Maintenance Start Long Overdue | FerrariChat

Maintenance Start Long Overdue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Gialllo uno, Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well, just had my 2nd hip replaced.......today............and 5 hours later......Ferrari Chat it is! Going to do the maintenance on the car while I am out. What a great opportunity. My plans include the following ;
    1. Oil and Filter ,
    2. Fuel Filters ,
    3. Plugs,
    4. Antifreeze and hoses (can I get all off with engine in?,
    5. New Tubi muffler and cat delete pipes,
    6. New O2 sensors,
    7. Turning discs and putting on EBBC pads and new brake hoses,
    8. Change brake fluid and bleed,
    9. New thermostat ,
    10. Fix faulty headlights (currently stuck up)
    11. Fix reinstall radio,

Can you add anything else that why not just get it done, while I am recuperating ?

Thanks Mark

spiderscott and sixcarbs like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think the 02 sensors are hard to get these days but pretty good list!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please is/are hip?

air filters?
    lubricate or grease the the lock cylinders, also the locks and the hinges
    check tire pressure ( also spare wheel )
    check washing water for windscreen

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hip bedeutet lüfte mein freund

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you mean "hüfte", not lüfte
    I thaught this word would be a short cut for something - because never heard before, but was looking now in the tranlator because "lüfte" made no sense. so next time first I have a look in the translator :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think the slow electric windows are also on the list also.

Thanks guys. I ain't going back to work until it is done!!

Thanks Mark

7. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I used the EBC Red pads and have been OK with them. Not too much dusting and no noise.

I did my window motors last fall. Cleaning out and re-greasing really helped one side. The other side helped some but still slow. It is not a hard job but can be frustrating.

I am in the Columbia area if you need a second set of hands with anything.

I need to replace the heater valve in my TR as it developed a little drip late last year. I don't need hot coolant dumping on my wife's feet any time soon...

8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  9. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I apreciate it. I am in the Reisterstown area near Hunt Valley near Cal Ripkins old house. So speaking of Hot Wives!!

10. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I did not. I thought about it but just gave the clean out/regrease a try first. Those are easy enough to add now that I know the rest of the system is in good shape. It is on my list but a little further down than a few other things.

11. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I know the area pretty well. We looked at buying some land a little further north of that area but the commute down 83 and around 695 would make me kill someone - probably daily!

I am serious about the offer of help. I love working on these cars and meeting people of like mind.

12. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Basically just finished the oil change.....standing under lift with new hip......no walker or cane......didn't seem right to have any of those devices near the car if you get my drift......this ain't no 1975 Cadillac Eldorado ! Trans fluid tomorrow .

13. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I also took off the front spoiler / air duck, as I needed to reattach it after making it loose driving on my lift awhile back....don't ask yes I did it. I noticed that the Rubber Bellows #61491400, were broken and one missing. They are basically the air ducts for brake cooling, so while I want to fix them, obviously they are not critical. The only replacements I found were at ALGAR and Allferrrari Parts and were approximately $149 and $165 each, 2 are needed. Seems pricey with delivery etc. I am sure we are $325 to $350. I measured the existing broken one at approximately 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 x about 6 to 8 inches long. It is basically a square. Thought maybe a round flexible duct in black of 6 inches might be close fit once stretched etc. Any thoughts for a better solution? Thanks Mark

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    a round flexible duct works fine. also you may put the outlets nearer to the brakes

15. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was thinking that also. Thank You for reinforceing the idea. Romano on a separate note the plugs are .....how do I say..... really stuck. I have sprayed with a lubricant and can certainly wait. I know about tightning and loosing or rocking them a bit to break them loose. The thought of having an issue is ......very disheartening. Like I said, the car was deprived of maintenance and now I am the one who needs to catch up and save her!!! I am up for the task. Need to keep it going for the next generation etc. Thanks Mark

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you mean the spark plugs mark?
    best is to drive the car warm that the aluminum is really good warm. the aluminum expands in heat more than the material of the spark plugs and so normaly you may remove the spark plugs. good luck :)
    but don´t put new ones in before the engine is cooled down again

17. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Romano,
    I have read that and yes I meant the spark plugs. Thank You your advice is appreciated and valued. Thanks Mark

18. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So for the spark plugs I used a mix of 50 / 50 auto trans fluid and Acetone. I put it in a spray bottle and mixed up by shaking it and pulled all plug wires off. Squirted it in each Spark Plug Hole, which is messy, be prepared with a rag or paper towel, since the moter is a flat motor and not a V the fluid tends to run out of the hole. On a V it has the slight angle to help it stay in and work. This is the 1st time I used this mixture after watching several UTube vidios and testamonials etc. I have tried all the PB Blasters and Seafoam Deep Clean etc. which eventually seemed to work after weeks sometimes. I used this 50 / 50 mix yestereday at about 4 pm. I decided to try and see if I could get the plugs out this morning and started on plug number 6, passenger rear of car. Easiest to get to etc. I resisted the temptation to use a 1/2 inch rachet or breaker bar and went with a 3/8 inch with an extension. I used a thin wall 18 mm 12 point socket, as this was the only one that would fit. The first plug actually broke loose just as I was going to give up, as I did not want to use too much force. I went down the line and sure enough each plug came out with approximately the same amount of force and once broken free they came out easily, no back and forth motion was needed. They were NGK D8EA plugs and looked exstremely rich, which doesnt surprise me, as I knew it was running rich. Here is an overall picture of all plugs marked etc. Any comments on the richness is appreciated. Thanks Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Prova85 likes this.
  19. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Good deal on the 50/50 mix. Never tried it but only read positives about it. Yup those are some rich running looking plugs for sure. Kinda nasty looking. Suggest NGK Iridiums. Been running them for years. Compression check would be a good idea while the plugs are out.

20. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree 100%. The plugs in were a basic plug from NGK in the heat range 8, After going to NGK's website and doing some research on the plugs I saw that to put in a Hotter plug the number is lower, so a 7 would be hotter. I already had NGK 2316 DCPR9IEX IX Iridiums that I was going to put in, but they are colder, so today I ordered NGK 6546 DCPR8IEX IX Iridiums and also NGK 6046 DCPR7IEX IX Iridiums. I wanted the stock heat range and also one hotter. Rock Auto had a great price, actually better than anyone else at $5.61 a plug. I do think a compression test is in order. I will look up the numbers in the WSM and see where they should be approximately. I would assume 130 ish., but will look it up. Thanks Mark

21. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    They all do look consistant as far as color is concerned and I didnt notice anything unusual when I pulled them out such oil on the plugs etc.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those plugs look not so bad. why not put them in again, drive the car and then have a look again? I´m sure they are only so black because of the engine not running long time to get really warm. they look all really new/unused

23. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Romano, the car always smelled of a rich mixture. I think if you were here you would agree. It has been searching for an idle at cold. It does not idle at a fast speed rather it searches for an idle between 700 and 1000 rpm approximately back and forth until it really gets warmed up. Once hot the idle steady out at approximately 1000 rpm. I believe this car sat unused prior to me buying it, which I knew. I have new injectors for it which I have had and thought about as a purely maintenance type change to change them out, but maybe before I will see where the air / fuel mixture is. I don't have any emmisions testing here, so no issue there. I have a FAST (fuel, air, spark technology ) company system, similar to an innovate motorsports air fuel set up. Mine has 2 wide band O2 sensors that tie in to a display that will read both banks at the same time. What I might try and do is unscrew the o2 sensors from the exhaust and screw in the ones from the FAST system and see where we are as far as readings cold and warm. A baseline so to speak. While plugs are out it is an opportunity to do a compression test. Why not.? Thanks Mark

24. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Should be closer to 180 to 200ish. That's where mine were.

25. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would think on a basically 9.3 compression motor and atmospheric pressure being 14.7 to 1 at sea level maybe I am thinking wrong but 14.7 x 9.3 = 136.71. Maybe I am under complicating this. A bit. Maybe an engineer can chime in. It will be interesting to see where it is.