Major Service #4 | FerrariChat

Major Service #4

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dom, Mar 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    It's started. I've had my 308 GT4 for 15 years, and this is the 4th major service I've had done on the car. The first was done when I bought the car, then one at 5 years into ownership, and one at 10 years. And now, the 4th at 15 years of ownership.

Larry at Ferrari Technologies in Orange, CA has done all of them, except for the first one, which was done by Marc Spencer in San Jose when I bought the car. Larry also does the annual service each year.

I stopped by the shop today at lunch, and took a couple of pics. The car will probably be done at the end of this week, but it may go into next week.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and absostone like this.
  2. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Dom,
    Sounds like you are taking good care of your car and sticking with the same mechanic. The car will reward you for it.
    Joe

sltillim, Dom and absostone like this.
  3. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Full major....not only belts every years. Now that's looking after your car !! Cheers

Dom likes this.
  4. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Well, it’s done. In addition to the major service, also did the following:

New brake pads and rotors front and rear.
    Rebuild both rear calipers.
    New brake booster.

When all was said and done, total price came to $9300. Ouch. But the car is running well.

I probably should have had the brakes done last year, but we decided that we could put it off a year as there was still a little life left in the pads. I wish I had done it last year to spread out the costs a little bit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Looking good and this will last you a while. It's only about $150/mo for 5 years. Cheaper than a car payment!
    Unless you do your belts more often as some people recommend:eek:.
    PS - like the clear cover on the carbs!

Dom likes this.
  6. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks. There was someone on Fchat selling these a couple of years ago. I couldn’t resist. I have the original cover in storage if I ever need to go back to stock.

7. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    That clear cover still looks good as new-I asked that guy about them years ago and I should have grabbed one. Love how it looks like there's nothing on it

Car looks flipping great, and I'd say it has pretty decent maintenance records also

Dom likes this.
  8. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    May I ask a question about your brake booster? You were able to source a replacement? I had that go out on my QV and sent it off for a rebuild. I had read that replacements weren't easy to come by (expensive). Just curious...

Car looks great and you take amazing care! Enjoy driving!

Franny

Dom likes this.
  9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I got lucky with that one. Larry actually had a new old stock one sitting in his shop. It was a few years old (at least 5, probably more)- he had ordered a master cylinder for another client, and you had to buy the unit with the booster. He replaced the master cylinder for that client, but kept the booster since it didn't need to be replaced. So, the end result is that I got a brand new, albeit old, booster for the car, and got a decent price for it (I understand that going rate for one is about $1500 now).