Mangusta thread | Page 46 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Mang it will be interesting to see how PI goes with that single headlight Mangusta on EBAY. At buy it now just under $200 US and the possibility of "fully" restored for another $50K would possibly see someone in a low milage car all be it rebuilt for under $250K.

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    wondering the quality of the restoration at $50k...I see a lot of work there. Not saying they can't or aren't capable of it, they specialize in DeTomaso - rare bits are probably lying around.

Hard to sell a car for $200k that looks like that, why not finish it and then offer it for $250k? Seems an easier sale.

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The paint alone will cost half that. Nevermind the missing components.

4. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for posting first what I also thought immediately upon seeing that "Complete ground up restoration for an additional $40,000-$50,000". I figured I was just being negative in my thoughts.

On the up-side, the engine and ZF (and maybe some of the suspension?) are already rebuilt and that alone is $15 to $20K of value. Having the car already stripped and primed is a helpful start too. However if they are missing any significant parts at all, the cost will go way higher.

Part of me wonders if they are trying to lock in the value of the car by selling it now and then securing the restoration work — all with the perfect cash flow scenario. Holding the car another year and funding the restoration themselves (and they ARE a capable shop) is extremely risky if there happens to be a "market correction" before they get it done.

Mark

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    50 K would be very optimistic especially with the condition of the body. But if they made their profit on the sale they could do the restoration at cost, so that would underwrite a good portion.

6. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Market correction or not, I no longer think that will really effect Mangusta values. Realistically one of the last 60's classic designs to be recognised and as such some resilience to market fluctuations. At the end of the day we must all concede there were only so many pre 1970's cars made that are genuinely collectable, weather that be for performance, drivability or beauty.

7. gdevelasco

gdevelasco Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Gonzalo de Velasco
    #1132 gdevelasco, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mang:

I gladly can share some details in 8MA882:

The car was a gift to the son of the then president of Mexico, Gustavo Diaz Ordaz. So the invoice is to the president, and presidents office, to avoid paying 100% duties PLUS 100% of an import permit. SO it is a nice invoice with historical value, that I still have.

I tried to buy the car in 1994, but the seller wouldn´t lower the $27k asking price, and I couldnt get it. But the car ended with a friend of mine 3 years later, o I bough it. Very seldom did I drive the car. I had it restored in 2009, for a show in 2010. The restoration was a good "20 footer", but it was really bad... here a photo of the car then....

Also a video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMAZKqMTl_U

In the next istalment I´ll share how the car ended abandoned without a roof, the following 3 years......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. gdevelasco

gdevelasco Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Gonzalo de Velasco
    #1133 gdevelasco, Jan 18, 2015
    My mexican restorer, did a decent job, but not an excellent job, the car ended among the top 20 cars of about 400. Besides the car still had the floor with many dents caused by the record number of bumps and potholes found in Mexico. So the restorer took the car back, to change the floor metal shee, and correct details. "Next year we will get 1st. place" he said....

He dismantled the car, removed the car floor, and, please do not ask how, the car ended abandoned in an open parking lot for the next 3 years !

When I realized it was abandoned, and not stored, I had the car recovered and sent to my house (in a rusted tow truck as well).......this is how I received it in January 2014.....

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    thanks for sharing, love these stories like everyone I am sure. How about parts? Are you 'whole'? I do know some folks with odd lots of parts I can steer you toward, let me know. Denis C. has a ton of information and parts for starters, he is regularly on this thread. I do recall seeing photos at a Mexican concours years ago? Is that when it was actually a '20 footer'? Love the color and keep the story developing here please. Your car has amazing provenance and should be at full glory!

10. gdevelasco

gdevelasco Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Gonzalo de Velasco
    #1135 gdevelasco, Jan 18, 2015
    Mike, Mang:

Please note how the car was: steering wheel lost the barnish, floor was non existant, and the door sills were so rusted that it really shows that some cars were bilt with metal of poor quality....

