Major Service Cost | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Major Service Cost

Discussion in '308/328' started by jal111, Nov 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's well known we get screwed in the U.S. on Ferrari service compared to Europe and apparently Oz.

But, the list of stuff to be done in a major is the same.

2. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    What are roughly the hourly rates charged by Ferrari workshops in the US?

As you can see via the invoice, my guy charges $85.00 + GST 10% = $93.50.
    The Aussie Dollar is very strong at the moment so that equates to about the pre-GST figure of $85.

Bob.

3. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    To be fair, as I recall, the Mondial manual does not state you should replace timing belts, etc at 30K miles, it says you should inspect them, same with just about everything else. Replacement of belts, etc, are at 60K per the manual. Now, we ALL now that is wrong. The manual is not the bible by any means, because it doesn't adequately account for time, nor does it account for all the Ferrari bulletins that have occurred subsequent.

I had a full major 3 years and 5K miles ago (engine out-cost previous owner about 6 grand plus odds and ends). My car is in the shop right now for belts/bearings, and anything else they can find that needs attention.

From what I have seen, a "major service" runs about 5-7K in the Northeast, more if you use a dealer. A belt service runs about 2-3K, plus whatever else you need (waterpump, A/C, etc).

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Algar Ferrari is at $139.00/hour, most independents are around $95.00/hour. However, like anything else, the definition of an Hour varies greatly ;)

5. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    OK so independents in both countries are about the same. Thanks for that.

Bob.

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #31 SonomaRik, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    [note: nothing personal ]

IF you mean by restoration in return to OEM specs, using OEM parts, then I can see your point, for a concourse event [not in my desire, but understand it]

However,
    if trying to just keep it in order then I believe not so. Many of these cars are just due for new hoses, motor mounts, seals, bearings and such, and should be replaced when due, and honestly, if driven much with better parts: Keep the old stuff in a box for the preservation award.

In Ferrari terms, unfortunately, I believe they seem to be more always due than not in a 15+ year car.....

Some can last longer than 25 years..shoot, my old Model T pickup having many original parts from the 1920's surprised me at how durable they can be in certain areas....too bad we can't make some of the items more like that [had, in some areas the original bulbs, batteries -- made of wood, etc.]

Part of the major should always include inspecting parts, [ what makes them like yearly fluid changes/inspections valuable]. Catching them early leads to longer enjoyment and more constant use on the road.

These older cars [> 10 years, frankly] are not like a typical car, of course, and seem to require more constant inspection....such [I believe] is the problem of low production numbers, shifting of items during production runs on the line like bearings valves etc, AND, about as bad, out-sourcing important items to 'within spec alternative lower cost' mfgrs. That latter, especially, is what causes more heart breaks in Ferrari that paying full price on the show room floor. Differentiating the 'problem children' for certain production numbers over others is why there are DIY, and this site and why many keep a car for so few miles/years and pass the 'good car' onto someone else, IMO.

ME: I'm in for the longer haul and the greater use of the car, as if feel privileged [why are there no tongue-in-cheek emocons :( ] to finance everyone elses solutions with the best in the bus. [seems I have to explain this ? or get slammed].

I like these cars even though a PITA, and will have one in the garage, but will not skimp on the parts or maintenance: the alternative is exactly the axiom--there are no bargains in Ferrari, ya' get what you pay for and it ALWAYS Evens Out. period.