Mangusta thread | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Thanks and I feel the same! Same type used on GT40P 1013 in period. Any pictures fit on a Mangusta?

Mirrors are so important and mounted the wrong ones at the wrong place does completely destroy the lines and the car's character.

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    If restoring body/paint...go mirror delete

3. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Some if the early local advert cars had these mirrors mount on the front fender rather than the doors. I think the kill bill car still have them in the same location. I can't post anymore pics up ... Sorry

Yes wrong ones can destroy a cars lines much like low profile 17inch wheels in old exotics.

4. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Agree 100%. Wheels and tyres!

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I saw a story in a British magazine called I think Autos Italia which was a history of the Mangusta but the car shown had a body just like the prototype with:

-exterior Monza gas cap in black
    -black out lettering
    -gold paint
    -deeper rear wheels than stock Mangusta, in gold,
    -different headlights--one sheet of plexiglass over two headlamps per side

The MangustaRegister,com website shows recent pictures by Mike Drew including the chassis plate as having sn 8MA 001 but since it has a working dashboard, etc. and the prototype didn't (I saw it at the factory in a rubbish pile in the '80s) I would say this car now uses an existing chassis number of an existing Mangusta whose body was removed.

On the other hand, if the DeTomasos were expert hoarders they might have had a numberless Mangusta chassis to put underneath it and then they could give it any chassis number they wanted though theoretically if it wasn't assigned a number until say the 1990s well then it couldn't have been 001 back in 1966. Ford on the 100th anniversary in 2003 went back and made three more Model T Fords but that doesn't mean they are genuine Model T's built "in period."
    Sorry if I asked this before but I couldn't read through the 1000 pages to find it...

6. mossfred

mossfred Rookie

May 26, 2014
    #1031 mossfred, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Another shot...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  8. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Here is a video documenting Dick Ruzzin's Chevy powered Mangusta. You'll hear Dick Ruzzin telling the story about the car, as well as plenty of footage of the car in motion. A very fun video to make!

Chris

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg6gF_o2fG4]De Tomaso Mangusta: One of a Kind Story - YouTube[/ame]

9. Jamesark

Jamesark Karting

Nov 12, 2007
    Wonderful video! Great car and a great guy always willing to share his knowledge.

Can't remember if this is a repost but look for the blue Mangusta. Fantastic sound - 289 with webers...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thLVWszz3Tc]De Tomaso Pantera & De Tomaso Mangusta Amazing Sound - YouTube[/ame]

10. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Thanks Dick and James for some great video of these Geese! Looking at the way that later ( in the series) Mangusta seemed to be handling I am beginning to think that most of the poor handling reputation should be quarantined to the earlier cars as considerable improvements must have been made as the speed differential seems non existent through these corners!

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Another excellent reporting/write-up from Mike Gulett on this latest Mangusta sale. Blue with gold Campy's...nice looking combo! Reminiscent of Miura's sporting similar color combinations.

A DeTomaso Mangusta Sold For Big Bucks

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Big bucks because it's not in mint condition? I thought Mangustas were $200k+ for a while already.

13. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    Mangustas have not sold for $200k in the US before, at least not at public sales, and even in a few private sales I know about they were around $100k, or lower.

The highest price that I know about - Dec. 1, 2013 in London (a green Mangusta),

Sold for £203,100 (US$ 331,959) (244,870 Euros) inc. premium.
    De Tomaso Mangusta For Sale At Auction In London - SOLD!!!

In early 2013 two red Mangustas sold to My Car Quest readers for low $100k range from the US to Europe.

For sale on eBay with a Buy It Now Price of $$119,900.
    This 1969 De Tomaso Mangusta Has Sold To A My Car Quest Reader

Dealer in St. Louis, asking price was low $100k
    Two Cars Featured On My Car Quest Have Been Sold To Readers

The Hagerty Price Guide lists a 1969 Mangusta at $102k for condition 4 and $200k for condition 1. From what I am reading from readers who know this car is that it is likely a condition 4 - it sold for 2x the Hagerty Price Guide number and at the end of the auction the auctioneer said "the price guides for the Mangusta will now have to be rewritten".

14. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    That's not original paint, and I believe not original colour.

15. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

.....for Montery? This sale may bode "well" (depends upon perspective) for next "Holy Week",
    thank you for the info,

Jack

16. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #1041 DenisC, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You forgot the Monaco Mangusta approx. 360 $US
    1969 De Tomaso Mangusta | Monaco 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

Note on the California car. As stated the windshield was cracked, but it also had a bad paint job and rust issues and curb rashed rims, See pics,

This is why it was stated that the description was overstated and then that values needed to be revised

17. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    That car was a pig.... But it brought big $. And the Pantera is better to drive than the mangusta. Though at these prices... Nobody will be driving either

18. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    You are right I did forget that one, interesting it is the same color as the London car. This one at $360k is the record holder I believe.

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Ahh it's just a few extra hours for the body shop if you had it painted, the rims well thats much more difficult to fix. Glad to see the Mangusta making the climb up the value tree.

20. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Are there any cars that haven't been climbing the value tree? With the exception of new cars

21. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The Pantera, Fiat 124 and Skoda

But the Mangusta has doubled in the last year

22. John Roth

John Roth Rookie

Jul 19, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    John Roth
    I previewed this car Friday of the auction. It was horrendous. The car was literally held together by body filler. We will be getting around by jet pack when the owner recovers the cost of restoration.

23. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I cant figure out how the aluminum hatches have rust bubbles.

24. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    electrolysis

25. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name: