Making coffee in a Moka pot | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Making coffee in a Moka pot

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by tomc, Nov 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Miarobi

Miarobi Rookie

Dec 24, 2019
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mia Robbinson
    How did you like the taste of this coffee? Better than coffee from a coffee machine?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've been experimenting with my Moka pot a lot, as much as travel permits. My current recipe is 2 cups of near boiling water, 4 1 oz scoops of coffee, packed firmly but not as tightly as one might for an espresso. Grind size is a bit larger than for espresso. I put an inverted stainless steel shot glass over the spout as pictured above. Once the pot starts gurgling, take it off the fire, cool with running cold water.

Better than a machine? An espresso machine? No. Better than an auto drip coffee machine? Yes, by far!

T

Miarobi and wax like this.
  3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hey!

What have your thoughts been on the inverted shot glass hack?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think it gives the final product a tad more crema, which I like. I'm not sure if that's a little more pressure being generated, nonlaminar flow or what! Biggest problem is getting that hot bugger off. I use a set of silicone tipped tongs after burning my fingers a couple of times...T

5. Miarobi

Miarobi Rookie

Dec 24, 2019
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mia Robbinson
    Agree... This type of brewing coffee is also very difficult for me. I don’t drink a lot of coffee, but on some very difficult mornings, the ideal option is to put the capsule in the coffee machine and wait until all the work is done for me. Once I spent less than $ 200 on a coffee machine ( I have
    Mr. Coffee Café Barista ) and still happy :)

Sorry if someone hurt with David_S :)

6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ah crap!

These are the coffee makers in our homeaway rental for the next week...I sure hope Ania can figure out how to get decent coffee out of these...

I'm not a fan of the regular filtered coffee, so it will be the so-called Moka pots - I presume that is what I'm looking at in the pic?

[btw - this is a funny example of the power of tech today...we rented a house in the Canary Islands on the web, I wonder what coffee maker it has so I can decide if I'm packing a small press coffee maker, email the guy, he snaps a photo with his phone, whattsapp's it to me, I see it instantly, then post here, where a bunch of experienced users can tell me how to do it. Amazing. Why do we even try to do anything else with technology?:D ]

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    AzIt. This thread is your lifeline. Use the Force!
    I'm available to talk you through it, big guy.
    T
    P.s. And start an "I'm in the Canary Islands!" thread.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I already copied and pasted your notes from the first post into Ania's calendar for the first morning down there :cool:

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I assume the circled bits are the filters?!?

The contraption in front looks like the jobbie our Romanian hosts had. Admittedly, this was after a few shot glasses of tsuica (homemade Romanian hooch), so things were a tad fuzzy.

Make sure to pack some appropriately ground coffee.

T

10. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sitting here watching sunrise (it’s at a very civilized 8:01) and sipping the moka pot coffee that Ania made...it’s really good (with a bunch of milk). Sorta midway between drip coffee and espresso, perhaps slightly stronger than French Press coffee.

TexasF355F1, C50, NbyNW and 2 others like this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a pretty apt description of Moka pot coffee. Great view! What's the weather like there?
    T

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    65-75 daytime temps. Some days are sunny, others are overcast (the giant volcano mountain behind us seems to create the overcast and our rental house seems to be in the shadow). We were hoping for warmer, in town (about 5 miles as the crow flies) it was 8F warmer and sunny...cool and overcast back at the house :-(

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like the opposite of when we were in northern California. Foggy and dreary on the coast (Bodega Bay), sunny and nice inland (Santa Rosa, Napa, etc.). Have a good time and enjoy your Moka pot...T

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hey, kids - Tip for those of you who have DeLonghi's with attached tamper - The tamper can be detached. ;)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  15. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    tomc and wax like this.