The floor of my garage is visible form inside the car.....

11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Fred Flintstone version

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Mike - Jajajaja.

If it's any consolation there was one here in Tahoe about 8-9 years ago that was worse than yours. It was acquired, then reacquired by some brave souls in England I believe. It had some good parts saved on shelves though, and also some missing stuff too. That looks like quite an ambitious project.

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I was hoping to get one of these but seems I have been priced out of the market.... again. If one come up from a private seller I would still be interested.

14. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    8MA-882 was the "source of infection", re. my enthusiasm for the Mangusta. I grew up in Puebla, México, and first saw 8MA-882 there, circa 1968-69. It took some sleuthing, but I finally found its current custodian online, and have been corresponding with him in Spanish for years. I hope to see 8MA-882 again someday. Perhaps the long-delayed book on the Mangusta will contain at least a paragraph or two about the Mangusta's which landed in México.

15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    from Sept. 1, 2011, sorry if there was already a discussion on FC about it because I couldn't find it.

Exotic Barn Find: Blue-Plate 1968 DeTomaso Mangusta | Bring a Trailer

This car looks sort of shabby. I tried to do a quick read of some of the threads from 2011 onward but the fact that several Gooses were on ebay, I wasn't sure what this one sold for.

A poster on the same site named Bleuhavana said he was the seller but I am not sure if he was just the person who listed it for the owner. At the bottom of his post he has the name Giuliano.

He said it was sold to France, so I am curious for how much.

Thanks for any info.

16. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Greetings, all.
    I recently exchanged e-mail with Unikat ModelCars in Germany, re. the ltd. prod., 1/12 scale resin Mangusta they are producing. After an initial reply, all attempts to reply failed. I also attempted to call via Google Voice, to no avail. Following info. was gleaned from the initial, e-mail I received:

Unikat ModelCars

45468 Mülheim an der Ruhr
    Inhaber: Thomas Elze
    Tel:*0208 88 37 410*****
    Mobile: 0157 752 606 46
    Fax: 0208 38 586 370

E-Mail: [email protected]
    Web: Produkte

Cheers.

17. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    I use a length of stainless steel welding rod. I do not attach it to the cable, but rather it is attached redundantly to the latch itself. I will take pic when I have a chance.

18. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Most guys run a cable attached at the same point as the original and drill 1 or 2 holes into the front and rear of the rear wheel arches to have standby hatch pull wires. Also the same is done for the front hood. I prefer to ensure the cables and attachments are in good order and in 30 odd years of ownership no miss-haps!

19. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    I have run it through the weatherstripping to avoid drilling. Still haven't had a chance to get pics.

20. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I have been in direct contact with one of the owner/partners over the past several weeks. They have a background mainly in production of model trains. The cars are new to them.

We (CMA) will be carrying these Mangusta models, but probably on a very limited basis. At the moment I am still waiting to see photos of the prototype model, etc. Edition quantities have changed as have color choices. I'm not 100% sure what colors will be offered yet, but at the moment it looks like Black, Silver, and Green. The models will be detailed curbside pieces - sealed - no opening panels.

Unikat seems to be experiencing growing pains The web site has changed a few times within several weeks, and has disappeared completely a few times (gone again today!)....... They also seem to be planning other models in 1:43 and 1:18 scales. Rather ambitious out of the gate.

Any questions please PM me.

21. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    what about the spider mangusta ?

22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Ok, looks like Unikat web site is back on line again, and with another update.

Originally they were going to produce 400 models, but have increased to 500, which I already knew. Originally they were going to produce just Black & Green colors, but I urged them to change that for best sales to: Black, Red, and Silver. Which it looks like they will now do, and also I believe a very small quantity of maybe 20 in Green.

No word yet on a Spider version. But after Mangusta is supposed to be a Pantera GT5.

23. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Should be 401 model cars built.... ;)

24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    That's a GREAT call.

25. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Are they just a recast of the 60`s plastic German made remote car?