Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK | Page 44 | FerrariChat

Malaysia Airlines loses contact with B777-200 enroute from KUL to PEK

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Peloton25, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They're scrapping 777s already??:(

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That one was 5 yrs ago. Of 772's, 5 have been written off, 6 scrapped, and there are at least 30 in storage. Some of these are ER's as well. As you are aware many are over 15yo, and some approaching 20. In the past anything older than 20yo was a candidate for freighter conversion, but there are no 777 conversion programs. Also some countries are implementing legislation that requires all aircraft be under a certain age, which is good for Boeing and Airbus.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Well, I was incorrect re the filter installation. I designed the 767-300 installation not the 777. I worked on the pack arrangement on the 777. I apologize. I also was assuming that contamination was the result of a quick act of sabotage instead of it being done during maintenance. Still a concern.

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The first 777ER to get cut up was at Marana around 2008/2009 after Varig went out of business(the original Varig). They let the airplane sit for 3 years in Brazil and did not take good care of it when it was in service I was told.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think what threw me off on that 777 filter instl was the tilted position. On the 767-300 the filter area had to be increased and the only way to do it was to tilt them . I was told that it couldn't be done that way and after conferring with the supplier , who said that they could be tilted as much as necessary, I went ahead and redesigned the flat arrangement to a tilted configuration. It was done somewhat the same on the 777. They were solid crenelated charcoal as I recall.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Of course your right, Pete, no discussion. What I found really problematic is not that our langage is evolving, but it is decaying, which is not the same thing; it is transforming in some kind of "pidging french", if I may say so. The paucity of vocabulary, in particular, is worrying.
    Should you accept that langage is some kind of tool for thinking, please consider that 90% of the kids today know barely more than 250 words; it means that they cannot express correctly what they want to say, and that some words are improperly used (what Bob Parks said above). How could one succeed for instance to a job application when not using proper langage?
    Besides, a small, but growing number, of white collar workers, even some executives, are now taking secret orthograph and grammar lessons because they cannot speak or write proper french...

But this would be derailing the thread, so I stop here.

Rgds

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Knowing how well these aircraft are designed and built I find it hard to believe as well. I think these are more victims of economy than actual airframe deficiency (under normal use and maintenance).

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Blame the Internet and text messages. The Internet will go down in history as the starting point of human being decline. It has killed "thinking"
    Pete

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, true.
    And this is why, being french (sorry, but nobody is perfect) I need from time to time to have a trip down memory lane, to be reminded what a great and elegant language it was in the past, even in its popular form. So, without being pedantic and going to the dizzy heights of reading Marcel Proust again, a quick read of Alexandre Dumas “en français dans le texte” (for instance, “The three Musketeers” or “the count of Monte-Cristo” ) will do the trick. Or listening to our cousins from Quebec who managed to keep some of the old French in their day-to-day language: it is sure much more entertaining than listening to the language of the suburbs…

Well, back to the topic at hand: still no official conclusion made public on that enquiry...

Rgds

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Update:
    The press here this morning says that the team of international experts that has examined the flaperon has let it know that they are "unable to arrive at an official conclusion for the time being" on the fact that the flaperon is, or not, from the MH 370 "triple seven".

One important ID plate is missing from it; furthermore, the main subcontractor that has manufactured most of the flaperon is spanish and due to holydays (??) the persons able to formally identify the flaperon are not reachable yet.

So for the time being, the conclusion has to be "maybe, probably".

Rgds

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  12. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Sounds like they should take the flaperon back to the water to see what it does, float, sink or suspend... Also, if the barnacles can be identified to a particular part of the ocean... Finally, if the flap is from the plane, does it not suggest they are looking in the wrong area? If wreckage is indeed transiting, then where they are looking isn't the right spot...?

SV

13. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Only if by "kids" you mean "toddlers." According to Stanford University, 90% of the population acquire a productive vocabulary of 250 words by 29 months. A majority have a vocabulary that size before their second birthday.

Literacy may be on the decline, but the vocabulary of the average adolescent (let alone 90% of adolescents) is vastly greater than 250 words.

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Off topic, but...

+1

My 4 and 5 year-old daughters each have vocabularies of several thousand words, which is normal. These are classic med school test questions asked during peds rotations. An adolescent with a 250 word vocabulary would fall into the 1st percentile. Such a teen would likely spend his days wandering the countryside in search of a village that is missing its idiot.

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Back to topic...

Why are barnacles a mystery? Boats get them on the bottom after awhile afloat. This flappywhatsit (part of my massive vocabulary) surely is no model of nautical stability and might reasonably be expected to have flipped numerous times during its long journey to La Reunion.

This story is getting to be more and more strange.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Official from the experts today, announced by the french judicial system ("parquet de Paris"): without any possible doubt, the flaperon found on a beach in La Réunion is from MH370 Boeing 777.
    Rgds

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

(CNN)Now even French investigators are convinced: The airplane debris found on Reunion Island in July belonged to vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, a top French prosecutor said Thursday.

Investigators learned Thursday that a series of numbers found inside the plane flaperon matches with records, held by a Spanish company that manufactured portions of the component, linking the debris to MH370, the office of Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins said.

"Consequently, it is possible today to affirm with certainty that the flaperon discovered at the Reunion Island on July 29, 2015 is that of MH370," the office said.

18. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  19. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Based on what we know, or at least what's been published, it's highly unlikely to be MH370.

Mark

20. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  21. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Deposits to Malaysia prime minister's personal account were over $1 billion, much from Saudi Arabia fund - Wall Street Journal

22. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Aircraft debris found on Mozambique beach believed to be from Boeing 777, same type of plane involved in MH370 crash - @MarkHanrahan9

23. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    #1098 KKSBA, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not much, but it's something...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. FarmerDave