Making a Mondial safer for the kids | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Making a Mondial safer for the kids

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JoeZaff, Feb 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    So where's the problem fitting kiddy seats in the back then?

2. HarfooT

HarfooT Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    Prince George, BC
    Full Name:
    Hugo McLeod
    #27 HarfooT, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    My problem is that my Mondial T (1990- 86152) doesn't have the shoulder belt, as well, the lap belt is not a ratcheting one. So my problem is, there's no easy way to secure a kids car seat for my 2 and 3 year olds, and for the other kids who are 6 and 8, there is no shoulder belt. So i am trying to find a solution that suits both sets of kids, and if i find a way that i can keep my seat back as far as possible, i'll go for it!!

At a minimum, i'll have to mount a shoulder belt harness similar to the latest picture, but still want a solution that will work for both sets of kids without the PITA that it is to rifle car seats in and out.

So i'm thinking a 5-pt harness in the back...?

(and open to ideas!!!!)

P.S.- the Ferrari car seats in the Ferrari Store are not approved for Canada... :(

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    My '83 Mondial QV has factory 3 point shoulder belts in the rear. Car seats for my kids have been no problem.

4. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #29 Earthboundmisfit, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm also interested in this idea. My first thought was installing UAS mounts. I had this done on my other car but I believe it was "mount-ready" so to speak, from the factory so it was just a matter of installing the mount that should have been there from the beginning.

Any thoughts on if the spots shown in yellow would work? Could it be reinforced?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. HarfooT

HarfooT Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    Prince George, BC
    Full Name:
    Hugo McLeod
    #30 HarfooT, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First of all Steve, Go Leafs Go!!!

Second of all, i've been around this issue the whole winter. Trying to fit kids car seat in the back is a pain. I have tried taking the Mondial seats out and mounting the car seat... dismal failure... i tried the three point shoulder belt, but that would only work for my 6 and 8 year olds, wouldn't work for the 2 and 3 year olds...

Sooooo...

Here's what i'm going to do:

I am going to drill holes in the back square tubing centered on the back seats (shown on the picture you posted in black arrows). My mechanic will then weld tubes in the drilled out hole. This will weld the tube in making it as strong as original (if not stronger). I will then get him to weld a nut on the bottom of the frame on the engine side of the welded tube (i'll come back to the reason for that later). The top side will be flush with the top of the back deck and will not interfere with the back cover. That being said, an appropriate sized hole will need to be drilled into the back deck cover to allow for a bolt to make its way through to the nut.

The reason that the nut needs to be welded is if an accident happens, and there is tremendous torque on the bolt from the child being thrown, the frame will take the load, instead of the nut and bolt ripping through the frame and becoming dislodged.

I have ordered "Crow Belts" from Wescoperformance.com (talk to Wes, tell him Hugo sent you), which are 4 point harnesses for racing (shown in blue). They have 4 bolt on ends that will be bolted into the 1) newly created top anchor, 2), 3) will be bolted to the existing seat belt anchors, and now for the anchor 4).

Anchor 4 is for a submarine belt (google corbeau 5th slot). It is meant to be placed 60% of the way from the back of the seat to the front. (i guess to keep you from launching too far before it catches you in an accident). I have purchased 2 "grommet thingy's" from Corbeau seats in Kamloops (im sure theres a Corbeau distributer in T-dot), they are $10 each and will allow me to cut a hole in the rear seats and "clean it up" with the use of these grommets. (kinda like the computer wire grommets in your desk ;)

Anyway, i will be getting a professional to create the hole for the submarine slot in the seats and install them back into the car.

***i am hoping i can access the underside of the seat when my engine gets dropped and i have her up on a hoist next week so i can mount the 4th anchor***

So once the 4 anchors are done, and the seats are back in position with 4 point harness, the belts will service the big kids normally, they will just use the normal seat and 4 pt harness, and for the little kids, i will have small boosters made to raise them up so their shoulders are the same height as the back of the seat back.

In my mind, the 4 anchor restraint system that i will have created uses bolted on frame anchors that would be better than strapping a car seat in (let's collectively hope that this is never put to the test).

That's my plan, it is completely reversible, except for the holes in the seats, and the normal seatbelts will live in my garage until its time to sell. The bolts on the back deck can be removed, and some sort of black button can seal up the bolt hole like it was meant to be there.

I have circled around this issue and figure this is my best bet to enjoy the car with 2-3 kids at a time.

I will keep you guys posted with pictures on my progress i you like.

Hugo

6. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good luck with it! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

The Leafs won tonight, but are still 4 back of Buffalo who also has a game in hand so it's not looking good. Will be cheering for the Canucks once the playoffs get started.

7. aabryan

aabryan Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    So you didn’t have a top latch for the tether/anchor? My coupe has a 3 point seatbelt. Just curious how bad it would be going sans anchor

8. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    No top latch. unless you want to drill one as in the pics above no way to do it. 3 point belt worked fine

9. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Yikes! Zombie thread... Last post before going "dark" was 2011... then a post in 2022 quoting someone back in 2011... AND THE PERSON THEY WERE QUOTING REPLIED!!! :):):):):)

10. Ademir 70

Ademir 70 Rookie

Dec 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ademir Fedumenti