Mangusta Prototype Is it Operational car now? | FerrariChat

Mangusta Prototype Is it Operational car now?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    This is the gold one originally shown with a name like Ghia 5000 on the back and hand made taillamps
    instead of the Fiat 850 taillamps on the production model It also had a sunroof and I believe no chrome surround on the rear 3/4 windows, and gold wheels. I saw the car being used as a wastebasket at DeTomaso back in '80-s with a dummy dashboard but decades later I saw it in an Italian magazine with a stock looking engine (no Webers) and stock looking interior. I think someone came up with the cash to ;uy it
    and they put it on another chassis. An American shot a picture of it
    restored (or should I say; finally finished) and it had a 001 chassis number but I say if it was built on a production chassis it would have to have the number of the donor car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Paging DenisC

3. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #3 DenisC, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Yes the " buggy" prototype was in the late 80s put on a chassis. eBay seller Sylvestro had the invoice for sale about a year ago. You can see here there is no block just the intake on top of a shelf.

Attached Files:

4. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
  5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I’ve always been a fan of those especially wide rear wheels on that prototype. Wanted a set at one time and just couldn’t source them. Almost with Olcykx or however he went by had something close. But no matching pair.

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I guess if it was done by the factory, i.e. made operational by them when they were still in business, it has to be recognized as the original car made running by the factory, just one helluva long time elapsed between its debut as a pushmobile and being made a running car. However there is the annoying thought that, if a running driving Mangusta was cannibalized in the process, i.e. had its body removed and the show car body mounted in its place, then the gold car is that street car's SN, not the prototype, Ironically if they used a numberless chassis,one-- that was pre-production--and never made a road car during Mangusta production, it would fit the first description--a prototype made operational with a virgin, i.e. un-numbered, chassis. Sorry to be so picky but it would be embarrassing if the gold car is consigned at a big auction and then a seller of a street Mangusta comes up with ownership papers showing he had sold his street car to the factory to be rebodied with the show car chassis.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    I do not believe 8M501 was built using a structure from a later car but rather built from all new components.

On the other hand I would wager that a car shown at several high end venues including Pebble Beach with mostly older skin does have a former Mangusta substructure while claiming to be all original. (No I am not talking about a Serenessima Agena nor Ghia GT)