Mangusta thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    The Mangusta you bought, was it the one that did some circuit racing in Sweden in the early 80th?

2. mangustaman

mangustaman Rookie

Jul 1, 2008
    I wish.Actually I was the older short guy with silver hair, and not much of it ,sitting on left side about 10 rows back.I didnt enter the bidding until the very end. Jerry

3. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    No

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #54 F1tommy, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found this original Stuttgart Autoshow photo of a Mangusta on a German photo site.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2009 model and photography contest-Chicago April 25th 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Great thread, pics and info on the Mangusta are hard to find. Am I correct in thinking some cars has 289s and others had 302? In theory would it be possible to put IDA webers on or is there not enough space?

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #56 Mang, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    say what???

:D

http://www.mangustainternational.com/registry_detail.php?id=17

there are others, but I can't seem to link to a photo :( working on it though :)

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
  8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Jacques, what do you think of the look or 'style' of the Mangusta? Where do you think it ranks with the likes of it's styling contemporaries like the Dino, Miura, Ghibli, etc.??

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Well there is no doubt that the shape is a very sleek one but perhaps the closest car like it is the Monterverdi Hai, in fact they are similar apart from the fact the Hai appears to have a shorter wheelbase.

All the cars you metioned are in my opinion examples or road art and testimony to a time where stylists had freedon to design beautiful shapes without interference from governments.

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #60 Mang, Mar 1, 2009
    interesting comment, just last week I was in the SF Bay Area and stopped in to Fantasy Junction where an incredible line up of iron included this Maser race car, the Monterverdi Hai, and a 'periscopo' Countach (all were in amazing quality condition too!). The 'Hai' was cool, especially in PURPLE!

...the Bultaco cafe-racers were bitschen too! :)

Modulo_B and NEP like this.
  11. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
  12. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Awesome line up of cars....you are so lucky over there with the sheer volume of cars that can be seen in certain parts of the USA.

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Emilio, this one is for sale...very nice!

http://www.mangustainternational.com/registry_detail.php?id=81

for only a few dollars more, I would sell you mine, or perhaps some dough and trade for one of that 'gaggle' of Lamborghini's in your stable :)

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  15. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #65 hyenahf, Apr 3, 2009
    isnt that the pangoose? i recall hearing that it was built of bits and pieces of a pantera by the factory.

Notice the short doors and deep rockers? that gr4 wheeled goose has most or its torsional rigidity coming from the side sills rather than the central backbone
    its often been labeled (or mislabeled) as the "shelby goose"

I forgot to ask about this car when I was visiting the factory years ago.

anyone have any more info an this very interesting specimen?

warm regards

hf

Mang and NEP like this.
  16. mangustaman

mangustaman Rookie

Jul 1, 2008
    I tore into the so called Corbeau racing seats and found out that the underlying structure is indeed all factory original complete with all sliders.brackets etc. so will take a seat from my 8MA1126 which is a nice original seat and give them to my upholstery guy to duplicate on the 8MA822 seats.I heard that a standard color for beige(off white) cars was pumpkin(orangy tan) so will use that color. Anybody familiar with Mangusta interior exterior combinations used by the factory? Jerry

17. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #67 jm3, Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks to all of the Mangusta regulars. Steve Liebenow, Jerry, MikeLDrew, Mike Fierro, Doug and everybody else who helped me. The car is at the body shop getting finishing touches (antenna and mirror holes plugged). The interior is done, engine will be done when the new cam gets here, tranny done. It has not been on the road since 1974, and has 22,000 original miles.

Jay

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Nice Jay, congratz, you must be excited!!! Tell me what exact tires/sizes are you running there? They look perfect size wise, are they speed rated? what are they? :)

19. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    jay

very nice... i love that color. looks the close to the prototype bronze.

please keep us posted with updated pics

cheers

hf

20. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    it's funny how i don't even know why i love detomaso's so much..they are awesome!!

21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hadn't visisted the thread for a while, so found stacks of new pics on it, great!

Had a chuckle as well when I saw the pics of the black french car: with the cobra valve-covers, that engine is in danger of being eaten by its' host!

22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #72 Mang, May 3, 2009
    EYE CANDY!!!.....when I read your post, it motivated me to shoot some photos, I have just put a fresh coat of wax on it, by hand...the finish on this car is better than anything I have ever seen, done 14 years ago????? wtf? Can anyone explain extraordinary paint work, how do they get them this PERFECT? It really has to be seen to be believed and no one ever sees it :( .....but me :D

ps, DON'T even mention the wheels, I am working diligently on pursuing an original set, would set this car OFF! They are not easy to come by! :(

pss, BONUS Alfa shot :)

psss, Jerry (Mangustaman) being the expert he is, suggested removal completely of the side view mirrors, that the styling (as gorgeous as it already is) is compromised by those mirrors placed in the corner of the side windows...I AGREE, am thinking of NO side mirrors at all. They left the factory 'nekid' and dealers mounted all kinda different styles. Opinions are welcome :)

NEP likes this.
  23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #73 Mang, May 3, 2009
    In the past 8 mos. this is what I've been able to acquire, it is a sweetie, and motivates me to stay in pursuit (one rear magnesium, perfect condition, needs cosmetic refinishing, NEEDS SIBLINGS!!!!), lol :)

I know I don't have a 'set' yet, but am fantasizing for when I do, opinions on color..silver = obvious, no doubt would look amazing, but what about GOLD? Interior is tan and brown, gold might really be dazzling? what do YOU think? :)

24. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #74 nthfinity, May 5, 2009
    That car belongs to a friend, Dana H. Great guy; and very knowledgable when it comes to Mangusta's, Pantera's, and Cobra's.

Also, mentioned was the Chevy V8 engine'd Goose; as pictured here. While I don't know the owner well, I've met with him several times. Great guy!

Seems after browsing for an hour looking for some of my images of both these cars have been less than fruitful. I think most of them were taken in 2006, which I have backed up to another drive elsewhere.

NEP likes this.
  25. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

my first time visiting this thread...italian erotica!!!!!!!!

mang, what an awesome car. the wheels while not proper are certainly very nice!!! gotti, etoile or pls?

i also agree that the side mirors are not the best compliment to that incredible machine. wow i love the magusta. i remember well the first time i saw one.
    i was just a boy when my father came to visit my brother and me. we were in farmington, ct and stopped in at tyler motors. my dad had a bmw 2002 that we arrived in...we left in a silver mangusta!! what a memory!!!!!!!!

pcb