Maintenance Start Long Overdue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maintenance Start Long Overdue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Gialllo uno, Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The readings between the other cylinders is the most important. Compression gauge accuracy, Barometric pressure, throttle openning, cold motor etc. has determination on reading numbers.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it will depend how you test the compression:
    when I have been in the US I have seen that they test always only 1 cylinder with a gauge connected to the to testing cylinder and let the engine run until the gauge says the max. this I never have seen so before.
    at home I have a compression tester from motometer ( http://www.motometer.de/en/products/test-equipment/recording-compression-tester ) with a paper inside for documentation. to check with this the compression you remove all plugs and put this tester to each cylinder and crank the engine only with the starter. important is to open the trottle completely. otherwise it will show less.

mark: I think you are right: at home we have metric size and those 14.7 psi is equal to 1 bar. this times 9.3 is of course also 9.3 and with this motometer tester the last TR engine I tested had between 9.0 and 9.2 bar. my competiton has only 8.4 to 8.6 because of low compression pistons inside

3. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Hi Mark - As a data point, my TR had compression numbers in the 165 to 170 PSI range.

Sounds like you are making some good progress on your list - and adding things to that list while you go along!

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    curtis, how you tested the compression?

5. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Romano and Curtis, Thank you for the input. I did look up the compression calculation on "Sir Google" and it is probably a bit more complicated as far as the numbers go then when I did the math. I am a wannbe engineer, so we will see. Romano, I have all the plugs out and will remove the air filter and pull the fuel pump relays and I will see about opening the throttle all the way. I have never done a compression test on a Bosch injected car or for that matter any injected car, just carburated cars. I will test all cylinders and write them down and see where I am. Yes my list is getting longer.......I actually have another 5 weeks off because of my hip surgery, but feel great and will get as much done on my list as possible. The importnat things to me are the fluids and plugs etc. so I know where they all are. The cosmetic issues I want done, but aren't as high on the priority list. I did some research on Anti Freeze and it looks like obviously one safer for Aluminum engines is preferred, but need to be careful that it is also easy on Brass and Steel. The newer cars have Aluminum everything and Plastic radiators, so I dont want to say less important, but less for the fluid to react to. We have a mixture of metals and it is probably the Brass plugs in the Raditor and the Steel that can be comprimised. I looked at Zerek G-05 and it looks pretty good. I will do the best I can at getting all the old stuff out and maybe dooing it twice, flush it out and then fill with water and then flush the water out and then fill with Zerek. Thanks Mark

6. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Interesting. I just dug up my numbers from 3 yrs ago and they ranged from 195 to 210.

7. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I guess there ios more to it than simple math. I was about to start the Compression test and took out the air cleaner assembly and the rubber air horns off the air sensor plates. Here is my question , I did try and look it up on Utube and google etc. One of the sensor plates, drivers side, moves up and down freely, no binding, I would say smootly. Engine off no power on, just moving it by hand. The other sensor plate when it is depressed....stays down and does not return to the top and close off the opening. It does come back up after a bit, as I just went back out to check it out. I will post a picture of it in a minute or two. Is there something I can lubricate / clean with it on or off that would help or fix it or do I need to pull it off and get it looked at. The car was running OK but definetly rich. I appreciate the help. I will look for a book to add to my carburettor book collection!!!! Thanks Mark

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    O2 sensors are hard to get? They're standard Bosch parts if I'm not mistaken?

9. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
  10. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The plate does move back up on its own eventually, but not instantly like the drivers side. I dont know if the list ever gets shorter, just changes names. No biggie, I got some time and enjoy a challenge and learning........now if I had Brian or Steve's or Newmans skills???????

11. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Sorry I got busy.

Romano - I do not know how my compression test was done. Those are numbers from my PPI many years ago. They were completed before I got to the shop. I do know that the car was driven to the shop for the PPI so it was NOT a cold engine. Because there are so many variables in compression tests I was more concerned about consistency over all 12 cylinders and the difference between the high and low numbers.

12. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Mark - when you get ready to drain your coolant, be ready for a real gusher. The first time I did mine both the garage floor and I were covered in coolant! To this day, 12 years later, it is still a challenge to do it with minimal mess. When you pull the plug out of the radiator you get a fire hose stream of coolant. Keep a large bore funnel with a hose attached to it handy to try and direct the stream to your pan/bucket. Add that to the tedious bleeding and it is one of my least favorite routine jobs on the TR.

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    5 gallons of coolant in a TR!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Maybe I should be happy with the current coolant!!!!!!!!

15. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    And it all comes out like a "12 pack out of a frat boy"! :D