Maintenance cost for a Ferrari 360? | FerrariChat

Maintenance cost for a Ferrari 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by porschecayennee, Apr 25, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porschecayennee

Apr 24, 2011
    Hello Guys
    I live in Canada & I'm currently in the market of a Ferrari 360 and I'm wondering what's the maintenance cost for owning one of these things? Will 2000-3000 each year be enough for maitenance?

Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A good start is to read the buyers guide at the top of this section and then try a search for 360 maintenance cost as I'd guess this has been asked before - if you need more specifics you could also ask in the geographic Canada section

3. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you will need a bit more. Every 3-5 years the 360's need a major service, also referred to as a belt service. The cost of a major can be more than $5K. If you factor in tires every 15kms, a clutch every (estimates vary) 30-50kms, maintenance costs can add up.

Use the search function, there have been a number of discussions on this topic.

The other issue you is where you are going to have your car serviced. I am in Ottawa, I take my car to Ferrari of Quebec in Montreal. Its a bit inconvenient but manageable.

If you have additional questions feel free to send me a PM.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I think you'll be fine. Will you do any work on your car yourself?

The 360 is actually a fairly reliable car, because it was designed to be... and uses many components similar to other reliable cars. I liken it to the 996.

If you want high end tires, to track it, every little nick attended to.. then perfection will cost you more. For a driver and generally good looking car I think you'll be fine.

There will be the respose.. "but be prepared for a 10-15k expense out of the blue!".. same as an engine failure in the 996 out of warranty. With the same frequency/probability.

5. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #5 Ky1e, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    In addition to whatever you calculate whether its $2K or $5K yr, yes... here it is...be prepared for the possibility of a $10-$15K bill should something unexpected happen (and imo u should b in a financial situation where that doesn't bother u). Many may not agree, but imo if u can pay cash (whether or not u do doesn't matter, as long as u could), not worry about the depreciation, reg maintenance or possible big hit, go for it. If any of those are a possible stresser, a turbo 911 (throw on an aftermarket exhaust) or similar may be a better choice. (note: I don't own but I stayed in a Holiday Inn... and read up on FChat)

6. porschecayennee

Apr 24, 2011
    No, I won't be working on the car myself, since I'm not a mechanically guy lol. Yes, I totally understand that, I need to be aware of the 10-15k in unexpect repairs of owning one. I just wanted to know, if the Ferrari 360 were as reliable as the Lamborghini Gallardo & the difference cost on maintenance between them.

Thanks for the reply guys!

7. porschecayennee

Apr 24, 2011
    If you don't mind me asking. How much does a clutch, belt service, brake & rotors cost service cost?

8. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't have first hand experience. Based on my conversations with the service manager at F of Q, the belt service is $7K'ish, a clutch about the same amount, maybe a bit more. Brake pads all around about $1K.

A someone else mentioned, tires can be pricey. Last year I replaced my rears after 13K kms. Cost of two tires was $1,300 installed.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As far as Gallardo I can't comment.

Just did the brakes and rotors on my own 360 these last two weekends. Rotors were 200$ US a piece (http://www.awautoparts.us), brake pads were $30-50 per axle (centric pads from Rockauto.com). So that's what $100 or so for pads, approx $800 for rotors and about 4-5 hours of my time. Def. under a grand for the brake job. Only issue I had was the brake pads were too thick outof the box and had to reduce them to fit perfect. Simple job but not as simple as my Boxster or 928 because of unique ebrake. Will post experience later tonight.

As far as Clutch.. haven't had experience with that but I expect 2500 to 3k dollars, I was quoted 2500 to 2700 for a major by my indy mechanic. Just put on 4 Hankook tires evo, for approx $650 to $700 including mounting.

Many people seem to like spending unnecessarily big bucks with these cars. I'm not one of them. Perfect repair does not need to equate to megabucks.

deportm likes this.
  10. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Just one small comment...Canadian prices tend to be higher than prices in the US.

Also, the prices I am quoting are applicable to an authorized Ferrari dealership.

11. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    #11 Testacojones, Apr 25, 2011
    Of course I don't know how much money you got to play with, but if you really have to ask about maintenance expenses, then probably you should ask about the possibilties of something major going wrong. If you can afford that then inquire about maintenance, which in reality is sort of easy on the pocket, unless one of those RARE things of something major breaks down.

My gallardo ran without any problems, but the 360 was more needy; the alarm wouldn't make sound activating, the clutch needs to be changed sooner than in a 6 speed manual, the A.C. ecu went bad $2,000 plus for part alone, the headlights get milky residue inside and water spots, the bumper broke where the air flows out in front of the tires for no reason, all these things within a year and in the end it was expensive for my liking. Gallardo was perfect.

12. porschecayennee

Apr 24, 2011
    The reason I ask about maintenance cost, because they're a lot of non exotic owners who tell you stories about maintenance being well over $20,000+. I just wanted to make sure before I jump into one. I don't mind spending about 2,000-3,000 just for minor maintenance and, if anything major need to be replacing, I hope 10-13K is enough.

Thanks for the input guys

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    20 grand a year! Ok, I'll do it for half that!

2 to 3 per year is a fine budget. If something breaks that's a different story. But, to just drive the car around and do the normal maintenance I think your budget seems reasonable.

14. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I think a lot depends on how often you drive the car, but I think 3-5k per year is a reasonable amount.

15. porschecayennee

Apr 24, 2011
    I remember a Ford sale rep came to my work and was driving a ferrari 360 that he was selling. I asked him how much does a maintenance run for one of these things. He said easily 20,000!

Thanks for the reply guys

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You got some good responses here and I would say they are pretty right. Your 2-3K is probably 3-5K depending on time frame and how you drive (not counting track use). When you look over a longer time you need to consider more than fluids and belts. You have to factor in clutch, rotors, bushings, etc.

