Major+Cambelts every 3 years or every 5 years? | FerrariChat

Major+Cambelts every 3 years or every 5 years?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by noony, Sep 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

3 years or 5 years?

1. 3 years

2. 5 years

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    The UK people say you need to change cambelts and do major every 3 years, but people from the USA and other places mention 5 years or even more. I'm a bit confused, could you guys tell me how often you do it?

£500-£600 4 out of 5 years, would be great, that's no more than the porsche...

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    FNA seem to recomened every 5 whilst F-UK every 3, depending on the mileage, VW recomend every 50-60kmiles or 5 years dispelling the myth that Ferrari's are service whores, they just recomend the same service intervals its just the cars arent traditional driven as much

3. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Noony id lean towards 3 years but thats my personal choice,and may even do it sooner as it would only cost me the parts, the labour is free and so are the workshop and ramp use,

Dale.

4. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Thanks Ric. So if the Americans change every 5 years then it must be ok to leave it. Unless they send cars with belts that explode after 3 years to the UK.

But it would be very hard to sell a car for a decent price that had belts due according to the 3 year rule.

5. BlueMaranello

BlueMaranello Karting

May 29, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This discrepancy is a new one to me. Andrew, are you saying that Ferrari sell exactly the same car in England and America where in England they recommend a 3 yr belts replacement and in America they recommend 5 yrs? (Both periods assuming that the mileage criteria haven't been reached)

If that's so it seems like a question to be addressed to Ferrari in Italy. The more regular periods required in the UK have a significant effect upon selling a vehicle as you basically need to have had it done within the last 18 months if otherwise your likely to get the cost of a belts service taken into account by any purchaser.

My inclination is to over-service a Ferrari if anything as, in the case of belts, the thought of 48 valves having a party by themselves just seems too much to contemplate. On the other hand if the belts should last 5 years why should we disguard perfectly serviceable parts.

I'd really like to know the answer to this one! What do they say if you collect your car in Italy - tell us where you're taking it and we'll tell you how to service it" ?

Steve

6. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Steve

Yep!!

have a look at Richard's post, not wanting to start another when should I replace thread but, if you dont use the car much every 3 years, if you drive it regularly every 5 (as per a "normal" car).

Although I replace every 3 as per Dales advice

7. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    How many people have actually had a cam belt go?

Would be interesting to know.

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've asked this question before ........ It was like being in a ghost town....LOL

I think these belts would last 10 + years but because of the potential damage to the engine if they fail, 5 years is a good safe R&R timetable. IMO

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    There was a guy on the 355 forum three weeks ago that came on and said his belts had snapped, his name was redrocks. Anyways you got ya usual sorry to hear that and this guy can help you get the job done cheeper ect. I stated that this was probably a ferrari chat first and that i would be interested to know when the belts were last changed, like how many miles ect...............never heard from the guy again, the thread went dead in short order.

10. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Strange

We all would like to hear about that. Did he say how old his 355 was? A '95 perhaps?

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    To see it go to search and put in "redrocks", I am interested to know why you would think its a 95 355. Out of interest when i was picking up some parts last week at PJ Everns Ferrari Dealership, i was talking about belt failure to one of the technicians/parts manager Martain (cool guy)about it. He told me he has never seen a belt break and has only ever seen one belt tensioner fail on a 355. Interesting ey?

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I said '95 because that was the first year wasn't it? I figure it's got to be a few years old. If I find out it's a '99 I'm going in panic mode......

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Two cars...one a 1995 355 with all its scheduled services and cambelt changes according to Ferrari law. The second car is a 1999 355 still on its original belts regardles of milage in fact they both have the same mileage. Which one is the ticking time bomb. I suppose thats why a car with full service history is valued more.

14. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    The Mechanic that does my 355 at Greypaul(Edinburgh)also said that they had never seen a belt failure and had seen only one tensioner failure that ended up as £10K repair,IMHO it is just not worth the risk therefore I stick to the 3 Years.
    Dave Mc

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    The one with the older belt......... age / mileage considered

16. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    Need views..bought my 95' 355B about 3 months ago. It had had a cambelt service 2yrs and 10,000 miles earlier, I have done 1.5K miles since buying it. I know its a complete imponderable but, would you wait to pull the trigger?

17. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    If you have not done th 30,000 miles the you can goto 5 years. I know of many that have....