "It's a Ferrari."
    She said "Mmhmmm... a Ferrari...." Turns to her husband and says, "I told you it was a Ferrari!"

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, it's, in a way, part of the folklore with these cars, isn't it?
    I mean, once you are yourself used to the car, something that comes after a few months, the effect of its uniqueness fades a bit. I'm still in love with the shape, and I still feel happy to have two, but for me the rarity and uniqueness has faded away somewhat.
    But not for most people, because these cars are still a very rare sight, and rather different of 98% of the rest of the automobile world.

I remember when I drove back my GTB from the southern part of France to its future lair in the North-east, when I bought her ten years ago; a 525 miles drive. Had to stop to fill her up, and as its was our first day, I was still not completly at ease with it; when I finished to tank her, an elderly, but very classy lady, came to me and said "Young man - I was 48...- I don't know anything about cars, but yours is the prettiest I have ever seen".
    That made my day.

Rgds

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They were a very rare dealer request on any 308....

None of my early cars had them

thorn likes this.
  11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Good to know - thanks for that info. :)

(i was thinking 'embossed' but typed 'stitched'. One of those need-more-coffee moments)

12. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I was in college in the early 80s living in a house with four other smelly guys with different schedules.

We used to have what we called M time at 3pm each day.

At 3 pm a local station would show re runs.

We sat around my 13 inch black and white tv with a coat hanger as antenna and drank beer each afternoon bitching about our day.

Best years of my life.

The old shows have too many memories for me to take a reboot seriously.

13. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    3pm was our version of 4:20. Hahah

Except it was Magnum @3 and 3 beers before going to work at some restaurant after classes in college.

Being a lawyer now, I plead the 5th as to whether we turned the clock ahead 1 hour and 20 minutes sometimes.

14. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, there is something good that has come out of this!

Adam72 and Rosey like this.
  16. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think it’s even a real car (Fiero or otherwise). Looks like CGI. They probably just had some green hunk of whatever for the truck to crash into and added the car digitally - and didn’t quite get all the details right.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I was thinking the same thing. Note how the roof panel (detached from the car) is moving away from the point of collision, instead of towards. Like backward inertia. This shot would be far easier and cost-effective with CGI anyway.

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I think you are right! CGI is much cheaper than actually employing real vehicles - MB trucks or (fake) 308's. Also, from what it looks like to me, there is NO roof on the car in the first still but in the second the roof is flying away. It's totally fake - I think the guy just jumped off a platform onto another platform in blue screen.

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That’s Hollywood!

20. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I think a lot of us would be turned off if they destroyed a real 308! Not even Hollywood is that stupid.

21. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    But, dudes...

Let’s not forget about the Lads

We old guys have memories.

Do not spoil it for us.

We are old guys who watched it on CBS in real time. Was that cbs or abc?

I am old folk. I used coat hanger for antenna to watch Magnum

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Of course, the makers of the series are interested in attracting young viewers who couldn't care less about some "old" TV show. So, in that regard, the new version, being "modern" would probably be much more appealing to the age group. We are perturbed when a 3x8 is damaged/destroyed; to them it's just another great crash/explosion/spectacle of the same sort where the hero outruns explosions and bullets fired at his car just make big sparks but can't penetrate. Luckily, the bad guys' cars are made of lesser quality stuff and they ignite/erupt nicely when hit with a round or two...;)

308 milano likes this.
  23. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm looking forward to this show. Let's hope it's a hit. The 308 needs a boost. It's one of the most iconic Ferraris ever made.

scudF1 likes this.
  24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    My impression from the trailer is that the 308 only appears in the trailer/pilot and is destroyed, to be replaced by a current car.

Rosey likes this.
  25. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I will watch the first episode but that's about it. On a good note... at least they included the 308 even on one episode without making fun of it or embarrassing it. That's somewhat positive.