Mangusta thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thats the car!!! What chassis number is that and who has it now?? Notice the wide
    rear wheels on the first photo. I have already had the wheels made and machined
    using computer software. The body is also almost done. This will be a high detail
    BBR style kit in 1/24th scale. I need as much information on the prototype as I can get.

Thanks.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 2010

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #103 Mang, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    GREAT photos...I gotta get me one of those suits and just pose around for black and white photos with my goose! too cool!

I would LOVE to get my hands on a set of THOSE rear wheels, that just looks sick :)

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I believe that car was the one on display at the DeTomaso factory museum. I'm not sure where it is now. Santiago DeTomaso may have it. You might check Dana Hansen's Mangusta registry at www.mangustainternational.com

5. vyprgt2

vyprgt2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2005
    CA
    Full Name:
    John
    <<It's a 12-page article with 15 color pictures >>
    any chance you could post a couple of those color pics here? I know I'd love to see them

6. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #106 jm3, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The April 1968 issue of "Sports Car Graphic" has a large article on the early Mangustas, including pics of the prototype #1, and a big pic of #3 on the cover along with many other pics of #3, as well as descriptions of the 6 prototypes including references to sunroofs, removable sunroofs and plexiglass windows.

I do not know if there were actually 6 prototypes but the article says that after the first one "there were 5 more built"

There are quite a biit of differences between the #1 prototype, the next 5 prototypes, and regular Mangustas. Are you interested in knowing them?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    According to several sources, they did build 6 prototypes. One was the open top convertible version prototype. The no.# 1 prototype had wider rear wheels and huge Webber's. It did not have an engine cover, so you could see the motor if you looked into the back window. It was supposed to have been a monster, with alot more horsepower than the production version. Holman and Moody did the engine work according to one source. The problem is no one seems to know the serial number of no. # 1. I think they might have made more than one Mangusta prototype with the glass sunroof.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 2010

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I was looking at some Mangusta pictures last night. I thought the car in the "Italian Cars" magazine was supposed to the original prototype, but it probably isn't. The car on the stand at Torino in 1966 did have a glass sunroof, and it did have the engine with the four big Webers on it, but it didn't have any exhaust pipes showing in the pictures I have seen, so it was probably not a runner at that point.

9. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #109 jm3, Sep 11, 2009
    yes, but in the Mangusta world, facts are often just what some magazine said.

In my opinion, which may not be correct, the "Spyder" was one of the prototypes with the roof cut off. Maybe even #3 (look at the front marker lights)

I don't know about the wider rear wheels or the hp. Remember that Alejandro was (no offense) a world class BSer, and if nothing else his 289 hp claims would have made it probably the highest grossing hp of any 289 ever built at that time, eclipsing the Shelby race motors (Hmmmmm)

Also, regarding prototypes, if there was only one set of wide rear wheels, then the prototype #1 and the unknown prototype with the Monza filler cap are the same car.

I think it is/was called a Ghia 5000 if nothing else.

This is covered in the article, and I'm sure some people could get heads together and figure it out, but my estimate FWIW is 3 prototypes and 2 production cars (one of which is the "Dean Martin Jr" car) have a sunroof.

10. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #110 jm3, Sep 11, 2009
    NEP likes this.
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They used those same mag wheels on the original Lancia Stratos 2nd place Targa Florio car and the Group 4 Maserati Bora 1973, so they must have made many sets.

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    is anyone aware of any of the 'prototype's' being a pop up headlight version..in 1967?

there is a claim a car like this exists.

also what is THE tire of choice for Goose owners these days? I know of the XWX and Firestone racing tire remakes (Longstone), but does anyone else have anything worth knowing about that I should research? Thanks in advance for sharing any wisdom :)

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    my ridiculously spectacular Mangusta is being offered up for sale - here on F-chat, check the ads...very sad day :(, don't ask why, just acquire the amazing thing.

14. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Wow, sad to hear this, really. You are lucky to have owned her. Goodluck!!

15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thank you for the thoughtful cooment :)

16. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #116 hyenahf, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
    cool a goose with dino/daytona type seats?

anyhow when i was last at the factory and saw the prototype, i recall virtually everybody panel was different from the production version. its also much lower than the production goose's. i think the exhaust was rectangle type flared into the body and had ventilated lower valance?? its been a few years so my memory is alittle fuzzy on this one.

the rears wheels on the proto are much wider than the production version (ive seen a few standard cars with this wider rear wheel they look perfect on the standard cars) and i believe the fronts on the proto were 8x15 (same as standard rears).

these campys on the mangusta were standard aftermarket racing wheels found on many period GR4 cars. the early alloy bodies lancia stratos proto had them on the targa florio/giro cars. al constiono use to sell them here in the states. he was an offical campy importer and he had them various cars including the camero and 911 race cars he raced at Daytona. these fantastic style wheels came in all sorts of widths and offsets with custom order PCD's. im not sure if tecnomagesio every made them although they would cast any of the old molds on special order back in the 90's. i would be great to replicate these fantastic styled wheels without hole so people can drill there own bolt patterns.

Keep the great pics coming

Cheers

hf

17. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i am sorry to hear that Mike :(

hope you and yours are all well

best of luck with the sale

Emilio

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    ditto you Emilio, appreciate the kind words, nice folks here on F-chat :)

all IS well, thanks :)

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Mike,

That's very sad news, I know how much you love your car. Cherish the time you shared with her, hopefuly she'll find a deserving custodian.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #120 Mang, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    Jack - thank you....thanks again guys, I appreciate the support giving up one of my babies, lol. You guys are cool, I'll get over it, I have had some amazing rides over the years, so letting 'em go is old hat....some amazing women too, lol! They are harder to let go :/

...on second thought...haha, the cars ARE more difficult to give up!

Jack - How'd the SA crowd react to the US soccer team's run at Confederations Cup? Looking like they will be back for the CUP!

21. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #121 Miltonian, Sep 17, 2009
    Just for fun, I looked through some old FAZA/Cosentino literature here at home, and found the Mangusta-style wheels in a few of his ads, but the ads are so sloppy you usually can't tell what he's talking about. It appears that he at least claimed he could get these wheels (#40802) in widths from 9" to 12", or even up to 15" (another ad). This was almost 40 years ago.

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #122 F1tommy, Sep 17, 2009
    Here is the artwork we made for the wheels. They are now pattered in 1/24th scale with amazing crisp detail. We made some slight detail changes before printing.
    The wheel bolts are different for the Mangusta, Stratos and Bora Group 4, so the wheel center shows blank in the photo. The 914 wheels photo you show are slightly different than the Mangusta wheels.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Mike,

Although I am Dutch originally, and the name Ajax rings a bell, I really don't know the first thing about soccer. Oh, I know we have Ajax here in Cape Town as well:)

You guys can have all the cups you want!

Apologies for the o/t post.

24. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #124 hyenahf, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

nice find. stunningly beautiful wheel.

if your think his ads are sloppy and difficult to understand your should try talking to him...lol

still love the guy with all his faults.

cheers

hf

25. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    #125 Daryl, Sep 18, 2009
    That's very interesting. I wanted to come up with some more accurate looking wheels for a Mangusta model I have, so I took dimensions off my full size Mangusta and built a CAD model. Then I exported an STL file and had it printed on a 3D printer at 1/3 full size. Here is the CAD model and shots of the 1/3 miniature.