Plus there were a lot of things redesigned over the years. Changing those "when you are in there" adds a lot to the total bill. That is the snowball rolling down the hill and it can cost you.

The part you write about "something major" is possibly a problem. It depends on what you call major but a couple of minor issues can run $10K and a "major" issue can be a LOT more. The 10-13K is probably not enough. Think 15-20K for something major. You don't have to like it, you just have to be able to pay it should something happen.

I suspect the excluding gas, tires, insurance, and depreciation it will cost you $1 per mile to drive the car.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Apr 25, 2011
    It also depends on how many miles you put on it and how long you keep it.

If you keep it for 10 years and spend 30 grand in ROUTINE maintanence over that period, that's a ton of money. I would expect a lot less. A lot less.

If you keep it for a couple of years and spend 6 grand on maintanence, that seems a little high but it's a good budget. If you go through clutches and tires like crazy, it's low. If you putter around on the weekends, it's high.

Either way it's not an unrealistic number.

I don't usually include tires in "routine maintanence" cost because it depends so much on how you drive it and what tires you buy. But, a set of tires alone can cost upwards of $2500 on these things.

And, to the Ford rep --- I hear BS like this all the time. It's just bragging.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Just had my inlaws from Cambridge,ON visiting us.. $1.05 USD to $1 CAD!

Get a qualified independent mechanic involved with your decision before you buy.. your wallet will appreciate it. :)

19. JS NZ

JS NZ Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2010
    Auckland, NZ
    Full Name:
    John
    It depends how you do it, if you go the a F dealer it will cost a lot more, a decent indy is just fine and will do anything for a lot less especially if you keep using them. They will look after you and charge you for actual hours done and work hard.
    My last replacement pads were OEM and cost a total of USD$700(incl labour) to install. I brought them from Ricambi.
    If a major mechanical fault occurs so what. See what it will cost you do get a new Range Rover engine or tranny, or a high end Merc. With 18,000 odd 360s it would be interesting to see how many engines/trannies have destructed and compare with other cars' failures.
    My last tyres were one of the ones recommended by the factory(some Bridgestones), they cost USD$1500 fitted.
    Little things can go wrong but normally it is nothing much. Clutch will cost a little and the belt, but really not bad at an indy. My indy does not fit the OEM clutch, he adds a carbon?(or was it kevlar I can't remember) coating to the plate which he says doubles clutch life. He is a European trained F mechanic set out on his own.
    Rotors, get the Girodisc rotors, you can keep the hat off them cutting costs a lot for future replacements.

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #20 arizonaitalian, Apr 25, 2011
    ...from 3 dealers (one indy and two F-car dealers)

Annual = $1200
    "Major" = annual + belt service = $3500 (don't ask me how they get $1200 for the annual + $1800 for the belts = $3500...somehow another $500 sneaks in there and I can't tell what its for...)
    Tires = you can look this up on the web...yor choice determines cost
    Clutch = $5,000 - $8000 (low cost is just the clutch, $8000 is for TO bearing and - I think - pressure plate)

I am figuring(this is just for estimating costs and is NOT to serve as any recommended or even perfectly expected service/replacement interval...simply to help me "budget" for these costs...may help others, may not!):

Regular service = $1200+1200+3500=~$6000 every three years = $2000 per year average
    Tires = $1800 every three years = $600 per year average
    Clutch = $6000 every six years (wild ass guess) = $1000 per year average
    Brake pads = $1000 every six years = $200 per year average
    Battery = every 3 years = $100 per year average

[obviously the clutch, tires and brake pad wear are not time dependant, rather mileage will drive this...I still assumed these intervals for my budget purposes fwiw]

Regular wear and tear items budget = ~$4000 per year. If one uses an Indy dealer perhaps its closer to $3000 (on that note I continue to see posts here with service costs that I can't even come close to matching/finding out here in AZ or in CA whether from indy or dealer)

Budget for something that breaks = ???? (pray that the F1 tranny, brake rotors (if CCB like a CS), engine, electronics, yada, yada, yada don't break, cause if they do they can be stupidly expensive...hope for luck!)

21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #21 arizonaitalian, Apr 25, 2011
    I have seen cummulative service records for 3 cars that I looked at buying that totalled over $25,000 spent in the first 6 years (they were for 2004 Ferrari's). [One of them was around $35,000. No major engine parts, just a ton of stuff that seemed to continually break/wear out and sadly a lot started to go wrong just after the warranty period. It was a 2004 575...heck, I've seen cars where the battery was replaced 6 times at a cost of over $2000 on that alone!]

I seem to recall seeing $15k service invoices (one visit to the dealer) on some older "engine out" cars...that is serious $$!

22. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    #22 mdwfa2001, Apr 25, 2011
    so far put in close to 15k in 11 months of ownership. trust me things will break down on a ferrari...even the very best ones...this is not including gas payments and other exp. I am estimating its costing me about $3-4 a gallon to run. I have couple other friends with 360, one of them is putting in 7k in the last two months alone...and this is not a major or even a minor service.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    $15k for ten yrs is $150k. That's about what trading in a 360 Spider would be today on a new Calif. And in ten years you will have a ten year old Cali while if you keep the 360 you will have a 20 year old classic. And IMVHO the 360 looks better and is a little more fun to drive.

So far my maint costs have been well below $5k per year until now. Time for a new clutch @6-8k and belts @2.5k. Still less than $15k.

We hope. :cool:

24. porschecayennee

Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks for the great replies guys!

25. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    what are they doing that is costing that much? for that kind of money I have to assume they are doing subjective, even cosmetic work, or something broke that is not the norm.