Mang's Garage | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    You didn't invite her to the Mang Cave to see how you work your wood? :(

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    shoulda pulled my inner Jimmy Page and made a move on her, she’s about 20, I’m 62

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    You say that like it's a bad thing. You already had her laughing........ and she started it!!! ;)

Mang likes this.
  4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Better play it safe, these days we never know if it's gonna end in a lawsuit!! :)
    Ps: I gotta admit it was a pretty funny situation....

Mang likes this.
  5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Jumped right in today. Interestingly every single one of those rusty nails hammered back out of each piece of wood. They don’t make rusty nails like they used to. I’m about to start laying down floorboards as I cut and install. The work around the door will be challenging, but I’ve got a plan, lol. 2nd photo is a hint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Those metal ‘railings’ have been in my salvage pile for 8 years, never knew how they would go into play. Today 2 of them are in play as door frame sides. I used a sawzall to cut them and also to create a groove for the bottom to tuck into. They cap tightly 7.5 inches of present door frame and trim. They should be strong enough to hold the beast door. Once again complete construction zone, I’m done for the day, got most of the floor boards down too, and then I ran out of gas…

I use 5 gallon buckets as workbench, seat, and as buckets

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #257 Mang, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Rolling today, got all the floor boards down and continuing to evolve this door frame. One technique I’ve used is precise measure and cut of all pieces. Nothing is fastened, just literally pounded into position with super tight fit. I’ll lag bolt the serious weight requirement bits once I’ve test fitted the door.

The shed is going next level

I included a shot of my work area. There are many boards with nails sticking up, etc. it’s a full ninja course all day as I’m too lazy to put things away.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3212990 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I guess hard wood is not the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    steel for the win!

today removed the damaged ‘guts’ of the old door hardware and removed the modern deadbolt setup from the old (newish) door. I reworked the vintage parts to retain the old look. I can now deadbolt the door with a key from the outside and turn on the inside. The original handle is just a handle now. I filled in the opening with a piece of trim wood.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays, Texas Forever and Ak Jim like this.
  10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    After trying hacksaw and sawzall and getting nowhere, I compromised and used a bench grinder - I held it in midair with 2 hands and grinded away. Both cuts took an hour each. I’m patient and wanted to keep rolling, so just did it. I then set up the circular saw by clamping a 2x4 and running the saw along the board made a nice straight cut. The fit is perfect. Right now I’ve managed to dolly the door into place and called it a day…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Snails pace, but I’ve test fitted and shimmed the door for exact placement and went to mount, but discovered I need much larger wood screws than my ace can provide for those hinges mount. So this weekend down to the valley to the big box stores for hardware. In the meantime the ‘scrap’ 5” piece I trimmed to narrow the door became a perfect decorative window header - only older live edges visible. Ties in the door/window.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #262 Mang, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Cleaned up the area just outside the shed today, removed all debris, etc. from all the woodworking projects going on. I noticed the ramps leading up to the shed looked a little ‘unfinished’. In my rusty **** stash, I have 17 of these railroad track ‘hold down’s’ - they are the real thing, really heavy and they’ve been around without a planned use for a while. I stared down three of them and gave a test. You couldn’t have something fabricated that fits the way 3 side by side do. They also add a lot of ‘girth’ to the ramps, always good, and gave it a finished look. I then added a bunch of fill and the result - in the pics. There is a ‘lip’ on the side/bottom of those ramps. They cradle the outside pieces, so they are actually held in place - it is truly just good luck that they fit like they were made for this. Now have 11 left for use somewhere else.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Unfinished? Dude!

Ps. I love it.

Mang likes this.
  14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #264 Mang, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    I do too, lol. Thanks Dale. Here is a reminder of the ‘before’ on the shed. And mid development. It has become a fun project now for years. Here is also a pic of the ‘test fit’ with those railroad pieces. Nice fit. I pack everything with lots of slough, has dirt, clay, sandstone, and as it slowly hardens and runs off a little with rain and snow, leaves behind a literal concrete, that I can always adjust. Amazing natural materials around here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3220201

Attached Files:

Jasonberkeley and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  16. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    But that's not how you imagine global warming!

Mang likes this.
  17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    this is October, VERY rare this big of a storm, this much snow. They got up to 5 FEET in some areas up high with this storm. Skiing gets started this week at some resorts.

18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Great work!

Mang likes this.
  19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The moisture is much needed. Hope you guys get some good snow this winter.

Mang likes this.
  20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Shed is ready for inspection. Today I sunk the lag bolts visible in the door frames, and ‘ground’ out the shape of the deadbolt directly adjacent in the steel door frame, it’s bombproof. Still contemplating re-skinning the Murphy bed in corrugated steel for an artsy matching look. But not now, later.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

21. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Mang, that view is magnificent!!!

Mang likes this.
  22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    its from the Crystal Bay fire lookout directly up from my home, it was an amazing day here.

the recent incredible wet storm, rain for 3 days followed by heavy wet snow, cleansed foliage that was dry, dirty, full of soot from fires, pollen and dust. The heavy snow cracked A LOT of dry tree limbs, so we got self forested. Tahoe looks especially good right now.

23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Before I put the Willys away in the shed, I’m taking advantage of amazing weather. The ‘before’ photo shows original bumper and high transmitting power lights in the grill. In the after photo, I’ve added wheel well flares. They are really needed and fit the tire width. I modded a later model Jeep Wrangler bumper and ‘grafted’ it over the existing one. I am re-wiring and custom mounting those bright lights and relocating them into the fog light openings on the newer bumpers, and salvaging the original lenses. The wiring is such a pain. Ran out of daylight…

24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Bumper is mounted and lights installed and rewired in the foglight ‘coves’ of the modern bumper. I spent a ridiculous amount of time enlarging those holes to mount the toe hooks. Probably 15 hours of drilling with everything under the sun. The lights worked on the first try, so relieved. I also used my bench grinder again to modify the steel to make all this fit. I’ve got some fine tuning of all this, aligning, etc. still to finalize this project. I’ve got my eye on a 2018-2021 rear bumper based on the shape of mine and the way things are presently. Down the road…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 1555037 View attachment 3983958 View attachment 3179125 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley and vincent355 like this.
  25. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Man, I so love watching this build progress. It's like the ratrod edition of home building. Cheers!

willrace, Mang and AtomicPunk88 like this.